1. Entertainment

Two More DAYS Stars Fired

By January 21, 2008

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but fan favorites Martha Madison (Belle) and Brandon Beemer (Shawn) have been let go and will finish wrapping up their storylines in a few weeks. No official final airdate at this time has been set. Martha Madison confirmed it on her website message board today, January 21. Many fans, including myself, are in complete shock over this decision, especially since they are such an integral part of the show and part of the Philip/Chloe mix. Martha recently signed a new contract with the show for two more years, but as we all know by now, contracts don't mean a thing anymore. More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Pictured: Martha Madison and Brandon Beemer (Belle and Shawn)

Paul Drinkwater / Copyright 2007 NBC Universal

Comments

January 21, 2008 at 6:06 pm
(1) DRinGA says:

I hate that the characters of Shawn and Belle will no longer be on the show, but I have never liked the actors playing the characters. Both MM and BB have no chemistry together but I must admit I hate that the characters are leaving, this is a real shocker.

January 21, 2008 at 7:18 pm
(2) Rich says:

Don’t forget, John left and is back along with twenty others. I think it’s time for blinky blink to leave!

January 21, 2008 at 7:40 pm
(3) mom says:

I am very shocked. The only good story line is Belle & Philip. There chemistry together is unbelievable.It’s up there with JOhn & Marlena.When I see Belle & Philip together, I am amazed. There really isnt any chemisty between Belle & Shawn(Brandon) HOwever, Belle & the old shawn were great! I am unsure how they can have this soap continue with out them.They are the show. Martha Maidon is a fantastic actress, they just give terrible roles.Maybe she’s better off, she’ll get picked up by another soap, she’s too good not to.

January 21, 2008 at 8:08 pm
(4) Jenny says:

I think that Shawn and Belle should stay on the show. I think that they makeja wonderful couple. Belle needs to be there to help John get his memery back……

January 22, 2008 at 8:43 am
(5) Staxelle says:

anyone know why they got fired?

January 22, 2008 at 1:23 pm
(6) DENISE says:

MR CORNDAY MR SCOTT EALLY WANT THE RATING TO SINK EVEN LOWER!! IAM SORRY TO SAY THIS THEY ARE SINKING THE BOAT .ENOUGH WITH THE PINK SLIP WORK WITH THE ACTORS YOU HAVE NO MORE NEWBIES, WRITE SOME THING GOOD ,

January 22, 2008 at 2:08 pm
(7) Haley says:

I have to say, I never liked either of the actors (but always loved the characters)… however, Martha REALLY impressed me with her scene when John came back!!!
AND they’re finally in a storyline where I wonder what’s going to happen–not the live tri/quad-angle, but Belle’s ties to CB DiMera! I would be fine if Shawn were recast, but for both of their characters to leave the show (for now, at least)?!? STUPID

January 22, 2008 at 3:48 pm
(8) mark says:

WOW ! What is going on here now ? Martha and Bradon gone as well ? What gives ? I just don’t understand Days anymore at all.

I do have one question though. Since the writers strike is still going on is Hogan Shefer still writing the show or is someone else doing it ? I can’t keep up anyomre.

I wish the strike would end soon. I think it’s made the whole tv season awful and I am kind of getting tired of the repeats and the reality shows now. I miss 2 of my favorite new shows already. The Big Bang Theory and Back To You. I wonder what is going to happen to them this fall ? I already miss Dsepaerate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters.

January 22, 2008 at 5:24 pm
(9) daysofourlives says:

Hi everyone,

It’s good to see some of you posting regularly on here. I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. To answer your question, Mark, here’s a link to an article regarding the scab or replacement writers:

I will have another article about the writers’ strike written soon!

As for why MM and BB were fired, many speculate it was just one of those storyline dictated decisions, but a foolish decision in my opinion.

This is a hot topic right now in the forum:

January 23, 2008 at 8:34 am
(10) Rachel says:

The old saying goes: “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” I don’t believe it for a minute. It’s just another Drake stunt. They’ll probably be gone for a few months. Everyone will probably think they’re dead or something and then poof, they’ll be back. Don’t get upset people. We’ve seen this happen too many times for that.

