1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Alison Sweeney Discusses the Fate of Days of Our Lives

By January 19, 2012

Alison SweeneyAlison Sweeney (Sami) really feels for fans who have had to sit back and watch their favorite soaps get canceled. She discussed the topic, as well as the fate of Days of Our Lives, during a recent interview with parade.com.

I meet soap fans every day who talk about what a big part of their life it is and how they watched with their mom and their grandma," said Sweeney. "Those characters were a part of their family dynamic for their whole lives in some instances. So I know how hard it is for all those One Life to Live fans right now and how hard it is to say goodbye to something that's been so close to their hearts.

Sweeney hopes Days viewers never have to feel their pain.

"We're just hopeful at Days of Our Lives that we can continue to fight the fight and represent daytime and keep our characters on for as long as we possibly can," shared Sweeney. "We want fans to know that we're still there and we're making the best show we possibly can."

The rest, of course, lays in the hands of the show's network.

"Hopefully, NBC will believe in us and keep us on for a long time," added Sweeney.

Photo Courtesy: NBC/Lewis Jacobs

Comments

January 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm
(1) linda says:

i hope they never take days off the air i would be lost with out the show u are like family to me.

January 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm
(2) Yenetti says:

Ali, I commend you and the rest of the DOOL cast for fighting to keep DOOL on the air. I hope all of you can do it since its so hard for soaps these days. I’m sure you don’t remember meeting me at The Day Of Days back in November ( I was the guy who told you and Galen I was from Salem,IL) but it was a pleasure meeting you and Galen and the rest of the cast who are so nice and I told Ari how much I appreciate what she does to support our troops. I hope DOOL makes its to its 50th anniversary and beyond.

Yenetti, Salem, Illinois
(Home Of DOOL)

January 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm
(3) Pam says:

I love days..I have watched days since I was in preschool ..I remember getting home from school and laying on a blanket watching days with my mom. Yes, I have watched days for over 40 years. Please…don’t keep up the charade with Abigail and Austin ..its gross! And let Sami be happy with Rafe…

January 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm
(4) linda watson says:

I have watched days of our lives since I was six years old and like same says it is a big part of my life of about 40years and I cry when a cast member leaves so PLEASE keep the show going as long as you can thank you

January 20, 2012 at 9:20 pm
(5) Sylvia Heiland says:

I have watched Days since it first came on. In 1992 Drake Hogestyn made an appearance here in Lancaster, and May 1992 I flew out to Studio City to meet Susan Seaforth Hayes at her gathering and met some from cast there and again on the mini cruise . In June Macdonald Carey came to our local ch 8 Live show . I met and he was so nice to talk with.

January 21, 2012 at 10:15 am
(6) Debbie R-D says:

I want to thank the writers who are incorporating a lot of backstory and history into the current, evolving story lines…it helps to keep it straight and, more importantly, it makes it more interesting!

January 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm
(7) LORI says:

My Days would be lost without DOOL. i am one that watched with my mom and grandma and now with my daughters. I look forward to that hour every day that I can “escape” to Salem. I have remained a loyal viewer not matter what and support the sponsors that advertise during that hour to hopefully keep the show on for my grandkids. There have been a few actors/characters that have rubbed me the wrong way and I wonder what are the writers thinking, Quinn right now, just as an example, but with story lines like the one with Will right now and Sami and Madison sticking it to Kate and Victor and Maggie getting together I can’t wait to see what happens next. I hope the network will listen to the fans and keep it on the air forever!!

January 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm
(8) Debbie Nickerson says:

I’ve been watching DOOL since its first air date. My mother was an avid fan since Macdonald Carey went to her rival high school here in Sioux City. Allison, I remember when you first came to the show and have watched you grow into the wonderful person you have become. I honestly don’t see how you possibly juggle all your jobs and still stay as beautiful as you are.

If Days ever gets discontinued (which I hope never happens in my lifetime anyway) you can all be very proud of the great job you’ve done.

January 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm
(9) Chris says:

I love this Soap , I would not know what to do
if I could not watch my

Day’s of my life !

January 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm
(10) Nancy says:

I have been watching Days since 1973 when I was pregnant with my first child. I keep up over the years. Miss some shows now and then but thanks god for DVR now. DOOL rocks & all my favorite actors too. It is nice to see Marlene (Hall) and John back on the show.

January 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm
(11) Joanne says:

I too love DOOL, what is the network thinking or NOT
I have been watching Days for over 45 years, my kids who now adults with kids of their own also watch it, I was not a viewer of One Life To Live but to replace it with The Chew and The Revelotion is absurd!!! Both of these shows are BORING I switch to LMN when they are on, wake up network big shots and listen to your viewers as The Chew and The Revelotion is never going to get the ratings you are expecting, both are gross and a waste of your time!!!!

