1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Molly Burnett Leaving Days of Our Lives

By May 29, 2012

Molly BurnettIt's official. Molly Burnett (Melanie) is leaving Days of Our Lives, when her contract expires the end of June.

"It's been the most amazing experience," Burnett told Soap Opera Digest, expressing her gratitude to her Days "family" for opening their arms and taking her in, when she joined the show. "I look at it as four years of the best training any actor could have ever been given."

Burnett made her Days of Our Lives debut in 2008 as Max Brady's bratty "sister." However, it was later revealed that the two weren't really siblings, because Melanie had been adopted. In 2010, viewers learned that Melanie was actually the biological child of Carly Manning and Daniel Jonas.

During her four year stint on the soap, Burnett was nominated for two Daytime Emmy Awards (2010 and 2012) in the Outstanding Younger Actress in a Drama Series category.

Burnett discusses her time on Days and her hopes and dreams for the future in an upcoming issue of the magazine. You can read more, here.

Photo Courtesy: NBC/Mitchell Haaseth

Comments

May 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm
(1) becca says:

Am sorry to see Molly is leaving! I love Melanie. I look forward to seeing her in something else soon.

May 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm
(2) Voice of Reason says:

Boooooooo! She was my favorite :(

May 29, 2012 at 2:30 pm
(3) Tea says:

Y melanie, i love mels beautiful bubbly personality she could make a room of sad people smile without asking y. I wish the best in everything in her life. Peace, love, n tranquility.

May 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm
(4) Merti says:

Oh no, not Melanie, I hate to see her go, there are a few more that could go and would not be missed. Melanie certainly will be missed. Hope to see you back on soon once the writers realize that not picking your contract back up again is a Big mistake.

May 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm
(5) Ching Chang Chung says:

I’m so sad to hear that Molly is leaving. I really thought that her and Chad would’ve been a future super couple and would’ve made Will & Gabi a future super couple also instaed of making Will gay ( not that there is anything wrong with that). I guess we’ll see how it goes and see if it gets renewed past Sept 2013.

May 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(6) Booberry says:

With Melanie leaving I guess that means Chad and Gabi will hook up?

May 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm
(7) Laurence H says:

Very sorry to see the character of Melanie leave, but it’s a good move for Molly Burnett because she is wasted on this show…..I wish her the best….my favorite actress on this show that can actually act.

May 30, 2012 at 2:17 am
(8) Brody The Surfer Dude says:

EJ Dimera, I have no sympathy when you squander away a dream millions have and you’re fortunate to live but throw it away one dumb, selfish decision after another. Dude you’re 40, time to grow up

May 30, 2012 at 2:22 am
(9) Booberry says:

I wish Molly would reconder and comeback. But I guess it won’t happen. Whoa, always me!

May 30, 2012 at 11:39 am
(10) mareebee says:

Awww, that’s too bad. I really liked the whole 3 generational relationship between her and Maggie and Daniel. Hope she comes back sometime in the future.

May 30, 2012 at 11:39 am
(11) nathan says:

Lately she’s been a waste. Nothing great about her caracter at all! She looks bored half the time! I want Chad & Gabi to hook up! Thats for all you Gabi haters out there!!

May 30, 2012 at 8:00 pm
(12) LouisianaDaysFan says:

I hate Molly is leaving, however I hope they can keep the Melanie character alive by a different actress.

May 31, 2012 at 11:08 am
(13) Lena says:

I want the higher ups to reconsider, I don’t want Chad with Gabbie and Molly Burnett is one of the best newbies to come to Days in a long time and I have been watching Days since the beginning with my mom.

May 31, 2012 at 12:11 pm
(14) Dmitri says:

Well, now I guess Chad and Gabi will reunite unless Melanie and Chad find out her scheming first. Maybe Melanie will go to Baltimore and be with Nathan!!!!! Then they can cmoe back into the soap years later when they are married and she will be a doctor too! They would be a great supercouple, like Alice and Tom Horton.

