1. Entertainment

Alison Sweeney Speaks Out on Bryan Dattilo's Exit

By December 24, 2009

Days of Our Lives star Alison Sweeney (Sami) opened up to Soap Opera Digest about the recent departure of her co-star and friend Bryan Dattilo (Lucas). She has made it known that she's very upset about the decision, and apparently didn't even know they shot their last scenes together. Not only did she post on Twitter that she was "seriously devastated," but she told Digest the following:

"I am so upset, not just for me, and the cast, crew and DAYS fans who will miss him tremendously, but for Sami, too. I have no idea how they'll explain his absence, but it will, without question, be a major void in Sami's life."

Kudos for Alison for speaking out on the sad news of Bryan Dattilo being let go. My heart also goes out to all the Lucas and Sami fans, or "Lumi" fans out there who still had hope for their couple to eventually reunite. May the memories of Lumi live on in our hearts, and of course good luck to Bryan in his future projects.

Pictured: Alison Sweeney as Sami Brady

Trae Patton / Copyright 2009 NBC Universal

Comments

December 25, 2009 at 12:27 am
(1) jerry says:

Although Lucas has never been a favorite of mine, it’s sad to see the powers that be at Days continue to treat long-time actors like Bryan (and Mary Beth Evans & Stephen Nichols before him) with such little respect. As a viewer it’s sad to see a character simply disappear with no closure.

Just today… apparently Alice and Mickey were hiding in the kitchen all day at Bo & Hope’s house. And are we supposed to believe John & Marlena wouldn’t come home for the holidays let alone aid in the search for their granddaughter?

It’s insulting to the viewers and sad to know the producers care as much for their actors as they do to the continuity of the show. The only reason I still tune in is to see talented actors like Louise Sorel, Joseph Mascolo & John Aniston do their thing. Days is a sad shadow of what it used to be in it’s heyday.

December 25, 2009 at 12:58 am
(2) GEORGEANN HUBBARD says:

I CANT BELEAVE THEY TOOK DATTILO OFF OMG.THEY NEED TO GET EVERY ONE BACK.LIKE THE ONE LADY SAID, SHE HAS BEEN WATCHING THIS SHOW FOE EVER. I AM 58 I WOULD COME HOME FROM SCHOOL AND CALL MY GRAND MOTHER TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPEN.WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO US?THEY NEED TO PUT THE PEOPLE BACK THAT THEY JUST LET GO . MAY BE SAY SOMETHING LIKE SOME ONE WAS DREAMING ABOUT WHAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING AND BRING THEM BACK MY DAUGHTER WATCHES ALSO PLEASE BRING THEM BACK. IT WAS ALL A DREAM!

December 25, 2009 at 1:02 am
(3) GG says:

MAKE THIS ALL A DREAM BRING ALL THE PEOPLE BACK YOU LET GO WE NEED THEM BACK PLEASE!

December 25, 2009 at 11:46 pm
(4) mark says:

This is crazy. Maybe Stefano has kidnapped all of them again and there all back in New Salem on that stupid island. lol.

December 26, 2009 at 12:40 am
(5) lori Jackson-Michigan says:

This is just so sad! He was told a few days before Christmas! OMG! Where is the heart Day’s use to have?
They could let go some of these new actors and bring back the old and keep the old too! The Mel & Nathan actors are not one of my favs and neither is Steph now either. Bo & Hope living seperate lives (ONCE AGAIN!) I’d say bring back all the orginals and keep Rafe and oh joy, joy hunka, hunka EJ and dismiss all the other newbe’s. I use to not be able to stand miss watching Day everyweek day. I VCRed it and then DVRed it but now I am thinking why bother? The only reason I am watching it now is to see what Vivian is up to, (GLAD SHE IS BACK) haha & to see what is going to happen with Sydney. EJ & Sami are two of the best actors Days has right now. Keep getting rid of the good actors Days and you’ll be loosing the GREAT fans you once had!
Been a fan since 1980 but starting to doubt Day’s will be on the air much longer with the way they are going.
P.S.
Miss and love ya Gran Horton.
Merry Christmas to all!!

December 26, 2009 at 5:42 pm
(6) erin says:

They fired Bryan Dattilo?????????? What’s next????? Now, I’m ticked off big time.