January 23, 2012 at 5:49 pm
(12) sylvia says:

Days is going down the wrong road. It has lost it’s appeal for me. BORING! I’ve watched since it’s inception and never have I seen it so ridiculous. They let the wrong actors go, brought back some uninteresting ones, hired a few new ones who turn my stomach, and the storylines are all about bedhopping, rich -itches, high class people. This soap will be history if the writers don’t get some heartfelt, family based storylines. I’m not talking Marlena/Will gay junk either. Wish I could be a writer. The ratings would soar!

January 23, 2012 at 6:30 pm
(13) Dale says:

I first started watching Days in the early spring of 1968 when I was pregnant with my eldest son and not working. A friend who was a big fan got me hooked on it. Thank god, when I returned to work, we had our first VCR and could record it. There have been times through the years when it has become boring or ridiculous but I have always hung in there. I support the return of a lot of the older actors; I always liked Marlena and John as one of my favourite couples. Thank you, NBC, for bringing them back. I loved that little surprise last week when we found out that Sami’s going over to Kate’s competing company was all a plot! Keep up the good work.

January 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm
(14) Shirley says:

I wish Days of our lives would be like it was when Mr and Mrs Horten were, here, they wouldn’t be in and out of bed with other men and women. I am so glad they aren’t here, today they would roll over in their graves. The good parts in Days are about Jennifer and the doctor. I wish we could see good moments in Days, then I would watch again, but right now I like too watch good movies, Donna Reed, Fathers No best. I use too watch them with my father.

January 23, 2012 at 7:42 pm
(15) Carol says:

Wouldnt it be cool if they came out with DVDs on all the shows from Days!? From beginning to present

January 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm
(16) Mertis says:

A relative said that she read in the TV Guide, January 17th issue, I believe, that DOOLS was going to go nighttime in the summer of 2012, because of a talk show that was going to start then and in the slot that DOOLS is in right now. If someone has this issue please read it and post what it says if you can. Thanks so much

January 23, 2012 at 8:15 pm
(17) Bettina says:

First, I love seeing John and Marlena again. Without them the show lost its foundation. It is great to see so many original cast members back…feels like a family reunion!
I really don’t like Madison…she tries too hard and has no chemistry with Brady. And am still hoping Days doesn’t do a gay storyline. You will lose a lot of viewers. I have watched it since the first day with my mother and would hate to quit it now!

January 23, 2012 at 10:03 pm
(18) KAREN says:

i’ve been a fan since day one in 1965 and to loose days would devastate me and all days fans. i hope it stays on for a long time. being a senior we older fans live for 1pm. thank God i have a dvr. NBC if you ever cancel days you will surely regret it , because unbenonced to popular belief there will always be a need for soaps it gives us all a one hour escape from our troubles of daily life. thanks for letting me rant. . GOD BLESS YOU ALL

January 24, 2012 at 2:11 am
(19) Yvonne Kitchingman (New Zealand) says:

Long live Days of Our Lives. I am from New Zealand and have been watching the show for 37 years – they are truly family. I met Alison personally when I flew half way round the world to the Day of Days event in 2010. Alison couldn’t believe that I’d come so far to meet them and even mentioned me in her interview that day. I’ll never forget meeting Doug and Julie – I almost cried when Doug said it was “just family”. The best Day of my Life.

January 24, 2012 at 7:38 am
(20) Helen H says:

Have watched DOOL since it came on throught thick and thin and will continue. Of course some plots will be boring but hang in it will change. I am glad they have mostly kept the core families intact and with front line stories. They remember the history and I love that they brought back Marlena, Jack,John and that the older actors-Maggie, Victor and Stephano (greatest daytime villian) are still viable!

January 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm
(21) David says:

When I lived in France last year, there were 4 American soap operas on the air there, and they are the same 4 that are now on the air here! I’m wondering if the money the soaps get from overseas broadcasts is what’s keeping them on the air here?

January 29, 2012 at 12:15 am
(22) Becky says:

I have grown up watching DOL and now that I am seriously ill and unable to do much for myself or travel,DOL is my salvation. I watch it everyday and tape when I have doctors appointments so I can watch it later. It is my hope that DOL will NOT meet the fate as the other soap operas did, I can not stand the real life crap they have on tv now. DOL’s keep me smiling, crying and praying. 3 excellent qualities a daytime opera can give to theie public.

(62 years old and in need of a new heart)

January 29, 2012 at 9:19 am
(23) Laurie says:

May NBC NEVER cancel DAYS! Amen….

January 30, 2012 at 12:02 pm
(24) Bobbie says:

Please, PULEESE, do not take DOOL off the air!! I have watched other soaps in years past, but this one is the best as far as I’m concerned. I’ve watched it from it’s beginning. I love all the characters, both old and new!! I just love DOOL… period!!!!

