1. Entertainment

DAYS Renewed by NBC

By November 12, 2008

According to Variety, NBC has reached an agreement with Sony Pictures Television which will keep Days of Our Lives on the air until September 2010. The current contract was set to expire in March of 2009, and many were wondering if NBC would renew the show at all. DAYS could possibly remain with NBC until September 2011 if certain parameters are met, which include cast changes.

This is good news for DAYS fans, but we don't know at this time what it means specifically for many of the beloved cast members. We certainly don't want it going off the air, as many of us have loved this show for decades. For the time being, we can just breathe a sigh of relief and be glad that our beloved show will be around for the next two years.

Pictured: Bryan Dattilo (Lucas), James Scott (E.J.), Arianne Zucker (Nicole), Nadia Bjorlin (Chloe), and Alison Sweeney (Sami)

Trae Patton / Copyright 2008 NBC Universal

Comments

November 12, 2008 at 5:35 pm
(1) anne says:

good news, but could be better. i hope the cast changes aren’t drastic!

November 12, 2008 at 11:11 pm
(2) Jaime Dilella says:

i not believe it . i hope days will be chancelled.in 2011 im very happy that days will be chancelled soon so prossible.

November 15, 2008 at 7:10 pm
(3) LORI says:

I am so glad it has been renewed, I can’t figure out why the other major networks can support 3 or more daytime dramas and NBC can’t. I have watched Days for years, watched it with my mom when i was little. i love this show, and it has to keep evolving. i think the storyline with Nick right now is great, even though it probably means he;’s on his way out the door. soaps are best when the good guys turn bad.

November 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm
(4) Patti says:

I’m glad Days has been renewed. I’ve watched since it started. Please bring the story line back to Marlena & John, Bo & Hope, Kalya & Steve. Tony & Anna and Stefano, These charaters are Days. It would be great if they can being back Jack and Jen.

November 15, 2008 at 11:59 pm
(5) Donna says:

It’s nice that DOOL has been renewed, but if it is at the expense of dismissing relevant characters that we have loved over the years … I’ve watched since Day One … it is a big mistake and will just downgrade the show. Actually, it can’t get much dumber than some of the scripts are now, with the childish banter between Sami & her guard, and not having a decent story for Phillip (Jay Kenneth Johnson). If DOOL does go off the air, it will be it’s own fault.

November 16, 2008 at 1:04 am
(6) Barbara says:

I totally agree with the previous poster. I have watched Days for over 30 years. It is boring. The long time cast memebers are never seen, and all these new ones are brought in. If this is because of budget cuts, then they might as well have cancelled Days. And, get some new writers.. spend some money on this. the story lines are boring and last way too long.

November 16, 2008 at 3:20 am
(7) dee says:

i am so glad days will still be on..the story is much better now.last year all the stories were about the kids that was so boring..now that 2 guys from passions is on it .it is fun to watch. having the stories about the older ones is more like the old days..

November 16, 2008 at 7:00 pm
(8) Linda Smith says:

I’m glad I will be watching Days for a few more years, when they go off the air, then thats when I stop watching any soaps.

November 16, 2008 at 7:57 pm
(9) Ann says:

thank goodness if i couldnt see days i dont know what i would do esp ej i adore him sammy all you guys are like my family

November 16, 2008 at 8:47 pm
(10) midgekemp@bellsouth.net says:

i am really happy that days has been picked up. i love this show. i was crushed when you cancelled another world. if you cancel days that will be the end of my soap watching. please bring back jack and jen, alice, mickey, kayla and patch, bo and hope. john needs to aquire a brain

November 17, 2008 at 12:18 am
(11) Brenda says:

Bring back the John we know and love and incorporate some of the new Johns characteristics because he is funny! But please bring the super couple back!!!!! Along with the other great couples… enough with Sami and Ej already can’t Lucas and Sammy just get together and make us happy and then let them get into some kind of mischief

November 17, 2008 at 1:15 am
(12) janiebell says:

I have watched daysof our lives sence Dr. Tom Horton was Chief of Staff at the hospital and Alice Horton was lead voilteer and was over the candy strippers. I saw Bill go off to prision for a murder he didnot commitandwhen Bill came home again Doug soon followed. I saw Tommie and Marie “fall for each other” only to learn they were brother andsister. I saw Mickey at the farm where he met Maggie. I saw Addie come home again only todie andleave baby Hope. I have seen ever thinkable plot played and replayed somany times that I almost know “what’s next”, yet I remain “still hooked.’ I was rilly hopeing that Days would ride off into the sunset.