January 23, 2008 at 9:44 am
(11) Anne says:

I’m very disappointed to hear that Belle and Shawn are leaving. Although, not core characters, they, along with Claire are part of the legacy of Bo and Hope and Marlena and John. How can they fire the actors that portray such important roles?
I hope, at least, that they will bring back the characters at some point because they are pivotal to the Brady family story.

January 23, 2008 at 1:31 pm
(12) sandi says:

We have all seen the other pivotal actors fired then brought back a little while later, as will these two. The thing is, I think, contracts are being rewritten to lower pay status and any other perks the older character’s actors are getting, to make the show cheaper to produce without taking out the show itself.

January 23, 2008 at 5:55 pm
(13) Ann Rochelle says:

I believe that Days is on the right track by firing Brandon Beemer. I agree that Brandon had no chemistry with Martha. So why not bring back Jason Cook as Shawn and resign Martha to resume her roll as Belle. This couple did have chemistry and these two would work out better in their roles as Shawn & Belle Brady. You just can’t move out two important Bradys and not suffer the consequences. Eliminating these characters
from the cast of Days certainly won’t help your ratings, in fact, it will only upset the viewers you do have. Re-think your decision, please. You’ve made mistakes before with the Days cast and this is another example. Wake up and listen to those of us that watch the show every day.

January 24, 2008 at 12:11 pm
(14) the king says:

how can I put it o yeah That stinks!

January 24, 2008 at 7:38 pm
(15) kayla says:

i really don’t understand your decision,but since you are firing martha and brandon i really hope that you consider bringing back kirsten storms and jason cook. i have always hoped that they would come back!

January 25, 2008 at 2:21 pm
(16) Yisema says:

I am shocked to know they have fired Martha and Brandon. They shouldn’t take another child away from Bo and Hope. I would love to know how they are going to replace that role without Shawn and Belle? Is the soap endging?

January 25, 2008 at 3:14 pm
(17) izzie says:

What’s going to happen to Claire?

January 25, 2008 at 8:34 pm
(18) Jessica says:

I don’t care who plays Shawn and Belle. I just want these characters on the show and together!!

January 26, 2008 at 11:12 am
(19) mark says:

I want to know what is going to happen to with Claire as well.

They just hired that 4 year old to play her and then, they want to get rid of Shawn and Belle.

I am not liking the storyline about Claire getting kidnapped.

January 26, 2008 at 5:21 pm
(20) Wilma says:

Bring back the old Shawn and Belle.These two suck.Why is Philzy on the show.He stinks to.And lets not forget the college girs. P U they stink.Next story line will be Philzy molests Claire.

January 26, 2008 at 5:28 pm
(21) dishy says:

Martha (BELLE) is a brilliant actress! The show needs Marlena and her 2 daughters as the three blonde vixens. That is messed up. Brandon Beamer was never a good Sean but I think they did not write for him as an actor (HELLO WRITERS) THe show has gotten stupid but maybe they will bring back Vivan as Stefano’s nemesis. Who knows. Smoke a bong and enjoy.

January 26, 2008 at 5:43 pm
(22) Karen says:

Yee Haw, just leave them gone! Their story stinks, the old Belle just whinned all the time, and this one is not much better. I wish they would have let John stay dead! I cannot stand him. Chelsea, Stephanie and the college girls has got to go too. This would have been an ok story line for the summer months for teens to see, if they had told the story in the right way. I would like to see the older character story lines. Victor/Aunt Viv/Kate. Now there was a story. Bring Sister Marie back, now that she is no longer a sister imagine the posibilities. Maggie and Micky, Laura and Bill. I like the 40ish people also, but what was the point of bringing Kayla and Patch back? I have seen no real romance with them. I mean come on, a baby at Kayla’s age? I could see if it was a surprise with the change of life. Let Max go back to driving and have some real NASCAR drivers make appearances, let him meet a grown woman driver and have a hot steamy affair. No more died and come back time and time again, no more memory loss. BRING BACK THE ROMANCE DAYS IS KNOWN FOR. I for one, do not think anyone in Salem is getting any sex. I say these things because I have watched this show since day 1, and have seen it go straight to h*l*.