December 26, 2009 at 5:50 pm
(7) Annie says:

This is first I’m hearing about it and I am as outraged as they rest of you. Yes, I’m glad Vivian is back. But, get rid of all the new ‘kids on the block’ and bring back Marlena, John, Steve, Kayla and whoever else they have hiding in the kitchen!! They are ruining the show for the long time devoted watchers.

December 26, 2009 at 6:37 pm
(8) Charlotte says:

What are you thinking? You need to bring back the good actors that keep the show going Get rid of all the young ones I will not be watchging this soap much longer

December 26, 2009 at 6:45 pm
(9) cnaward says:

I have been watching days since day one. However, the advertisers think I’m not worth worrying about. Days has done things in the past that have made me want to quit watching, but if they continue with breaking up Bo and Hope, that will be it for me. They have managed to break up everyone that should be together and I’ve said, if they leave Bo and Hope alone, I’ll stick by, but now I don’t know. I believe they want to get every fan mad. That way they can cancel the show and give a reason as the shows decline in fans. I will miss having my hour of break time, but I will find something else to watch.

December 26, 2009 at 7:23 pm
(10) CINDY says:

What is happening to Days why can’t we have our older actors back to grow old with us. My goodness I have been watching Days forever they feel like family we need to laugh some in these times. Why can’t we have Bo & Hope Steve & Kayla back to be the couples to carry on the Days history. Make them happy/loving active couples that go on adventures togather. We need happiness here sure there is room for the others(story line) to have saddness, Days is big enough to have the young & older actors.
What is this stuff Bo & Carly making love my god why do we always have to have somebody breaking their wedding vows. Lets have fun…

December 26, 2009 at 8:17 pm
(11) janiebell says:

BRYAN Dattilo {Lucas} We miss you already and I just heard of your dismissal .

Alright already stop taking off all of our favorites on Days. Lucas came back from rehab and apoliged to Mia. Has anyone seen him sence that. Lucas was brought back just to be let go? HOW VERY STUPID AND DUMB! First John&Marlena then Steve/Patch&Kayla and now Lucas. If people must leave daysof our lives, send Carly, Vivian, Daniel, Phillip, Melanie Mia, Chad,Nathan, Victor&Kate and E.J. to wherever, just leave our regular people that have been on days for a long time alone. If days keep axing the favs might as well for days of our lives to sail off into the sunset. For pretty soon there will be none of the people that made days our favorite daytime show left on days. What then?

December 26, 2009 at 9:15 pm
(12) mary says:

I think its sad to let him go.. It shows very little good judgement or respect on the part of writers/managers to let a longtime actor of such good talent go…I think if is given a larger role, he would rise to the occasion… A great loss to DAYS and the fans who watch this soap opera

December 26, 2009 at 10:25 pm
(13) Vanessa says:

Come on Days! Lucas is a major character! He needed a better storyline. They should of had him end up with Arianna and let that be the salt in EJ’s wound because he has been awfully chummy with Arianna lately.

December 27, 2009 at 1:34 am
(14) tinwell10 says:

I cannot believe DAYS….it is not worth watching anymore as we see all the great actors being let go. Who next? I thought for awhile there that they were realizing the importance of the key people and would begin getting them back. Instead they just get rid of another link in the history of this show….. Very sad.

December 27, 2009 at 2:29 am
(15) dee says:

what is wrong with u days..your lucky the show is still on.to take lucas off and leave those boring kids on the show…I like lucas so much please bring him back..you made days better in this passt year that is y the soap is still on…but what you r doing now is making days go off the air.the ones from passions that are on the show are doing good, but passions was taken off,,,so please bring back the good people, one of the guys that everyone wants back is coming on my other soap y@r..if u still do what you r doing takng off the great people days will be taken off…lucas is so great,i hope he comes on my other soap,,,,

December 27, 2009 at 8:08 am
(16) Anne Clesas says:

I am totally disgusted with Days and I am ready to tune out. I have been watching for 38 years and have seen cast members come and go, but to bring back steve and kayla only to fire them and then marlena and john…now Bryan (Lucas)..are you guys kidding me??? Bo and Hope separating again is just pushing me right over the proverbial edge…..their characters are portrayed as soul mates and so strong and then to have bo just take off and sleep with carly????? No freaking way. And I agree the new kids are cute and all but TOOOOO MUCH…Bring back the mature story lines and yeah where are alice and mickey..Kevin dobson was playing mickey..what happened did he want too much money so you can him???? HE IS GREAT….and alice I know is elderly now and probably not well…then SAY that…she is not up to it and is in a nusring home or hospital whatever but don’t just IGNORE HER Absence..I know you think kids are tuning in so you cater to them..well their are people like me who have been watching for years…who are going to tune out..where is your loyalty to LONG TIME FANS and LONG TIME ACtors..>oh i know ..DAYS HAS NO LOYALty…WAKE UP PEOPLE AT DAYS!!!

December 27, 2009 at 9:52 am
(17) Candy says:

If anyone knows what shows our beloved Marlena, John, Kayla, Patch, and all the other good ones they have let go, have gone to-please let me know. I agree, get rid of the kids, sick of them. I’ve been watching since the 60′s. Calliope would be a good one to have back. I’ll watch long enough to see what Viv is up to, then I’m done. Don’t they realize the people they are trying to cater to, (the younger crowd) are mostly inschool, college, or are working when the show is on. They have ruined the show with young people that aren’t that good of actors!

December 27, 2009 at 1:25 pm
(18) Gail says:

I have been watching DAYS since I was a kid, too. My grandmother, mom, and sisters would all discuss the DAYS events. I has always felt like family – until the last few years. Lucas has been a staple of the show for so long. My daughter has grown up with him and Sami. All the people we loved have been cast aside and been replaced by all these kids. Bring back all the “GOOD” actors like John and Marlena, Steve and Kayla. Stop hiding Gramma Alice and Mickey in the kitchen. Do the powers that be really think we are that dumb? Well, it’s sad, but I don’t think that DAYS will be on that much longer. I guess I’ll just have to find something else to watch.
Sorry to see DAYS go downhill. I guess that’s just the circle of life; you live, you love, you die.
Farewell, old friend.

December 27, 2009 at 3:05 pm
(19) vanillia63 says:

What is goin on with the directors & writers & producers,Don’t they care about anyone except their own wallets?? They need to start bringing back the orginals then they will get better rating. Miss all the orginal cast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 27, 2009 at 6:17 pm
(20) Bootsie says:

Didn’t Philip lose a leg??? It’s never mentioned – did it miraculously grow back???

December 27, 2009 at 7:08 pm
(21) Sue Baldwin says:

Wow I just heard Lucas was being let go, why do you do such stupid things. I have been watching this show since I was a child. You are taking off all the best actors. You keep doing this and your show is definately going off the air. Doesn’t Days writers listen to the people that watch the show? Come on wake up and smell the roses. John, Marlena, Kayla, Steve, now Lucas, where are you guys, we want you back.

December 27, 2009 at 7:46 pm
(22) CAROLE says:

PLEASE, PLEASE BRING “DAY”S” BACK. YOU HAVE HAD A GOOD START RAISING THE RATINGS! BUT WE WHO HAVE WATCHED SINCE DAY ONE, MISS THE ‘INTRIGAL” CHARACTERS WHO “FORMED” AND DEVELOPED THIS LONG RUNNING SHOW. I HAVE WATCHED SINCE THE VERY FIRST SHOW! WE NEED DOUG, JULIE, PATCH, KAYLA, MICKEY AND OF COURSE, BRYAN DITELLO! WE ALSO NEED TO HAVE THE FACT THAT ALICE IS ILL ADDRESSED—DO NOT LEAVE HER IN THE KITCHEN WITH MICKEY.