May 31, 2012 at 12:12 pm
(15) Dmitri says:

I loved Molly and Melanie! I wish she had stayed on! Best of luck and come back soon!

May 31, 2012 at 12:47 pm
(16) Janelle says:

I agree with Tea. I’ve always appreciated Melanie’s bubbly personality, too. :) She’s one of the few members of the younger generation that I enjoyed watching.

June 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm
(17) Nan says:

Why is Molly going.. GET RID OF GABBY she is a waste and really has no part in the story.

June 4, 2012 at 3:59 pm
(18) Kathy says:

Im sorry to see her go, but maybe its best for her. Shes young, and she should spread her wings. I do agree with the person who said she looked bored recently on the show. I wondered if she was acting according to the script or she was really bored and wanted to persue other things.

June 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm
(19) groundhoggirl says:

Good luck and good wishes for meatier roles. Molly’s talent has been wasted (along with so many others) for months. If the cast keeps getting cut, myabe they can change their minds and bring back Jack for Jennifer.

June 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm
(20) Crystle says:

She will be missed. She is one of my favorites.

June 4, 2012 at 4:02 pm
(21) Sue says:

Well, can’t say I will miss the over the top to the gums smile. Her character was a ditz most of the time. Days will be cancelled if they really killed Stefano. WHO just who is more interesting. I love Victor, so is he next? Are the writers on an implosion watch?

June 4, 2012 at 4:13 pm
(22) Vicki in Monterey says:

Oh, dear Molly – I wish you great success in your future endeavors! I thoroughly enjoyed Melanie and will miss her on the canvas – I hope to see her in something soon. Mazel Tov

June 4, 2012 at 4:13 pm
(23) Cindy says:

I hate to read that Melanie is leaving the show. She is a fabulous actress and will be be surely missed, but wish her well in her future. acting gigs. I guess that is going to leave Chad with Gabby, who I don’t like, but must mean that she is also a a good actress.

June 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm
(24) Patricia Davis says:

I really hate to see Molly go , I loved her as Melanie. Hope you make it big in the world. Days fan for 38 yrs.

June 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm
(25) (insert name here) says:

Aww man! I’m gonna miss her! =[ I wish Days would get rid of Gabi ASAP! I can’t stand her!

June 4, 2012 at 5:28 pm
(26) Carol says:

Didn’t care for Melanie when she was with Philip, but I watched her grow as an actress and into my heart. She is great – would love to see her with Rachel in Heart of Dixie or something similiar. I will miss her and don’t want to see Gabi with Chad EVER!!!!!

June 4, 2012 at 6:22 pm
(27) JK says:

I’m sorry to see Melanie leave the show. She is a terrific actress. Would rather see Gabi leave the show. I’m happy to see John, Marlana, and Lucas back on the show. I’m very happy to see Stefano, EJ and Sami get a taste of their own medicine!! When recently looking at DOOL family trees found out that EJ’s real age (character on the show) should be closer to Will’s age on the show. Are there two EJ’s? When will more of Alice’s secrets be revealed?

June 4, 2012 at 6:40 pm
(28) JB says:

Sorry to see Molly leaving. She was wasted on the show. She reminded me of a young Melanie Griffith.
Best to you, Molly.

AND…if they have lost Joe again, I just may stop watching after all these years. Stefano always makes the show interesting.

June 4, 2012 at 6:44 pm
(29) Sandy says:

I hate hear she leaving the show she my favorite I love her alots,wish you best luck hope see you back I love you

June 4, 2012 at 7:54 pm
(30) Olga Slasten says:

Why is Molly Burnett Leaving Days? Her acting has has really skills
has really improved so much through the years,She has gone from a
C score to a A score.Please try to keep Molly Burnett.

