1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Charles Shaughnessy Returning to Days of Our Lives

By February 20, 2012

Charles ShaughnessyAnother superstar from Days of Our Lives' glorious 1980's is heading back to the show: Charles Shaughnessy. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the veteran actor will reprise his role as ISA agent Shane Donovan on May 2, when the character returns to Salem to investigate a case.

Shaughnessy originally joined the Days cast in 1984 and stayed with the show until 1992. He returned briefly in 2002. He was last seen in 2010, when Shane turned up as Rafe's cell mate in a South American jail and then returned to Salem for Alice Horton's memorial service.

At the time, the actor admitted he was "open" to a longer return to daytime, despite his success in primetime. Shaughnessy, of course, starred in The Nanny from 1993 to 1999.

"A job's a job these days, and the people are great," noted Shaughnessy, adding that he always enjoyed the daytime medium. "It's even more fun these days, because it's so quick. You go in in the morning, and you're out by the afternoon. It's a very efficient way to work. I've always enjoyed working at that speed."

Photo Courtesy: Getty Images/Frazer Harrison

Comments

February 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm
(1) BLONDIE says:

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO CAN FIND JOHN’S STOLEN MONEY.

February 20, 2012 at 11:48 pm
(2) kc says:

i have watched days of our lives for years. if you write ej as major i will never watch it again. he is crooked & under handed & so is nicole. this will beak up the whole show.

February 21, 2012 at 12:06 am
(3) Fruitloupmom says:

Thank goodness someone who will help bring spice back to Salem. I have always loved Shane and Kim. I think that Charles/Shane will bring some much needed life and story plots back to Salem. Maybe he can even kill off the stupid story line with Madison and the secret husband. Oh and Sammy get a life…

February 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm
(4) Toni Leoni says:

THANK GOD CHARLES IS RETURNING TO DAYS!!!!!!!!

Once He’s back on, maybe it won’t be BORING like it is now. Finally someone made a right decision. Maybe they got wind of Jeffrey H’s class action suit and wised up. Now BRING BACK DENA HIGLEY ASAP get rid of of Rafe, put Sami back with EJ, put Nicole back with Lucas and have it where Nicole is really Will’s Mom and he’s elated and Will can be happily gay with another man.

February 22, 2012 at 10:23 am
(5) fancypants says:

The last time we saw Shane it was only to prop Rafe which was a total waste of time. I like Shane but can’t get too excited about his return having a feeling we won’t see much of him on screen,

February 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm
(6) Linda says:

YAY! Now HOPEFULLY he’ll work with Drake Hogestyn since John is also with the ISA now!

February 27, 2012 at 4:26 pm
(7) katie says:

Does anyone remember that Lucas is really Johnny’s dad?

February 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm
(8) kim says:

katie, johnny’s dad is ej not lucas. lucas is the father of will and allie. ej is the father of johnny and sidney. glad that shane is coming back. loved him in the eighties iwth kimberly. pairing him up with kayla, i don’t know. didn’t like it the first time.

February 28, 2012 at 2:23 am
(9) D.F. says:

Wow…..so happy to hear that Charles Shaughnessy is returning as “Shane”; now we can only hope that Patsy Pease will rejoin the show soon too. Love the return of old characters.

February 28, 2012 at 1:00 pm
(10) Joanne says:

Happy to hear Charles (Shane) is coming back to Days, I loved him on the Nanny!!!
As for Will the gay scene made me sick, how immoral and sick this world is!!!
Hope Rafe and Sami get back together, they make an awesome couple and he is so easy on the eyes, what a doll!!! Love EJ and Nicole together, they put spice in this show, great job actors!!!

February 29, 2012 at 10:57 am
(11) groundhoggirl says:

Maybe now that Nicole is prego she can use this pregnancy to make EJ toe the line. He is manipulative and a user. Somehow, someway, one of the Demeras needs to pay for their actions. Hoo-ray for Shane coming back, but good heavens, aren’t their enough under-used actors on the show now? Where are Justin and Adrian? Jack is also severely under-used. It’s a given that some roles are supporting roles, but enough already with Madison….she can pack up Mad World and go elsewhere. I guess with there only being 4 soaps on the networks now, the actors don’t care much about air-time, as long as they have a contract, they get paid. And in the end, it’s all about being employed. And a contract with little air-time beats waiting tables in LA.

February 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm
(12) Janiebell says:

Welcome back Shane, we will be glad to see you again. Hope Kim {Patsy Pease} comes with you.

March 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm
(13) Wendy says:

I loved Shane in the old stories. Glad he is coming back.

As for the rest of the story line — can they possibly get rid of Sami? Is there anyone in the world more self-involved than she is? She throws Rafe out for kissing Carrie, yet she had sex with EJ!! Where did she get off being superior. Unbelievable.

And … blaming Marlena for everything? Oh come on. Take some responsibility for your own messes. Do you get the idea that the writers need to come up with some reality for this character, in my opinion?

I hope they keep Shane around for a long time.

April 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm
(14) Jacksonian says:

I’m elated to see that Charles Shaughnessy is coming back to the show. It actually gives me a reason to watch again. But PLEASE bring Patsy Pease back as well. One without the other is like peanut butter without the jelly. Beside, they could show these youngsters how it’s REALLY done.

May 3, 2012 at 1:15 am
(15) Paula says:

Bring Patsy Pease back please. I will start watching if Shane and Kim are back on the show. Please Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

May 4, 2012 at 2:07 pm
(16) mary crossley says:

I may be old enough to be his mother ,but I love Charles Shaughnessy . He is great on Days, but I also agree with his political blogs. Everyone shoud read them. They just make sense.

May 4, 2012 at 2:07 pm