December 27, 2009 at 8:14 pm
(23) SYBIL says:

SAY IT AIN’T SO HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU LET SUCH A POPULAR ACTOR LEAVE THE SHOW BRYAN MAKES THE ANNUAL CELEBRITY SOFTBALL NOW CALLED DAYS INTO NIGHTS ROCK WHAT IN THE WORLD WILL WE DO WITHOUT HIM COME ON DON’T SHOOT YOUR SELVES IN THE FOOT DOING STUPID THINGS JUST AS RATINGS WERE PICKING BACK UP WE COULD STAND SAMI AND LUCAS LAPART WITH THE HOPE THAT THEY WOULD COME BACK TOGETHER NOW WITHOUT HIM THERE IS NO HOPE FANS ARE WHAT KEEPS YOU ON THE AIR ARE YOU TIRED OF KEEPING THE SHOW ON THE AIR SEEMS LIKE IT TO ME COME ON GET BRYAN BACK

December 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm
(24) Lori says:

I remember watching Days with my mom I was born in 63 but I remember Doug Julie Susan Addie all the old timers Alex Marshall Heck I even remember David Banning the dad
so many oldies I could go on naming them….. I am so upset This is probably why the network wants to cancel …angry fans come on now please enough is enough bring em back alive ,Now not when its to late ……..we will trade Kate for all the oldies…….LOL

December 28, 2009 at 12:13 am
(25) Barbara says:

Well, this is the first that I am learning about Lucas’ firing. What a shame. I, too , am a fan for some 35 or so years. I am bored to tears with all the new kids. I surmise their salaries are less than a well established actor. But, that’s why Days never even gets mentioned at the Soap Opera / Daytime Award show. Days only gets awards at –the PEOPLE”S Award show. And, now, with most of our beloved cast members fired… Days can forget about this award too! I am so thoroughlly disgusted, at this moment. The storylines are boring, and repetitive. These young writers don’t even know Days history. The tree ornament show was BORING! It was nothing like other years. I am sorry to say, that I really won’t miss Days when they cancel it. And I am sure that will be soon. After all, if CBS is cancelling As The World Turns.. and this show is TERRIFIC– how in the world can Days of Our Lives stay on the air?

December 28, 2009 at 12:40 am
(26) Michele - Boise, ID says:

Even though I’ve never been a huge fan of Lucas, he’s great for keeping Sami balanced. I don’t mind having new characters (LOVE EJ, Rafe), but the tried & true are what keep us coming back. I’m sick of Hope’s “woe-is-me” attitude, yet she won’t ever communicate w/ Bo. I know she’s a fan favorite, just not this fan! Over the years (& it’s been MANY!) I’ve been watching, there have been times I’ve said I would not keep on watching, but I’ve always kept on because of the great people. Sad to say, I’ve started switching over to “All My Children” & even “One Life to Live” for the story lines w/ long-standing cast members. If “Days” goes off the air, I’ll be sad, but I’ve already been filling the void…

December 28, 2009 at 3:43 am
(27) Chrissie says:

DOOL has already made this another Passions Soap by bringing on Passions actors. I watched Passions a few times and couldn’t stand the Soap and quit watching after the first year it was on. I knew that DOOL would go belly up since they started letting go of DOOL actors and put on Passions actors instead. Now with letting go of one of the best actors on DOOL Bryan Dittolo’s firing is just one more nail in the Coffin for DOOL’s exit from NBC. Now’s there’s only one actor worth watching on DOOL which is Allison Sweeney. I know your probably all saying what about Bo and Hope true I like to watch them to but there storyline sucks. DOOL should just shut down and leave NBC if this is what they think is right to do to us long time FANS for which I’ve been watching since the late 60′s. So, what if Sydney never gets rescued from Anna Dimera the show sucks. I won’t be watching it anymore. Sorry, Allison if your reading this but the writers and your production staff has totally made a big mistake with letting go of one of the best actors on daytime. STUPIDOS!!!!!!!!!! Bye for now.

December 28, 2009 at 7:34 am
(28) Ricooooo says:

Without a storyline, why bother to keep Lucas? In my opinion he had become extremely WIMPY in the past several years: (“Oh Chloe, you’re so beautiful. How did I ever deserve someone as PERFECT as you?”)

Please. What a wimpy character. With all his challenges (family issues, alcoholism, etc…) there is plenty of room for storylines for him. For whatever reason the writers chose to not take advantage of the potential.

Nothing personal against Datilo, but if Lucas was going to continue to be the wimpy character he had become, then good riddance. It’s too bad, because like I said- lot’s of potential there.

Best of luck Bryan. If history is any indication, you’ll be back.