June 4, 2012 at 9:02 pm
(31) Bettina Brown says:

Sad to see Melanie go. She was a breath of fresh air.
LOVED seeing Jack and Jennifer, Carrie and Austin, and they had better not cut Marlene and John again. or Lucas.
I agree with Stephano……they shouldn’t have had him divorce Kate..he was finally showing a human side. I would leave too if I were him because they are ruining his character. Not sure Days can go on without him.
HATE the gay story line with Will. He is a great actor though. Love EJ, Sami, Nicole, Rafe,…………..
Too many changes……I am losing interest.

June 4, 2012 at 11:07 pm
(32) Nancy says:

I love Melaine – loved her character from the beginning – she’s grown into a wonderful actress and a beautiful woman. I will miss her dearly – but, glad she’s decided to explore her talents to other options. I’m sure she will always be welcome on Days. Good Luck

June 5, 2012 at 12:33 am
(33) Carol says:

I’ve wondered if Molly has another reason for leaving other than the one she has given. I’ve been thinking over the past month or so that Melanie/Molly looks pregnant! She’s been wearing dowdy clothes and seems to have a much-thickened middle. Maybe she wants time out to have a baby, start a family…?

Best of luck to you, Molly, no matter your reasons for leaving! I hate to see you go and hope you’ll be back in the future.

June 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm
(34) Helen H says:

Not unhappy with “Melanie’s” decision to leave. I did not like her before and still do not. Never give up on Stefano….but he may have wanted to leave, as great an actor as he is maybe he wanted to retire!
They have a good potential story in who shot him…Ifind it hard to believe Stefano is really dead…he’s the Phoenix..as Kate said he has “died’ so many times.I will never give up on Days..through out the years, I have watched since its inception, I have been unhappy with some stories but they always come back.

June 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm
(35) Jessie says:

Mel was a great addition to Days and I have been watching for years. I will miss her greatly, there were still great storylines for her since Phil is coming back and Chad will be taking over the family. I also think the new writersare way off getting rid of the actors that have made day the best soap on TV. Get us back to the old days of our lives, bring back the writers that were causing a stir in Salem. That means Jack, Carey, Austin, and the rest they think need to be gone! Get Melanie back!

June 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm
(36) anne says:

sorry to here melanie leaving what about her and chad.will they still be togeather.

June 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm
(37) raymone says:

Very sorry to learn that Molly is leaving. I have enjoyed her spunk and humor and her relationship with Daniel, plus she’s great with Chad who is her boyfriend in real time. :(

June 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm
(38) xmasflower says:

Im going to miss Melanie . She is a wonderful lady . love to watch her with her true love CHAD.
Im disapinted Melanie leaves the show. She had a beautifjul heart jus like her DAD DR, DAN.
Please get rid of GABI . Im sick of that bitch GABI. hope she will leave soon
I hope Melanie will come back someday as a DR. like her DAd

June 7, 2012 at 11:06 pm
(39) Kitty says:

I’m glad to see her leaving. I never did care for the character or the actress. I don’t really think she’s a very good actress.

June 8, 2012 at 12:09 am
(40) Jen says:

Maybe she will be the new Summer on Y& R

June 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm
(41) Trish says:

So sad that she is leaving! I absolutely love her. I wish Gabi (whatever her real name is) would be leaving. Don’t like her at all.

June 29, 2012 at 2:13 am
(42) Monica says:

Oh crap…. I love Melaine. She is super cute. I really hate to see her go. I was always hoping that her and Brady would hook up. I am really getting scared. I hope Days is not going off the air. So many people are getting cut…its just plan crazy. I really wish they would keep Molly. I love her!!! Good luck Molly!!

June 30, 2012 at 10:01 am
(43) iamsimple says:

Lexi shot Stephano. She was dying and wanted everyone to get together as family, knowing he would ruin it, so she shot him and had a peaceful funeral

July 16, 2012 at 11:11 pm
(44) robin says:

BIG mistake lettin her go! As a loyal fan of Days, im asking you to reconsider her contract, she’s a very good actress and the storyline with her and Chad could go so far. I’m disappointed I wish her the very best but I’m hoping to see her reappear on the show, heck Stefano had how many lives??!!

