1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Camila Banus Torn over the End of Days of Our Lives' Will and Gabi

By November 15, 2011

Chandler Massey and Camila BanusWhen Camila Banus (Gabi) learned her Days of Our Lives boyfriend, Will, would be coming out of the closet, she didn't hem and haw about her daytime love story coming to an end.

"My first reaction was, 'I'm so excited,'" reveals Banus. "Not only for me and the things that are going to happen to Gabi, but also for Chandler (Massey). I know that he is a tremendous actor, and he's going to play the heck out of this. He's going to deliver a wonderful execution of the storyline."

Nevertheless, Banus is the first to admit that she adores Will and Gabi together. "They're so cute," she smiles, conceding that she'll miss the coupling. "Gabi loves Will. Before they were ever boyfriend and girlfriend, they were best friends, who were there for each other."

Hence, Banus anticipates that Gabi will take the news that Will is gay extremely hard. "She's going to feel it," contends Banus. "To be completely denied by him in this way is definitely going to make her feel like something is wrong with her."

Banus looks forward to playing the fallout. "For me there are so many questions," says Banus. "How is Gabi going to react? Is she going to turn to somebody [else]? Is she going to break up with Will? Is he going to go behind her back? So many things could happen that could affect Gabi, her brother (Rafe), Sami ... It's going to be an amazing storyline."

Photo Courtesy: NBC/Paul Drinkwater

Comments

November 16, 2011 at 3:58 am
(1) DaysFan says:

My first thought is who would ever write this about an already-existing, long-term, straight character and expect it to be believable? Do they honestly think fans are just going to ‘forget’ that before this come up, he and Gabi were doing so well, or what about him and Mia? Simply put… believability for this storyline just is not there. It is simply another copied “Passions” storyline,… aka Chad (Passions character). For that matter, why does he keep hiring people who wrote or directed shows that have been cancelled, let alone copying storylines from cancelled shows?

November 16, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(2) mary long says:

I think this is ridiculous to have Will to be gay. I like Days but to put this in the story, why? It makes me sick to watch this in a show. Come up with something else.

November 16, 2011 at 7:31 pm
(3) lily says:

Days is making a huge mistake by making Will gay. ‘Nuff said!

November 16, 2011 at 10:05 pm
(4) leolady says:

please don’t go down this road He has always been interested in girls.He and Gabby are so good together.This will lose a lot of viewers myself for one.Why can’t they leave things like they are.You already have Sonny as gay..leave Will alone

November 17, 2011 at 10:51 am
(5) Deb says:

This is absolutely ridiculous. Leave well enough alone and let Gaby and Will stay together

November 17, 2011 at 1:16 pm
(6) LouisianaDaysFan says:

NBC is again, showing their true colors by being “politically correct” by having a gay, “main” character. They will continue to pound this into our heads. I am sure soon, we will have a lesbian story line also. I haver nothing against people who choose to live this lifestyle, but to have it continually in front of our faces I am against. Bye Bye days, I am sure soon it will be cancelled.

November 17, 2011 at 10:35 pm
(7) acdc says:

Well, looks like the haters have migrated. This hate crap is ridiculous. And what about the gay audience, and there is a huge one that tire of having heterosexual storylines, plots and scenes in their faces all the time. There is far more hetero than gay shoved in people’s faces. From tv to film, books, magazines, posters, art, music, etc. 90% or more of what is seen is hetero. You get one gay storyline or two and you are all over it like a cheap suit on a vacuum cleaner salesman.

I tire so of seeing it always be man/woman. I love seeing man/man, woman/woman and transgendered, transvestite, cross dressers. It mkaes it more interesting a story if you have people from all sides and walks of life. I also love seeing all ethnicities, cultures, etc. I long for Days to get on people from india, the Middle East, Asia, Russia, The Eastern Bloc, Native Americans, South Americans, Canadians, etc. I love seeing all sorts of love stories played out.

So many others showed gay storylines many years before Days. Days is finally catching up thank Goodness. If anything, the show’s ratings will soar. Deidre speaks of her scenes coming up for December and January/February as being quite powerful, poignant, rich and deep with emotion. These are all scenes she is going to be having with Chandler Massey/Will.

If all you gripers spent that time helping others, working for the cvommon good of all in your communities think how much better this world would be.

November 20, 2011 at 9:01 pm
(8) jamieaec says:

yay! finally something that is real and not boring! Do all you people really live in a hetero bubble??? I’m happy that a wider diversity of people will be shown!!!

November 20, 2011 at 9:01 pm
(9) jamieaec says:

November 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm
(10) Seth says:

Good for Days, this will be a welcome change from the norm of baby switches, DNA test changes and adultery. As for the bigots complaining, you’re pitiable and your days are numbered.

November 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm
(11) Beverlee says:

The Sami, EJ having sex storyline was not necessary. If Sami becomes pregnant with yet another one of EJ babies I will never watch Days again.

November 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm
(12) DLEE says:

I am very unhappy with this storyline. I don’t mind having gay characters, or seeing Will be confused and having him explore his sexuality, if need be. But I would rather they brought in a new character that is gay if they’re looking for a partner for Sonny, than to turn an existing character.

November 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm
(13) jene says:

Will being Gay is so stupid since has always liked girls. Hmm
I wish the writers would stop this nonsense and write something believeable this is not believeable and it’s just a matter of time before we stop watching this nonsense…No I’m not against anyone Gay or otherwise just this makes no sense.

Sami seems to always be running from man to man she needs to get a job and stop behaving like she’s a teenager with raging hormones.

November 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm
(14) KAREN says:

i dont mind the gay storyline as much as i hate making Will gay. someone else such as T could be sonnys partner. will has grown up on the show and has always been portrayed as straight. please Days reconsider using another actor.

