1. Entertainment

Will Horton Recast: Dylan Patton Out, Chandler Massey In

By December 8, 2009

Soap Opera Digest is reporting that the role of Will Horton is being recast. Dylan Patton, who has portrayed Will since February of this year, has been let go and is being replaced by Chandler Massey. An insider tells Digest that "They needed to make a change with the story coming up."

Dylan Patton is the fifth actor to play Will Horton, Lucas and Sami's son. Will went by the surname of Roberts until Lucas changed his last name to Horton in order to distance himself from his meddling mother Kate. Will was born in 1995, and aged to a 16-year-old earlier this year when he returned home from Switzerland.

Chandler Massey has guest-starred on Army Wives and One Tree Hill. No official word as to when his first airdate as Will Horton will be.

I'm sad to see Dylan Patton go as Will, but I trust that The Powers That Be made this recast decision for the right reasons. I did have the pleasure of meeting Dylan at the 'Day of Days' fan event in November, and he was a very nice young man. Best of luck to Dylan in his future endeavors.

Pictured: Dylan Patton as Will Horton

Mitchell Haaseth / Copyright 2009 NBC Universal

Comments

December 8, 2009 at 11:45 am
(1) mark says:

Thanks for the news. I think I am like you as well. I will be sad to see this Will go as well. I liked him. I can’t believe they have already had 5 people to play Will so far. How many Mike Horton’s did Days have ? Will’s character is starting to look like Mike’s. I miss Mike Horton.

December 8, 2009 at 11:23 pm
(2) bethany says:

i am gald for the change i never liked dylan’s acting skills

December 9, 2009 at 3:08 pm
(3) Liz says:

Everyone has been criticizing Dylan’s acting skills but I thought he was a decent actor. I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

One more thing,Dylan is a way better actor than Ben Affleck who gets 20 million a picture and can’t act for crap.

December 10, 2009 at 10:46 am
(4) mark says:

I said I liked the guy that played Will. I wasn’t criticizing ! However, I can’t wait for Nicole to go off on leave from the show. I am getting tired of her. I wish she wasn’t coming back at all. What will she do when she does come back in the spring ?

December 10, 2009 at 11:59 pm
(5) jerry says:

i’m reading rumors on other sites that the reason they have switched actors is the that will is going to come out of the closet, gasp! should make the homophobes that watch days irrate, ‘cuz you know, the show is all about wholesome family values, haha.

December 11, 2009 at 9:42 am
(6) Chris says:

I think he was a wonderful Will and I’m not happy about his leaving.. I think he played a decent but had a silent attitude about his past. I thought he was great in the role.

bring in a new character.

December 12, 2009 at 8:50 pm
(7) jae says:

“If they decide to make the new Will gay, I think that is a big mistake. If you want to do that type of storyline,
bring in a new character.”
Is this where the writer’s, and the use the term loosely, are taking the story line?

December 12, 2009 at 10:52 pm
(8) C. C. says:

OK… we’re stuck with the new Arianna who I can’t stand watching her facial expressions. And those big buggy eyes. And now they are changing Will?? I think his acting is good…. he is playing a young, awkward high school kid…. he works for me. But yet they keep Kate on…. and now that Vivian lady who I can’t stand. Grrr.

December 12, 2009 at 10:54 pm
(9) C. C. says:

Does anyone else think Ciara is just a little doll? She has more and more speaking parts and I think she is adorable!

December 12, 2009 at 11:31 pm
(10) Janine Smith says:

I CANNOT believe they are letting Dylan go (Will) ..Are you kidding me? I am no talent scout but I don’t have to be to know that young man is headed for stardom. He is an incredible actor. He took over Will’s character without missing a heart beat. Dylan will now have a new door open to him and maybe that is a good thing since Days do not seem to appreciate what talent he has… now maybe, he will head to the big screen where he really belongs. He is going to be a super star someday…just watch. I am sooooo sad to see him go.

And if they DO make Will gay then they are all nuts. I am in agreement with everyone else…make it someone else..such as the friend of will’s that always knocks fists with him…he could do it.

Cierra is cute but time to age that young lady.

Please hire Dylan back,

December 13, 2009 at 6:27 am
(11) daysofourlives says:

Hi Everyone,

I haven’t heard anything about the writers making the new Will gay. I believe it’s all just speculation and rumors at this point on some message boards out there. Personally, I really don’t like to publish rumors like this because it just gets my readers all stirred up over what could possibly be nothing. I don’t like to publish future storyline info unless it’s factual. Hope that explains it. I’m very sorry to see Dylan go.

December 13, 2009 at 10:01 am
(12) MellySue says:

I am so sadly disappointed to see Will go. He’s really a good actor on Days. I saw him at DOOL Fan event and wanted to meet him/get his autograph but wasn’t able to because of a long line. I do hope Dylan will come back to Days again in the future. I will sorely miss him on Days. (By the way, it is NOT very nice to say bad things about him nor his acting skills.)