January 26, 2008 at 5:47 pm
(23) Donna says:

Never did like Brandon or Martha, but did watch when their scenes were playing. Would like to see Kirsten and Jason back. Now, that was chemistry. She always seemed to need him and love him so. Will be looking forward to the writers rewriting new actors back in the fold later on. Poor Phillip, guess he gets the boot next. If they are going to get rid of Billie, they need to get rid of Chelsey even though she has Bo. Watching half of these families just don’t get it.

January 26, 2008 at 6:38 pm
(24) Crystle says:

I love both Shawn and Belle. It is very dissapointing to think these characters are being written out of the show.

January 26, 2008 at 7:19 pm
(25) Pam Miller says:

Why Dont they Bring The Old Shawn And Belle

January 26, 2008 at 7:23 pm
(26) Patti says:

I started watching DOOLS with my grandmother in the early 70′s. I can remember seeing the love that Alice & Tom were suppose to share, which was the love I grew up seeing in my own home with my grandparents. Then you had Marlena & Roman, then John & Marlena, which they could make you believe in Fairy Tale loves. I actually got sick at school a couple of times, so I would not miss a few episodes. Then my grandma caught on to the time I was getting sick on those days & how I was fine afterwards….lol Then you have Bo & Hope, which is the generation that I related to. So now you have Shawn & Belle, I agree that the characters do not show the same type of chemistry that the old Shawn & Belle had. I still think they are both wonderful as an actor or actress. So I say bring back Jason Cook & Kirsten Storms. They have that same chemistry as the veterans on the show. Remember you have got to capture the younger audience also. Just as I feel in love with all the veteran characters on the show, so will the younger audience. Our younger generation is looking for love, in all the wrong places, why not show them the way 2 people are suppose to act when in love. I loved the purity line between Shawn & Belle… My daughter has now watched this show, actually since she was born…lol Since she was old enough to understand a soap she has tried not to miss an episode. She is in Shawn & Belle’s generation. Actually she almost named her daughter after Belle, what does that tell you about how important these characters are on the show, my cousin plans on naming her daughter after Belle, is the only reason she didn’t. Earlier today I was watching the shows from last week, cause I put them on TIVO, I looked over & caught my 2 yr old granddaughter watching. When I fast forwarded, she said no grandma I wanna watch this. So that is 5 generations in our family that is or has watched DOOLS….Please keep the younger characters going, so at least some kids watch soaps instead of MTV…Sorry I had so much to say…. but when you believe in something it is worth letting everyone know….

January 26, 2008 at 8:21 pm
(27) Chantal says:

Nooooooooo What is going on with Days I love love Martha and Brandon. Days wont be the same with out them.

January 26, 2008 at 8:23 pm
(28) Rosalie says:

Shawn & Belle are the next Bo & Hope – we need them to grow up with. I was not disappointed in the new Belle – she did a great job and was more mature from the beginning. The new Shawn however, never seemed right for her. Jason Cook would be great back again. He was very sexy and had great chemistry with Belle. Don’t lose these characters, they are too much of the show.

January 26, 2008 at 8:33 pm
(29) Sue says:

Oh,Oh,Oh…changes are usually never good, until we get used to them.
MM & BB story line is a good one. I agree that the on screen chemistry is questionable, but KS acted way to young to pull of the part that MM has played. I have grown to love her and would like her to stay.
John back??.. they never should have killed him just to wrap up the Colleen story. He may be Colleen’s son, but who is his father?? Certainly not Santo, that would make him only 8 yrs younger than Grandpa Brady!
The college girls should all go. Chelsea’s storyline is now dead(like Ford). Stephanie plays a little girl acting grown up and out of the house for the first time. That is not the tough strong female & former race car driver we were introduced to. I know that they like to up the age of kids on soaps, but downing the age is a great error. The whole Ford story was just a waste of the writers time(thank goodness for fast forward).