November 21, 2011 at 11:43 pm
(15) Jo Dean says:

I have been watching DOOL since it came on the air. I love our people on Days , yes I know that times are a changing BUT , why do we have to have Homosexuals on there???!!!

November 22, 2011 at 2:09 am
(16) Tiger says:

Because gays make up 10% of the population? Grow up. Will is in his late teens or early twenties when people tend to come to turns with their sexuality after being told they are not okay the way they are. It’s almost 2012 people. Do you know your head from your feet?

November 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm
(17) Sybil says:

While I don’t have a problem with a gay storyline since it is a part of our culture even if I don’t agree I really wish someone else could come on to be Sonny’s partner maybe someone from his past or another lost DiMera Will has had enough controversitty in his life without this He needs Gabi to support him in all the strife Sammi causes in his life

November 23, 2011 at 1:01 am
(18) happy says:

I have also been watching the show since it started and feel like they are making a huge mistake in going this way with Will. I realize 10% of people are making mistakes of their lives, but it is not something that should be pushed on people or showing the younger generation that it is ok. It will be a huge mistake for this show and since you are the only one left on the screen to turn in a wrong direction.

December 3, 2011 at 1:13 am
(19) tee says:

I love days it’s the only soap i watch. But sami please stay with one man. Will gay? Come on, he and gabi belong that the best couple since bo and hope. I’d rather see meloney and abigail or sunny and chad. That would be interesting. But then again, with all sami has put will through I’m shocked he did come out years ago.

December 5, 2011 at 12:47 am
(20) lpolledo,kentucky says:

I dont mind will being gay. just please fin.d gabby a new boyfriend. she is a good actress and is good for the show.lp,ky

December 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm
(21) cami says:

I don’t mind the story at all…in fact I think it’s great! My question is why do they always change an established “straight” character to come out of the closet? They brought Sonny on board to play this roll…why not bring back some other estranged Brady character…like Patch & Kayla’s Joey??? Can’t they age him like they do everyone else?

This is just like when 90210 changed the womanizing TEDDY….failed!!! That’s where Sonny came from. Teddy is leaving that roll this season because it didn’t work out.

January 23, 2012 at 11:04 am
(22) Straight Man says:

The majority of us viewers are not pro-gay. Have the homosexuals demanded this? They seem to be demanding recognition right and left. Better exclude “right.”

February 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm
(23) MM says:

Nothing wrong with being gay. Nothing wrong with a main character being gay as part of a story line. The only problem is that Will is not gay!

July 25, 2012 at 11:34 am
(24) Small Property Management says:

Great paintings! That is the kind of information that are supposed to be shared across the web. Disgrace on Google for not positioning this post upper! Come on over and discuss with my website . Thanks =)

August 1, 2012 at 1:34 pm
(25) aj says:

How can Days make Will gay after all this time Thats crazy Hes NOT gay

November 19, 2012 at 10:40 am
(26) Kay says:

Life happens. I don’t see a problem with Will being confused about his sexuality at his age and finally realizing that he is gay. This happens to alot of people. There are people who deny this about themselves for years, and sometimes into mid-life (30 or 40 years old) finally decide that they have been living a lie and come out of the closet. I don’t think it is unrealistic for Will to come to this decision at his age. This is an opportunity for Chandler Massey to have an interesting storyline and to grow as an actor (which he already is a very talented actor).

November 26, 2012 at 6:45 pm
(27) mini says:

People please it iws only a fairy tale or whatever. I doubt Will or Sonny are either gay in real life.These thing do happen in our real life. If you don’t like it turn your tv off. As for young children watching…first they maybe should not be watching in t6he first place. If someone is not gay DAys of our life or any other tv show or movie will not cause them to become that way.

January 24, 2013 at 10:32 am
(28) nick says:

what up with will as his mother gave up her life for 20 year to be his mother in he talk like his mother never did a damn thing for him as this land is for god in not for gay, i say make it dream in let mel or will or shown or bell wake in the five year never happen but gabi getting away what she did to mel as mel should come back as ej old man hit woman, in god nbc the gay in the black thank they can do any thing as god will show you when you all pass in as paul said to the pit you will go as in 2016 we will get the house back in the black in gay will go back to where they need to be gay suck in mel should kill gabi in take the baby for her self in nick you sob i hop will kill you

February 14, 2013 at 3:48 pm
(29) Maria says:

I think that everyone who is saying that ‘this shouldn’t be happening’ and ‘Days of Our Lives is making a mistake’ are homophobic idiots! Seriously grow up and stop judging. Do you know how many times gay guys like girls before they realise they’re gay? Do you know how rare it is that a guy will find out he’s gay early on? I think it’s good that you’re not gonna watch DOOL anymore because frankly we don’t need people like you on the show. If it makes you sick to watch it then you know what? YOU make me sick! End of.

March 9, 2014 at 11:31 am
(30) DAYS fan since 2000 says:

It’s quite shocking – and ridiculous – to read some of the homophobic and absurd comments now in 2014.

After Will and Sonny have had two wonderful years together attracting so many new viewers and fans for DAYS as no other couple has. And Chandler Massey won two Emmys for his portrayal of a gay teenager!

What other storyline/couple has achieved that in such a short period of time??

And when I look back, Will and Gabi never really felt right to me and very obviously, I’m not the only one: On YouTube you can still find countless comments of viewers back then (already in 2010) who wanted to see Will and Chad together, because they felt that Will, in the uniquely sensitive and emotional way Chandler Massey portrayed him, was rather gay than straight.

So, thank you so much, Chandler and Freddie and all the wonderful people behind the scenes for giving us one of the best supercouples ever: WilSon!!