December 13, 2009 at 11:37 am
(13) Chris says:

I have to say it again.
BIG MISTAKE to get rid of Dylan.
He acts exactly like a kid with the kind of life on TV that he has had. He is a perfect fit for the son of Lucas and Sami. KEEP Dylan

December 18, 2009 at 1:23 am
(14) Ann says:

Just when you get used to someone. I wish this show would stop changing actors/actresses and I wish they would keep the ages right and stop aging people before their time. Will should be 14 if you are saying he was born in 1995. How old was Sami when she had him? Does anyone remember?

December 19, 2009 at 12:23 pm
(15) Mimi says:

Dylan is the most believable character on Days. He’s laid back and acts like a real 16 year old. I’m sure they want someone older looking and not such an upstanding moral character. I’ll miss Dylan.

December 19, 2009 at 12:27 pm
(16) Mimi says:

Ann,
I remember Sami was really young (like 15) when she had Will.

December 22, 2009 at 10:39 pm
(17) GrammaB says:

I have watched Days since it came on. Missed a lot of it when I had to go to work. Personally, if Days is going Gay, I would prefer they use some other actor other than the Will they currently have. He’s the kind of kid you’d like your daughter or granddaughter to date. I wish him all the best.

December 27, 2009 at 3:08 pm
(18) Laura says:

I WON’T ever watch D.O.O.L. again if Dylan Patton isn’t on there! I will REFUSE to watch it!

December 30, 2009 at 6:13 am
(19) robmusicman says:

Dylan Patton is destined for stardom, I doubt seriously that he would even want to play a gay role, we have enough in real life to deal with every day for more postive role models are always needed on tv.

January 3, 2010 at 5:14 am
(20) Ruby says:

I hate days for recasting the keyrole of will horton. Dylan played the role pretty well, but i guess they didn’t appreciate it. I won’t be watching the show anymore after dylan’s last air date in January 2010. He has a bright future ahead of him, 2010 is going to be his year. I can’t wait for him to appear in other tv shows/ movies. Love you Dylan Patton and to us fans you are the best and will always be.

January 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm
(21) fanofDMP says:

I thought he did a great job, and should be proud.

Any fans here can keep with with Dylan on my fan site.

January 16, 2010 at 10:33 pm
(22) Jenny says:

I am sorry to see Dylan go bu what really upsets me is bringing Bo and Carly back together. I don’t like Carly. Bo and Hope1 Bo and Hope!

January 26, 2010 at 12:15 pm
(23) L. H. says:

Ok, It’s finally time to stop watching DAYS for me!!! Just keep letting me down will ya!! I am so upset about Bryan and Dylan being let go!!!!! Before that I just kept going with the changes, but I am done now!!! Don’t want to keep wondering who’s going next. Sad, I have watched diligently since 1968.

January 31, 2010 at 11:35 am
(24) Sue says:

I think the writers of Days need to get a life I have been watching Days since day one and loved it until the writers started taking drugs. I know they don’t but you would think the way they keep changing things they don’t know how to think straight.

February 3, 2010 at 3:31 am
(25) Brittany says:

I also met him in November and found him to be a very nice kid. I didn’t like the one before him and although it took him a bit to warm up to the role, I ended up liking him as Will. I will be sad to see him go. Hopefully he will move on to bigger and better things after this

February 12, 2010 at 12:32 am
(26) Regina says:

I hate when i get use to a person and then the writers recast…I HATE THAT!i tape it everyday and i fastforward the parts of bo and carly they are so boring and nasty together.Bo and Hope look good together and does any of these people ever stay married?

February 12, 2010 at 12:42 pm
(27) LMKay says:

I just saw the new Will yesterday. I hadn’t heard they were recasting the role. Don’t know a thing about him. Anyone know how old he is? Is it true they are going to make the character of Will gay? And is it true that Bryan Datillo is definitely leaving the show? If so, when? I wish Days would get rid of annoying characters like Nicole and Melanie. Can’t stand them anymore. But yet they get rid of real talent like Bryan who as been on the show forever. Such a shame.

February 13, 2010 at 6:21 pm
(28) Chris says:

Bring back Dylan before it is too late!!!!!!!!!!!
The new guy has only been on twice.
If DOOL wants to begin a “gay” storyline, which I have heard, bring in a new kid. This new guy’s personality is
nothing like the child of Sami and Lucas. Dylan had that
moapy but nice kid. Right kid in right role. Now wrong kid
in wrong role. Please,,
DOOL do something right for a change.

February 13, 2010 at 6:24 pm
(29) Chris says:

Now I hear that they are going to really do a “show”
on the real death of Frances Reid????
This is an awful idea. Let it be know she has really died
but do not do a STORYLINE around it!!!!!
Very distasteful

February 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm
(30) LMKay says:

Chris, I agree Dylan was the perfect casting choice for the son of Sami and Lucas. He even had that scowl Lucas always seems to have. This new kid is too happy and smiling all the time. However I disagree that a storyline for the death of Frances Reid is innapropriate. She’s an iconic figure who had been with the show since day one. They did the same sort of tribute to MacDonald Carey when he passed away. I think it’s appropriate.