January 26, 2008 at 11:55 pm
(30) Carol Tomkosky says:

I’m so tired of watching anymore, i loved this show, but as soon as you start to finally get involved in a great storyline ,with younger actors, their gone, maybe it’s time to change writer’s again, I don’t know who you want to watch this show, the younger generation,that will be around longer or the senior citizens, or perhaps no one, this show has really gone to downwards latley, i hate to even turn Days on anymore, how many times do we have to watch the same thing over and over , keep these yonger actor’s and start making the storyline’s more interesting, Shawn and Belle finally had a chance to really get some great storylines, and bam, just toss them out and bring back ,people from the dead to continue with the same old thing, it’s really starting to get old,AT first i really didn’t care for either character ,but they have proven they can get the job done, what is going on ,i just don’t get it, I hate to see your ratings this year, could have been a great show, but now i don’t care if it get’s cancelled i’m sick of watching the same old thing, Wake up already . we need these younger actor’s

January 27, 2008 at 12:03 am
(31) Sheilagh Howe says:

How sad, not only will the whole show be ending at the end of 2009 but prior to this they are taking the second and third generation main characters off before??? Man oh man…….such is the days of OUR lives…whatta bummer! I’ve personally been a fan for 3/4′s of the 40+ years it’s been on the air and won’t watch another soap when it’s gone…

January 27, 2008 at 3:30 am
(32) sue says:

wow i am so happy now to hear they are fired .they are so boring on the show now days can go back to being the good days with better stories.to many kids on the show is boring

January 27, 2008 at 8:39 am
(33) Brenda says:

I think there is to many stars going maybe I will be one to stop watching the show all together I have watched itbfor years, and I like both actors
So why keep taking stars off you arent going to have ashow, take stenfo off we dont need him

January 27, 2008 at 8:55 am
(34) Lara says:

I must admit, I’m thrilled. I have NEVER liked the “new” Belle and Shawn, especially Brandon Beemer. I have even gotten to the point where I don’t even like to watch interaction between the two of them because Kirsten Storm and Jason Cook were fabulous together. Bring them back!

January 27, 2008 at 9:46 am
(35) Natalie says:

The writers are taking the easy way out. I love Belle and Shawn. Jason Cook should be rehired. The new Shawn has no chemistry with Belle.I’ve been watching for 40 years and since the young mr corday has taken over and made this a Christian program, it is the biggest waste of time on air..I’m not interested in seen the same old Marlana saving John. We all know there’s a chip in his brain that has to be removed. Been there done that. Get rid of the frat girls. That’s a lame storyline. Maybe it’s time to change writer’s again.the show is going from bad to worse.How many times do we have to watch the same storyline over and over , keep these yonger actor’s and start making the storyline’s more interesting, Shawn and Belle finally had a chance to really get some great storylines, and bam, just toss them out and bring back ,people from the dead to continue with the same old thing, it’s really starting to get old. what is going on ,i just don’t get it, I hate to see your ratings this year, could have been a great show, but now i don’t care if it get’s cancelled i’m sick of watching the same old thing, Wake up already. what happened to the idea of extended families with real lives? Mr Corday watch some of the old episodes and see what soaps are supposed to be about. Look at Alice and Tom, Bo and Hope. Shawn (Jason Cook) and Belle. They would follow in the Bo Hope tradition. What’s wrong with you? You’ll never get ratings with the garbage you’re producing.

January 27, 2008 at 11:30 am
(36) Merc says:

Though I am not a favourite of the Brandon and Martha combo , the chemistry between the 2 is not the same as of that of James and Allison.Nevertheless, the question is Why have they been let go especially after Martha had renewed her contract for another 2 years?

January 27, 2008 at 11:45 am
(37) Corinne says:

I don’t like that Belle and Shawn are being wrote off the show. I hope they are just replacing them with other actors. I like the story line with Belle, Shawn and Phillip. How can they take them off they are the next Bo and Hope.

January 27, 2008 at 12:00 pm
(38) janiebell says:

If Shawn and Bell must depart, at least let them get Clair back and learn that Brady is great. Then Shawn, Clair and Bell can sell off into the sunset together.