November 17, 2008 at 1:35 am
(13) tuniepepper says:

Everything has a beginning, a middle and an end and after over 40 years maybe itis time for Days of our lives to bid allus viewers a fond fairwell.

November 17, 2008 at 1:55 am
(14) Misty says:

There are justso many ways that storylines can be written. If days is going to stay on the air so much longer, new story linesneed to be written. Sami has been in witness program and trying to keep a pregnacy frome the farther more times than one., Why let Sami b pregnant sosoon anyway? Sami is a smart girl does she not know about birthcontroll? Nachol is always trying to latch on to some rich guy. Cholie cannot make up her mind witCH WAY SHE IS GOING. Lucis is not so smart to not know hebelongs with Sami. E.J. just wants a girl in his life and inhisbedand doesnotcare who sheis. Yes if days is going to remain on air there must be new never used material.

November 17, 2008 at 10:48 am
(15) idelio Valdes says:

i am glad that days will be around but i have a suggestion please keep the vets around they are the reason why i see days even though i understand that we need new characters to keep the show around balance the show. Bring new characters that are connect to the vet

November 17, 2008 at 7:17 pm
(16) Dorene says:

I was so happy to hear that DOOL was going to be renewed, then I heard about the budget cuts. That did it for me, I’m a long time viewer and I understand you want younger viewers, but what about the people who have followed it for years? Then to take so many main characters off, and having the others grow up so fast, its just crazy. The young kids today don’t care about the soaps like we veterans do. Why does everything have to be geared to keep the young happy? We have feelings and rights too, and have watched for so long they are like members of our families, by getting rid of them you are getting rid of us. Think about it? Who spends the time and helps keep the show going for as long as it has? Long time viewers! We should have the stronger voice about what we want to see! Remember that!

November 17, 2008 at 9:23 pm
(17) nancy h. says:

This is for the dummys that don’t want to watch Days of our lives .TURN OFF YOUR TV !!!!Because we fans love the story. We have been watching it for years and we hope to watch it for for many more

November 20, 2008 at 1:21 am
(18) Barbie says:

With John and Marlena gone there isn’t much left to watch. All the young kids and their storylines are very boring and made to fast forward on the vcr. This has always been an adult soap opera and now has changed for teenagers. The original stars that make the show have mostly been cut over the years and I feel like some of the others, take the soap off the air as it is not interesting to us long time fans.

November 20, 2008 at 5:23 am
(19) cinder says:

Days has seen better ‘days.’ So sad. The show is on its last legs.

It shouldn’t have been renewed. It should have been allowed to end with dignity.

November 20, 2008 at 11:33 am
(20) Jenny says:

Although I am glad the show was renewed, it saddens me that they would remove Drake and Deidre in favor of hiring some of the actors they have, that portray completely new and seemingly unnecessary characters.

June 16, 2009 at 7:09 pm
(21) Amber says:

Please dont take days off the air. I have watched this show since ive been born and I dont miss a day of it if I dont watch it at 1 then I watch it at 11 on soapnet PLEASE DONT TAKE IT OFF THE AIR I dont know what I will do without it.

June 16, 2009 at 7:12 pm
(22) Amber says:

PLEASE DONT TAKE IT OFF THE AIR I dont know what I would do if u take it off.

June 21, 2009 at 2:03 pm
(23) Shirley Reynolds says:

I am very glad that DOOL is staying on. I have watched from the very first show. My daughter grew up with DOOL and she watches also and we both are big fans. Days is a big part of my day and I love to get mad, cry and fall in love with the characters as well as setting on the edge of my seat not knowing what is going to happen next. DOOL is the best soap opera on TV.

August 2, 2009 at 8:31 pm
(24) Megan says:

I would loose my mind if they took days off ive been watching it with my mom since i was a little girl and always hoped that one day i could watch it with my daughter..

September 14, 2009 at 1:13 pm
(25) SANDY says:

IVE BEEN WATCHING DAY SENCE IT FIRST STARTED I REMIMBER GOING TO MY GRANDMOTHERS HOUSE AND SHE WOULD WAT6CH IT…AS I GOT OLDER HAVE SO MANY HAPPY MEMORIES OF DAYS LEAVE DAYS ALONE AND KEEP FILMING MAYBE NEW SCREAN WRITERS…WHY GET RID OF THE CAST GET SOME INTRESTING WRITERS IN THERE AND GET THE BABY THING OVER AND DONE WITH FOR ONCE AND FOR ALL