January 30, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(25) Barbara says:

I have been watching DOOL since my dayghter was born in 1965..I was 27 then and about to turn 74. I tape it every day and enjoy it at night….I hope it stays on long after i’m gone..

January 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm
(26) penny ohm says:

KEEP Days on !!
We don’t need another cooking show. And all those “self help” programs the networks are pushing down our throats is making us SICK. I rather watch Days than learn how to cook TOFU turkey and where to buy cosmetics.

January 30, 2012 at 10:50 pm
(27) ashley kemble says:

Please, please, please, stop the story line between Carrie & Rafe! It’s so unrealistic!

February 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm
(28) Denver says:

Here in South Africa we are watching the episodes of Days when Sami just returned from witness protection and Lucas is in hospital and the Dimera-Kiriakis feud about to begin. Sami and Nicole rule this show (big-up to Allison and Arianne). These two blonde bombshells have acting skills superior to most Hollywood actresses!

February 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm
(29) EDWARDS says:

I HOPE THEY DON’T HAVE ANOTHER GAY STORY , OH NO NOT AGAIN, ENOUGH ALREADY, GET A GRIP PPL. ALL THE OTHER SOAPS ARE GONE DUE TO , TOOOOOOO MANY GAY STORIES, HAVEN’T YOU NOTICE, BESIDES OLTL A LONG BABY ISSUE, KILLING TODD I STOP WATCHING, WHEN I STARTED TO ME HE WAS THE ONLY TODD I KNEW!!!!!!!!!! MAKING WILL GAY WILL BE MY LAST DAYS OF MY LIFE I WOULDN’T CARE WHOM YOU BRING BACK YOUR RATINGS WILL FALL. GOODBYE TO DAYS OF OUR LIVES FOREVER…………………………….EXIT THIS WAY PLEASE….

February 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm
(30) EDWARDS says:

I LOVE DOOL, HOWEVER THEY MUST BE STUCK IN THEIR OWN TIME , THEO FOR INSTANCE HE SHOULD BE WILLS’ AGE BY NOW , ALL THE KIDS OF THE SOAP HAS PAST HIM UP INCLUDING THE ONES THAT ARE OF EJ , BO AND HOPES CIERA THE CHILD HAS PASSED POOR THEO UP, SHAME ON DOOL TO NOT AGE HIM , THEY RATHER MAKE HIM STUN AND RETARED,I DO SEE SOME PREJUDICE IN THIS MATTER YOU NEED TO GO OFF. HAVING WILL ACT LIKE A GOOF , THEN FINDING HIMSELF TO BE GAY IS OFF, CAUSE SONNY IS , COME ON DAYS THINK AGAIN , HE SHOULD BE A DR. OR AN OFFICER, NOT A GAY BOY YOU HAVE TO MANY YOUNG ONES ON YOU FORGOT THE NAME OF THE SOAP, I THINK I DID………..

February 3, 2012 at 2:26 pm
(31) Jim says:

Stunningly intense acting, especially from Chandler Massey, Allison Sweeney, James Scott and their fellow cast members. Each gives their all to their roles and I, for one, feel they deserve professional accolades from the industry as well as from their fan base.

Kudos all around and Emmys, too!

February 3, 2012 at 9:34 pm
(32) CJ says:

I, too would rather watch “soap operas” (& DOOL’s is one of my all time favorites) than the talk shows, cook shows, reality shows, etc. These shows have people that can really act out their roles & I look forward to watching everyday, on stations either during the day or night. It’s very sad that my other favorite shows have cancelled. I hope DOOL’s stays on for a long time…. without going gay, for if so, I & many, many others I know will not watch that gay crap on their tv. Please stay & don’t go gay!!!

February 6, 2012 at 11:29 pm
(33) Doris Vojnar says:

I have been watching for over 20 years when I can. Please do not go off the Air..We need to keep Rafe and Sami together. Do not want to see Rafe get hurt again by EJ…and Abe should be Mayor…

February 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm
(34) LayeneSleen says:

http://hifrino.ru/ hifrino.ru
Feel more excited with women

February 10, 2012 at 1:20 pm
(35) hemiorremieby says:

http://rxmedicaretax.com/ rxmedicaretax.com Make your King-Kong twice larger

February 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm
(36) Cathie says:

I have watch days ever since it started.If i can be home i taped it . I sure hope it doesn’t go off air .I look foward to it every day even when i don’t like the way it goes sometimes. It saddens me that chole won’t be back at the show . keep up the good work .

February 11, 2012 at 9:34 pm
(37) Carly says:

Wish the Days writers would forget the gay storyline especially making Will gay. I fast forwarded thru the parts with Will and Sonny. I don’t intend to watch this crap. Please have some good story lines with Roman, Bo and Hope at the police dept. like they used to have and stop having so much sex and affairs. It gets old after a while, Please let Rafe and Sammi be happy and see more of Roman and Ciarra and have more family stories and not so much sex.