January 27, 2008 at 12:03 pm
(39) Nancy says:

Since they just renewed her (MM)contract,
I think they must be up to something. Why risk the expenditure, if only not to use the actor?

January 27, 2008 at 3:20 pm
(40) Cheryl says:

I think that Belle and Shawn are a big part of this show and NEED to be rehired. What is going on with with all the firings? Leave well enough alone. Belle and Shawn NEED to be on the show to make this whole Days of Our Lives things keeps going. I love the show and record it every day so that I am able to watch it, they can not leave and maybe if enough people write in they will have second thoughts.

January 27, 2008 at 7:14 pm
(41) zitajones says:

AS AN AVID FAN OF DAYS SINCE I WAS 17, I AM APPALLED AT WHAT THE WRITERS HAVE DONE TO A GREAT SHOW FOR THE PAST SIX YEARS! I REMAIN LOYAL NO THAT I AM 53 YEARS OLD. BUT WHAT MADE THIS SHOW WORK, WAS THE COMMIITMENT OF
THE SHOW TO BRING THE ORIGINAL ACTORS TO PLAY THEIR ROLLS. I PRAY THAT MS. STORMS AND MR COOK COME BACK AND SHAWN AND BELLE. THAT WAS CHEMISTRY! DAYS WAS JUST COMING BACK AFTER BRINGING JOHN,STEVE AND STEFANO BACK. PLEASE DON’T SPOIL IT AGAIN.

January 28, 2008 at 8:11 am
(42) Dawn says:

I want to thank the writers for removing Shawn and Belle from the show. This decision will ultimately result in my getting 5 hours of my life back per week! They were my favorite young couple on the show – second only to Bo and Hope in my opinion. While I llove MM as Belle, the writers have not been kind to NuShawn – writing for him mainly as distant, wooden man. I do like to actor, although my heart belongs to old Shawn!! However, Marlenas daugther and Bo and Hope’s boy are integral characters on the show and SHOULD NOT be written out. They belong on the show, and TOGETHER. However, if this is the only way to keep Phillip’s hands off of Belle (he is way, way too touchy given their situation, then I’m happy to see them gone! If this is a feeble attempt to stir up fan interest, it may just backfire as MM is way too talented to be unsigned for long. And although Brandon is no Jason, he is growing on me. Keep them both on , write some good stuff for Shawn, and put them together with a little happiness!!! The fans deserve that.

January 28, 2008 at 8:16 am
(43) A. Douglas says:

What is wrong with Days?? Don’t they want to keep their viewers??? Belle and Shawn have been a integral part of the storyline, not a good move at all to keep viewers. I am very disappointed.

January 28, 2008 at 11:28 am
(44) Cheryl M says:

Hallelujah and praise God!!!! I have NEVER liked these actors; they just were not Belle and Shawn! Perhaps Days will bring the characters back someday with either the original actors who created the characters or new actors.

THANK YOU DAYS!!!!!!

January 28, 2008 at 11:55 am
(45) Chris says:

That’s it for me. I never did like the new Shawn, but Martha Madison was great.
I love that Jay Johnson is back. Jay and Martha had great chemistry.

Get rid of Marlena. I am so sick of her trying to get her memory back and John again.

And Cloe…. You are wasting money

January 28, 2008 at 1:22 pm
(46) chris says:

Today again, I am bored stiff with Marlena trying to get rid of Stefano and Marlena
trying to get John’s memory back.
Yawn……………

Belle and Philip are the only reason I keep watching

January 28, 2008 at 3:06 pm
(47) Raphael-Jo Chaim-Anshel says:

I’m very upset that they’re leaving i like them individually as actors. I like seeing them. I could see changing the story line more, but their important to the FAMILY of Bradys, Hortons, and Blacks.

January 28, 2008 at 7:13 pm
(48) Nikki says:

If they don’t replace them, then I think they should rack up “Days”. This is getting old (fire, then bring back)get with it. The ratings will never come back up if they keep doing this. Who’s next, Sami, Bo, Hope…..

