1. Entertainment

Matthew Ashford Returns to DAYS!

Matthew Ashford It's the joyous news many fans have been waiting for! Matthew Ashford is returning to Days of Our Lives as Jack Deveraux this summer.  The news was posted on his official Facebook page:

"I wish to make an announcement. I am happy to report that I will be returning to NBC's Days of our Lives as the character of Jack Devereaux sometime later this month.  I do not know any real specifics but look forward to this opportunity to play Jack and work with old and new friends."

Soap Opera Digest has also confirmed the news as well and has stated that he is returning for a big story.

Longtime DAYS fans recall that Matthew Ashford emerged onto the scene back in 1987 as the third actor to play Jack Deveraux.  His character was eventually paired with Jennifer, and the couple became one of the most popular in the history of DAYS.  Many fans were upset when the show decided to let him go in 1993, and Jack left Jennifer because of his feelings of guilt over Abby's aplastic anemia.  Jack was recast the following year with Mark Valley, then Steven Wilder took over the role in 1997.  However, fans made it known that Matthew Ashford was the only one meant to play Jack.

Matthew Ashford resumed the role in 2001, and fans were dealt a harsh blow when Jack was killed by the Salem Stalker in 2003. It turned out that Jack, along with other Salem residents, were indeed alive and well on Melaswen, an island replica of Salem. Jack and Jennifer were reunited, but Jack was presumed dead again when they got separated and he was being held prisoner in the DiMera castle.

Jack eventually escaped and made it back home to Salem, reuniting with Jennifer again.  However, it wasn't long until he discovered that he had an illness and didn't have much time to live.  He faked his death and pushed Frankie and Jennifer together, wanting her to be taken care of after he was gone.  He found his long-lost brother, Steve, and the two returned to Salem together just in time for Jennifer and Frankie's wedding.  Frankie found a cure for Jack's illness and Jack and Jennifer were reunited again.  The couple left for London together in September 2006.  Ashford made a brief appearance in April 2007 when Abby was in New York City.

Many fans were delighted when Melissa Reeves returned to the show last year as Jennifer, but Jack was apparently on a walkabout, and he didn't even contact Jennifer when she was recently on the brink of death. How will Jack's return affect the growing relationship between Daniel and Jennifer?  Hopefully we all get a good explanation of exactly what Jack has been doing and why he hasn't contacted Jennifer.  Regardless, it will be must-see DAYS with Jack Deveraux back on our screens!  More details will be posted about his return as they become available.

Pictured: Matthew Ashford (Jack Deveraux)

Frederick M. Brown / 2006 Getty Images

Comments

May 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm
(1) days1985 says:

Thank you God. Jack and Jennifer are better together and Jennifer with Daniel is not the way to go. I hope Jack comes back stronger and not acting like a fool. Days needs to return to strong core families and we have enough of the evil families. It’s time to replenish some of the wonderful loving relationships that have been lost. Balance has been missing. With Bo and Hope reunited, Justin and Adrienne, and now Jack’s return maybe we can see more than the ej show. Let me include Sami and Rafe in that number. Sami needs to keep her edge but she is so balanced by Rafe and they are incredible together. Ej will never be redeemed so pair him with his evil mate and move on from the past.

May 22, 2011 at 11:33 am
(2) PAULA says:

OMGGGGG, I’m so happy we’ll have Matt Ashford back on Days. Jack is my favorite character with his witty,adventerous ways!! I don’t even care if he’s not paired back up the Jen, Days summer story line is sure not to disappoint!

May 27, 2011 at 2:58 pm
(3) Martha George says:

I am so glad Jack is coming back. Jack & Jennifer belong together. I hope they start up the paper together again and do the detective work they use to do.

June 3, 2011 at 12:52 am
(4) sadie merenda says:

omg i am so happy to see Matthew Ashford come back to Days as jack, He is my favorite and I am so excited he is back.

June 11, 2011 at 1:45 am
(5) Punky 25 says:

Hooooooray!!!!!I was hoping that Matthew would return to Salem and Jennifer- have loved them since the 80′s!!! THE BEST ROMANTIC/COMEDIC COUPLE EVER in daytime soaps- what chemistry!!! Now let’s see MORE of Hope/Bo, Maggie/Victor, Julie/Doug- ALL the veteran DOOL actors that MADE this show an ICONIC DRAMA – I WATCH RELIGIOUSLY WHEN THE CLASSIC CASTMEMBERS APPEAR, BUT I LOSE INTEREST WITH THE SHORT TERM, WEAKER STORYLINES- HEY DAYS- LIKE THE OLD SAYING GOES, “IF IT AIN’T BROKE- DON’T TRY TO FIX IT!” GIVE US OUR “FAMILY” OF VETERAN ACTORS BACK- AND WE WILL GIVE YOU RATINGS!!- WELCOME BACK JACK!!!!!!!!

August 4, 2011 at 12:05 am
(6) Didee says:

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with days1985! What I love about Days (and I’ve watched it from the beginning) are the family relationships, the histories they all have together, the positive role models (Tom and Alice), etc. Enough of all the cheap and sleazy stuff. Let’s focus on LOVE and romance, and real relationships. And, please, no more fantasy $#@! like the island replica of Salem, Marlena’s possession, etc. Back to days the way it used to be is what I say!

August 13, 2011 at 2:17 am
(7) Addicted To Days says:

Punky 25 put it exactly right. All is good with the soap world again…

September 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm
(8) april says:

i hope this is true! i hate rafe and love ej but i agree that i miss the old couples. i think it would be nice to see the old loving relationships again. love the return of the originals!!!

October 24, 2011 at 12:57 pm
(9) Arlene says:

Jack has returned…his quirky and lovable charming character has been missed! Would love to see the challenge between Jack and Daniel for Jennifer’s love commitment. Of course…Jack and Jennifer were always made for each other! Daniel is a “hottie” but somehow chemistry between Daniel and Jennifer never seemed believable from the start…

Fan From The Start!!

October 4, 2013 at 5:23 pm
(10) JC says:

2 years later & I still want Jack (Matt Ashford) back. Arise from the dead and bring back his quirky serious character. He is easily the best character that DOOL has had. Jennifer has become the self-righteous drama queen and it needs to go. She needs to get a backbone & might be able to chill out with Jack (the real one) back