February 17, 2010 at 9:23 am
(31) marilyn says:

I certainly will miss Dylan, he was one of the stars that made me watch Days again. I am starting to think about quitting agin since they seem to want to bring carlie back get rid of Lucus and Sami story line and try to mess up Bo and Hope again. Their writters really have to change theri ways.

February 17, 2010 at 12:46 pm
(32) kristin says:

I liked Dylan as Will too! Thought he was the best of the teens.
I thought Sami was like 18 when she had Will?
Wish they would get rid of Kinzie & TJ!!!! What a waste!

February 17, 2010 at 5:01 pm
(33) Linda says:

I don’t like the new Will at all, the old Wil and Mia were a perfect match
Linda

February 17, 2010 at 5:10 pm
(34) Linda Nolan says:

I can’t believe they recast Wil, the new one is so boring, and does not and does not fit the part
Linda Nolan

February 17, 2010 at 6:19 pm
(35) Linda Nolan says:

I started watching Days again when Wil first met Mia, I really loved watching them together and got me interested in Days again, they made a cute couple together, when I saw the new Wil I thought, it was only for a short time, but now that I know he Dylan won’t be back I don’t think I will be watching the show again that new Will is so boring to watch he does not look right for Mia it was a perfect match with Dylan as Will, I don’t know what is going on with Days, but with they are doing is very upsetting to me, first getting Rid of recasting Wil, now making it look like Sammy;s baby is dead, by finding her bloody clothes in the river,I don’t like what they doing to the show
Linda

February 21, 2010 at 12:15 am
(36) linda vogel says:

I disagree i think out of the many years of enjoyment francis reid bought to us as alice horton to many mother..grandmother..sister and closest friend they should
do a long memorial for her she was family to us all…everybody
from long ago should come back to salem to honor her. it will
show much love and respect to the lovely and loyal lady who
deserves much respect and love in return…certain to say the
funeral/memorial for alice horton will bring more viewers than
dool has seen in many years!!! alice horton was the glue that
held dool together for so many years…may she rest in peace
i say to dool writers lets give back as much love to honor ms
horton as she gave to all of us she was family

February 23, 2010 at 7:42 pm
(37) Oopseybear says:

Hasn’t Mia been through ENOUGH!?!? lol. I hope they don’t make Will gay. Who will his lover be?! CHAD?!?! Ohhh… that might be hot. But the new Will, I’m not overly fond of… but whatever. Can’t do much about it.

When we will think of MIA!?!?! Poor thing. :-p

February 26, 2010 at 5:34 pm
(38) Diesel says:

I think the recast of Will was a horrible idea. Dylan Patton played a good part and he fit the role very good. He resembled Lucas. The new Will sounds immature and his voice crackels he sounds like he is going through puberty. I can’t help but laugh everytime he is in a scene and opens that twelve year old mouth. Haha

February 27, 2010 at 11:38 am
(39) Linda Nolan says:

I can’t stand the new Will, he’s ugly and does not fit the part, the old Will was perfect and they should bring him back, I see the old Will Dylan is up for and Emmy, please bring Dylan back, he was so good and better looking
Linda

March 1, 2010 at 4:43 pm
(40) grendellyn says:

Poor Will!!! His only problem is having to do scenes with Mia. I think she is the worst actress ever! Sorry Mia.

March 2, 2010 at 12:29 am
(41) Sean says:

I’am going to miss Dylan playing Will I love him hes awesome I don’t like this new Will not one bit.

March 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm
(42) Tyler says:

this new Will sucks, he looks nothing like Will, and acts way different from the old Will. They need to put the old Will back

March 4, 2010 at 9:44 pm
(43) Nicole says:

Dylan Patton is a great actor and played the role as Will Horton perfectly. I am sorry to see him go. He was so cute too.

March 6, 2010 at 11:56 pm
(44) Music says:

As stated in a previous comment, do not make Will gay, there is enough of these sickos in real life, reunite Bo and Hope, they are inseperable after all these years with family and do cut Mia, she is one boring character to watch.

March 9, 2010 at 9:57 pm
(45) Kenny North says:

Well Dylan and the girl who plays Mia (I don’t know her name) are supposedly good friends in real life, maybe they wanted to do a romantic storyline and the two actors didn’t feel comfortable doing it, that could be the new storyline ppl are talking about? It doesn’t have to be that Will is turning gay.

March 16, 2010 at 4:20 pm
(46) L.H. says:

WOW! I am so glad to know i’ve been thinking the same as all you!! New Will is the worst!!!! I wish I knew what was really going on at the DAYS studio. Re casting Dylan for Chandler was wierd. But ya know, now Dylan can move on to a real job. Will doesn’t get enough screen time anyway. I haven’t watched a full episode for the past 3 weeks – just fast forward mostly. Tired of the whole Melanie in the hospital bed getting visitors, blah blah blah!!! Days better pick it up or they will be the next canceled. If anyone hears updates on what Dylan is doing these days. would love to know!!! Thanks

April 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(47) donna says:

I liked Dylan as Will also. He was the best one u casted .