January 28, 2008 at 10:32 pm
(49) sabrina says:

I am outraged by this i love shawn and belle they are the only reason i watch the show i havent liked another couple this much since austin and cary all though i do like brandon i think that jason cook is better with martha…..if you want to help save shawn and belle please go to the web site and sign the petition

January 29, 2008 at 7:45 pm
(50) Dorothy says:

It should have been Philip and Cloe. Philip is a creep. I have never cared for this part or any of the actors especially the current one. Cloe was so good formerly but now her part makes no sense. Bring back Belle and Shawn.

January 30, 2008 at 4:58 pm
(51) Renee T says:

I have been rooting for Bell & Shaun since they were kids. I only wish they could get the original Bell & Shaun back I would be so happy.
Anyway, I love what the new writers are doing with the show. It has been many years since I could hardly wait for the next days episodes.
Good-real good job guys.

January 30, 2008 at 8:26 pm
(52) Amanda says:

This is crazy. What are they thinking taking Belle and Shawn off the air???? Replace them or something!

February 2, 2008 at 6:46 pm
(53) Renee says:

I have been watching Days since I was ten years old, 1965. In fact, we have five generations in my family who have watched over the years. I would like some of the old caractors to return. Examples: Micky and Maggie’s daughters, Melissa or Sara. Marie’s daughter Jessica, who is Nicks mother. Perhaps some Hortons. Maybe Kimberly, and her kids and Shaine also. It would kind of go back to the original triditions and give a foundation to the show. bring things from the past connect with today. Maybe let Colleen Brady stay, and build a story around her, perhaps she and Stefeno can get involved. Mike Horton and Jerrimy, along with Robbin or Carrie. Connect the people of today with the past. Maybe Victor can rekindle things with Kate. Why did Adrian leave, Justin and their boys could add some flavor. You have to connect families back. In fact, I like Phillop and Bell much better than Schawn. Vivvian brought lots of spunk to the story as did Collipey. There needs to be more secrets and family dramma. Rekindle the magic and the Tom and Alice tridition. I will, however watch till the end of Days. Loyal I am, and although the younger audience is it for the advertizers, there are many baby-boomers who spend lots of money, and have it to spend. for me, the oldies but goodies are it. Jack and Jennifer were the best. Bill and Laura were great too, although the original Bill died. some of us live for the intricate stuff. Perhaps Julie and Doug can have her brother Stephen, or Juli’s son David or Scot return. I was sick when Another World left the air. Perhaps some of the former caractors from Another World can re-appear on Days, why not? I won’t watch anything but Days now, and bringing some of Another World’s caractors to Days would be interesting. You know, Rachael, Joe and Paulena, Vicki and Jake, Donna, Michael. Maybe Cass, Amanda,Falishia, Mat. Couldn’t hurt…

February 3, 2008 at 10:03 pm
(54) MsFlo says:

I am glad Shawn and Belle are being taken off the show. I never liked them in the first place. They are way too childish. Thanks to the writers for eliminating these two children. Neither are good actors.

February 6, 2008 at 11:23 pm
(55) Rhonda says:

I have watched Days all of my life. Lets put some Jack and Jennifer back in Lets get the magic back!!!!!!!!!!! I miss the romance and passion. It has turned into just another boring soap opera. I cant believe no Shawn or Belle

March 21, 2008 at 12:32 pm
(56) Ann says:

So this monday is it for Belle & shawn Brady. I think your decisions about cast changes is really, really awful. Keeping many of the other Days cast members and letting the parts of Belle & Shawn fade into the sunset just doesn’t make sense. With the changes you’re making, no wonder this soap is in trouble and you definitely need a change in the person at the top, making such awful choices. Days is headed for the trash can, if help doesn’t arrive soon. Viewers are dropping, every time you make changes to the cast. Leave them alone and let us viewers decide who stays & who goes.

March 19, 2010 at 3:31 pm
(57) pinky gwanisheni says:

its a gud thing eliminating these couples they bored me i just miss the old couple kristen storms and jason cook they were so inspiring. i never watch days since this couple left and i’ve always pray that they will come back they will just make my life.