December 28, 2009 at 8:00 am
(29) Ricooooo says:

Be honest people- none of you are going to stop watching Days. Characters come and characters go. And often, they come again. And go again. etc…

Also, Bo and Hope will reunite. You know that, so enjoy the “drama” in the meantime.

Re: Kevin Dobson playing Mickey: Did anyone else notice that recent views of photos in Maggie’s house showed the original Mickey (John Clarke)?

I agree that stashing Mickey and Alice in the kitchen was lame. Yes, we all “expected” Alice to be at the traditional ornament-hanging but in real life as well as on the show we also know she is getting older. Maybe the writers should write her off gracefully and reunite her with Tom while she can enjoy the storyline, rather than waiting until “after the fact”.

On a related note I hear that Mickey will “die” of natural causes and that Maggie will fall off of the wagon as a result. There would be a story line for Lucas- helping Maggie. But I guess not…

December 28, 2009 at 9:49 pm
(30) Karmen says:

I hate to see Lucas go too. He was Sami’s main love interest for many years. Alison is a sweetheart to speak up about it I think!
But I have to admit I do prefer her character to be with Rafe. I just wish the show could have had a character come in for Lucas too. I hate to see the original people go too. I’m not a fan of the teens either – they are so boring and not believable at all. Mia is a cutie but she does not show emotion very well I think.

December 29, 2009 at 1:50 pm
(31) Sharon says:

WELL, WHAT’S NEXT……..ALL THE GOOD ONES GO, BUT STILL KEEP KATE, STEFANO, VIV AND LATELY I CAN’T STAND EJ. HE WILL TURN ON SAMI AS SOON AS THEY FIND THEIR BABY. BRYAN WAS A MISTAKE TO LET GO. WHEN WILL DAYS LEARN THE LONG TIME FANS LIKE THEIR FAVORITES ON THE SHOW…..JOHN, MARLENA, ETC…….MAYBE THEY SHOULD GET RID OF SOME OF THE WRITERS

December 31, 2009 at 11:37 am
(32) Annie says:

You have got to be kidding! This is no longer the Days of Our Lives people fell in love with. It’s another teenie bopper show that belongs on the CW! Datillo was a really good actor but they insisted on putting him as the third wheel all the time. They never took advantage of his real life acting! I bet some other soap would love to have his fans come over to their show and maybe they will know how to give a good actor a good storyline. I like Y and R – how ’bout it guys???

December 31, 2009 at 9:19 pm
(33) MeeMee in Missiouri says:

With the dismissal of all the fan loved stars are the producers of Days cutting costs in an effort to continue the production of the show? Surely they are not deliberately driving away the core of fans they have developed over the years. What do you think?

January 1, 2010 at 12:42 am
(34) barb pellervo says:

i am so sorry to hear this i thought he was awsome he is such a good father on the show & a good friend to everyone he will be greatly missed

January 1, 2010 at 4:33 am
(35) AmyM says:

The Christmas Eve episodes used to be so wonderful. Now they are a joke. What was with saying that Alice and Mickey were in the driveway? I know that Francis Reid is now in a nursing home, but they could mention her in a different way. They also keep showing the orignal actor who played Mickey Horton. I think they are trying to bring Days to an end and will bring him back for the final episodes. The show needs to bring the core characters back. I am so bored with the young actor storylines. Melanie is dating one guy one minute then engaged and getting married the next. And the whole Carly /Mia storyline, give me a break! We know it will probably be Bo’s baby, sigh. Ugh!! And let Sami have her baby already. Enough!!!

January 1, 2010 at 6:41 pm
(36) Ivan says:

You know they wouldn’t let Deidra Hall take a pay cut. Deidra Hall offered if you don’t believe me go check out the interview she did about it. http://tvguide.ca/Soaps/Features/Articles/091215_deidre_hall_NB.htm

Boycott it, maybe you can get BD back if you people make a stand.

January 7, 2010 at 1:35 pm
(37) Debbie says:

They need to bring back John Marlen Shaun and the other good actors and get rid of Kate Stepfano Vivian and Carly the bad actors.

January 17, 2010 at 1:00 am
(38) John says:

Lucas (Bryan) was seen again on DOL after the death of Mickey who had not been seen on DOL since 2008 when he was last played by Kevin Dobson. Hopefully, Bryan as Lucas will continue to make appearances on DOL.