July 17, 2012 at 9:23 am
(45) Loreta says:

What the heck? Another of the best leaving? I may abe next. I love that little girl. She is so pretty and a great addition to the show. Better offer a bonus to stay.

July 19, 2012 at 8:52 am
(46) ELIZA S says:

sure wish this wasnt true if all the good people leave Ill not be watching it for long!!!!!!

July 20, 2012 at 5:03 pm
(47) Heather says:

I am hoping Melanie’s character isn’t killed off the show. Hopefully, she can return at a later date.

As for Gabi… I am SO sick of her character!! Please lock up that dumb, lying, self-centered, clingy brat in a jail cell with her “stocker”. It’s chicks like her that give us women a bad name!

As for DOOL – before deciding not to resigning a talented actress’ contract how about you give the boot to other characters people your fans could careless about like Gabi, Lucas, and Carrie?

July 21, 2012 at 3:54 pm
(48) brittany says:

What? I liked melanie and chad they were soooooo in love with one another, Gabby needs to leave chad alone and let melanie have the love of her life@!!!!!

July 21, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(49) brittany says:

What? I liked melanie and chad they were soooooo in love with one another, Gabby needs to go to prison, jesus if a famale wanted my man that bad she could have him hell she wouldnt have to have me kidnapped…. GABBY SUCKS!! 2 face lying hussie

July 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm
(50) pixie 123 says:

I love Melanie. Give her a contract and get rid of Gabie. She is a pain and can’t act. Melanie is so believable.And her and Chad are so great together.

July 23, 2012 at 6:22 pm
(51) Cd2009 says:

I love mel …. Gabby really needs to.be the one leaving I.cant stand her!!!!!!!

July 24, 2012 at 8:32 am
(52) marie says:

I hate that Melanie is leaving!! I’d much rather see Gabi go…she gets on my nerves!!! and I really wanted to see Chad & Melanie becoming a SUPER couple, as some others have also stated. Every time I start really loving a couple or certain individuals, they seem to leave!!! Why is it when they get something good going, then they ditch it!!! Makes no sense to me when people love something, then they get rid of it & move on to something else that is not as good!

July 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm
(53) Linda says:

Melonie:
I wish you would consider not leaving as Bo and allthe other actors.
it will not be the same please stay.

July 31, 2012 at 8:41 pm
(54) dee says:

melanie is my favorite on days of our lives because of her personality and how she acts. if she leaves the show because i know she is i hope she leaves salem instead of killing her off in the explosion also i hope chad doesnt hook up with gabi because chad does love melanie and plus its going off the air soon anyways which is really sad!!!!

August 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm
(55) aj says:

You need to sent Gabby to Jail and let Chad and melanie get back together they belong together

August 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm
(56) Stephanie says:

Does anyone know when her last episode will be

August 9, 2012 at 3:25 pm
(57) tanya says:

I don’t understand how mel could be leaving in june when her last episode was july 27th.I hope she stays I would love to see her get revenge on the girl she thought was her friend.please let the show continue its normal way.its gettin so good.thanks

August 9, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(58) tanya says:

If melanie was leavin the show end of june then why was her last episode july 27th.I hope she stays an gets revenge on gabby.I hope the show continues from where it ended now,it is gettin good.I’ve been watchin the show for 15 years but if it changes too much I’m done with it.

August 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm
(59) Darlene says:

I , along with everyone else will miss her. She can act so well and I hope if and when she goes on to other things that it is advertised so we Melanie fans can follow her career. I cried when I read the article in Soap Opera Digest!

August 16, 2012 at 8:38 pm
(60) Kate says:

Melanie was a great character and she was a wonderful actress. Sorry to see her go!!

