1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Drake Hogestyn Reveals His Days of Our Lives “Hero”

By August 19, 2011

Drake HogestynAsk Drake Hogestyn (John) who he was most looking forward to working with now that he's back on Days of Our Lives -- not counting longtime leading lady, Deidre Hall (Marlena) -- and he'll tell you in no uncertain terms: Joseph Mascolo (Stefano).

"Oh by far," says Hogestyn. "You know this guy is my hero. Seriously. I really love the man."

Hogestyn and Mascolo kept in contact while he was off the show.

"Joe's called me numerous times. And he is so funny. When he calls me, he calls me as Stefano," shares Hogestyn, breaking into Mascolo's fake onscreen accent. "He's like, '(My wife) Pat and I want you to come up to the house. I'm going to play my records for you and make you a big Italian dinner.'"

One of Mascolo's last calls was to relay the "rumblings" he'd heard about Hogestyn returning to the show.

"He told me he went upstairs [to the producers' office] saying, 'Now you remember. He's a DiMera now. He left as a DiMera, and we have a thing,'" recounts Hogestyn.

Hogestyn can't wait to delve into that "thing" onscreen.

"So far we've had one short scene together, where it was the reintroduction [of John and Marlena]," notes Hogestyn. "But already there was a raised eyebrow and a smirk on his part. We just locked our eyes on each other, and there were a lot of underlying currents. We both know that something great is coming."

Photo Courtesy: Getty Images/Frederick M. Brown

Comments

August 19, 2011 at 3:54 pm
(1) Cilla says:

I Totally agree with DRAKE I too look forward to seeing those imfamous John Black vs Stefano Dimera clashes being played out on my Tv Screen again!!!
Especially since we learned that John Black actually has Brady & Dimera blood racing through his veins, being that he is aka Ryan Dimera so it going to be the only Good Dimera vs the ultimate Evil Dimera.

SO SO HAPPY DRAKE/JOHN/RYAN is Back in Salem where He Belongs!!!

August 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm
(2) LUMI says:

I am the happiest FAN ,just knowing my man John is back,come on September 26,,,,
I hope he brings Bryan Dattilo/Lucas Horton with him

August 19, 2011 at 9:05 pm
(3) Annie Roney says:

I am so happy/Drakelerious, Drake is coming back. I too look forward to more Stephano and John Black Ryan Dimera together. I felt so much was left unsaid. Also I too, hope that Bryan Dattilo is coming back asap. It is going to be one exciting Days again.

August 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm
(4) Joyce Hightower says:

Can ‘t wait to see the exchanges between Stephano and John–They are both such nice people and great actors. Ms Joyce Drakes #1 Fan in Arkansas

August 20, 2011 at 12:51 am
(5) Vada says:

I’m so happy to know that Drake & Diedre are coming back to days. The other actors are coming back also. The ones that have already come back to Days.

August 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm
(6) KS says:

That the one thing that has me worried I am so afraid that the new writers would forget that John is a DiMera by blood because the writers seem to forget that Brady Black is a DiMera as well and that bugs me. So I am glad that Joe said that to the writers I am so looking forward to September 26.

August 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm
(7) Janine Smith says:

OMG! I am soooooo excited!!!! I saw and met Drake and his lovely wife and daughters at the Days 45 year book signing. (They surprised the crew and the guests)His family is sooooo nice and I told them that I truly wished that their dad and husnand would return to the show. Drake said We’ll see and that he really wanted to return too… I hope some of us that spoke up at the signing helped bring him back (hehe) I have some very cherished photos with him and his family. Love,love,love them :-)

Welcome home Drake (John) !!! I can’t wait to see you and Marlena on set again. WoooHoooooooo

September 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm
(8) The "Real" Mrs. Black says:

I am so excited to have John back on the show. He was the reason I began watching DAYS. He is awesome, great, gorgeous, and ALWAYS so cool and collected…

January 18, 2012 at 10:00 pm
(9) Linda says:

WOO HOO! I adore Drake, BRILLIANT actor and sweetheart of a man! Hopefully Drake and Joe can remind the writers of their character’s DiMera connection. Let the fun begin!

May 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm
(10) dennis says:

days is great. don’t fire the great actors. fire the writers. or you’ll lose alot of viewers

June 1, 2012 at 2:13 pm
(11) GrammaJ says:

Been watching watching Days for years. Just wondering, is Drake Hogestyn (John) related to Christopher Walken?