February 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm
(38) Marilyn says:

Stay fresh and you will never have to worry.

February 14, 2012 at 11:23 pm
(39) nancy koon says:

Sami, Sami, Sami I had high hopes for you, After you became involved with Rafe I thought you were turning your life around, but when you shot EJ and then cheated on Rafe will you ever grow up? You now have become my least favorite character.

February 18, 2012 at 11:13 am
(40) Marion says:

I have watched Days since its beginning back in the 60′s. I dvr it everyday! Love this show! Was so glad it didn’t go off air in September!
Any one have any thoughts on what Stefano found in his envelope?

February 19, 2012 at 7:20 pm
(41) Linda says:

I have watched Days since Julie, Susan and David was a big deal. I hope NBC never decides to cancel Days, I would be lost.

February 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm
(42) Laura says:

Allison; I love you on Days, have forever BUT I have a “suggestion” for you on The Biggest Loser: LOSE the RED LIPSTICK! It makes you look horrible! I’m telling you only because I love you and only want what’s best for you.

February 20, 2012 at 8:25 pm
(43) Chloecat says:

The John – Hope story is stupid. Going to “Umptioria” to get a “divorce”? Give us a break. I don’t think even teen agers are going to swallow that one. Writers are probably going to introduce some prince for Hope to fall in love with and keep her in “Choriopia” while Bo attempts to get a Visa. And what the H???. John has his own airplane. What’s with the airport problems? Isn’t it nice that John can trapse off leaving Brady in charge of Basic Black while messing around with Madison. Shareholders must be thrilled.

February 20, 2012 at 9:40 pm
(44) linda says:

i hope they do not take days off the air i grew up watching the show

February 21, 2012 at 12:50 am
(45) Nicola Hosken says:

I have watched Days since the early 70s on and off, I love the show, I would be lost with out it, we tape it so that we can sit down in the evenings and watch it.
Thisis one Soap that we enjoy watching,
It would be very sad if it was taken off.
Love you Days…….

February 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm
(46) Margierini says:

Chloecat, you just cracked me up. I get what you mean. These crazy names they come up with are so childish. I swear the actual writers are 3rd grade children writing their little story lines. I, too think the gay stuff is not necessary. I don’t think the fans are ready for such stuff. Save that for evening t.v. Abby’s story line is boring and does not fit in with anything. Austin and Carrie should go back to Europe and take Abby, Madison, Ian, Gaby, Sonny and the rest of his friends and leave the stories to the actors that make up a good show. I like
Will’s character as a trouble teen, but not gay. Maybe he just needs a little confidence with women. BTW I’ve been watching Days since it’s first airing and I feel like I own some rights to it as a long time devoted fan. My daughter started watching it with me since she was 4 years old. still watches it after 46 years.

February 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm
(47) Nasty says:

Several people in my area have watched Days for several years. We are all sick after todays episode and will no longer be watching the show. I had not missed a episode in over 30 years. I can’t believe they showed such mess as that. More time to workout I guess.

February 23, 2012 at 4:42 pm
(48) jeannie says:

Love Days! I’ve been watching for 20 yrs. People shouldn’t be so homophobic about Will. Gay people exist. Get over it! Please don’t ever go off the air!

March 20, 2012 at 9:59 pm
(49) MM says:

As a long time Days fan I’d like to share that one of the reasons it has been so successful for such a long time is the strong sense of family that spans the generations. I have been watching Days since I was a teenager with my grandmother. The cast has always appeared to be a family off camera as wel as on.. That is a big part of what makes fans feel connected. At first I was really happy to learn that Lisa Rinna was coming “home”, then word got out that she was disrespecting Joe Mascolo. We all love to hate Stefano! There has been only one Stefano, but several Billies. Lisa needs to watch her P’s & Q’s if she wants support from the fans. Just saying…….

June 20, 2012 at 6:10 pm
(50) Jackie says:

I am 26 years old and I have been watching Days of Our Lives since I was a tot. My mom and my dads mom and dad watched it when I lived with them. My moms mom also watched it too. If any of us miss a day of days, we either dvr it or tell the other what happened on the day we missed days. I just want to let other fans know… I support Will for being gay. You are your own person plus I have a lot of friends that are gay. My mother just came out a few months ago and told me that she is a lesbian. Also I hope the show never ends. Plus I hope that Sami and Lucas get married again. They are holding out on their true feelings on how they feel about one another. I hope that they also have a few more kids. They make precious children on the show.

January 3, 2014 at 3:02 am
(51) miche says:

I remember your first day on days when you took over the role of Sami. I was bored one summer and caught Days on and now have watched the show for 33 years….and I CANT live without it. :) Even got my husband and daughter addicted, so keep it coming.