August 18, 2012 at 1:08 pm
(61) patti says:

you are going to be missed a great deal. You are a great actress. I really grew to love your character. Take care.

August 21, 2012 at 1:54 pm
(62) jennifer says:

I don’t like Melanie’s character and am glad she is leaving, now if only Gabi would follow that would be great

August 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm
(63) Carol says:

I’m sorry to see Melanie go as well..I wish her luck in her endeavours

August 23, 2012 at 2:42 pm
(64) Katie says:

This Bites, She is one of my Fav people on the show.

August 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm
(65) Heather says:

Good riddance. This is the best news I’ve heard all year. I don’t like her character at all. Now, please take Daniel with you and bring Jack back to be with Jennifer!

September 13, 2012 at 11:12 am
(66) mici says:

I am so sad!! I love Melanie!!

September 25, 2012 at 9:57 am
(67) Ro OBrien says:

Melanie will surely be missed. She is a great actress and very beautiful. Adds so much to the show. Why are u leaving?

September 25, 2012 at 10:00 am
(68) Ro says:

Melanie is so beautiful and a great actress. You will be missed alot. Good Luck to whatever she continues to do.

September 26, 2012 at 1:40 pm
(69) ida says:

Losing Melanie will be an extreme loss to the show —- she protrays a wonderful character….

September 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm
(70) V says:

Big mistake losing Melanie! I have watched Days for almost 20 years and this is a huge disappointment.

September 28, 2012 at 1:52 pm
(71) Jessica mondragon says:

The show is going.down hill

September 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm
(72) Teri Damron says:

This is so sad.
I MOlly leave for Paris, on Days, and it was so very sad.
I knew the way her “Dad” and her ” Grandma” was crying and everything, I just knew that someting was going on with that charater.
Molly was so sweet, and a wonderful young lady, and if Meline dose come back, there will NEVER be another on that can fill the place of Meline Jonis, as Molly did. She was ( and forever will be) the Number 1 Meline to me.
Molly I wish you best wishes in whatever else that you are gonna do, and hope nothing for you but the best.
Gonna miss ya Molly, and yep I almost cried when you “went to Pairs”, I woud’ve broke down it tears, if it hadn’t been for me sister and my neice in the same room as me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ‘( THANKS FOR 4 WONDERFUL YEARS ON DAYS MOLLY, THEY WERE THE BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( :

September 28, 2012 at 3:00 pm
(73) Jean says:

I love love love Melanie, she is the best, most beautiful persone on the show. I will miss her very much, hopefully she will not be gone too long. Days will not be the same without her!!!

September 28, 2012 at 3:20 pm
(74) candy says:

She is the brightest star Days has added in many years. I have watched it since its 1st year!!! She should go on to do a fabulous sitcom! Good luck.

September 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm
(75) Alicia says:

A sad time losing Molly Burnett on Days!!! What a wonderful actress she is. Melanie has been one of my fav characters. I hear Bo is next to go :(

September 28, 2012 at 6:32 pm
(76) Stella says:

Noooooo…LOVE her! Take a va-ca DON’T leave….boohoooo
Always love a beautiful redhead!

September 28, 2012 at 8:58 pm
(77) Sandy says:

Same on Days for letting Melanie go. She’s the best thing Days has going for it. But if she has to go I wish her well and hope the very best for her.

September 29, 2012 at 10:40 am
(78) kim says:

BAD decision…

September 29, 2012 at 6:43 pm
(79) JJ says:

This is just WRONG!!! I really do like her role…. She makes me laugh and she’s really cute.

September 29, 2012 at 10:53 pm
(80) Geraldine says:

I am broken hearted that Molly (Melanie) is leaving Days. She is my favorite female star on the show. She is a fantastic actress. Molly (Melanie) please don’t go. Take a break and then come back. Days won’t be the same without you. I have been a faithful Days fan since it first started years ago. Now I don’t know if I can even watch any more without Melanie being there. I am just sick. I hope they don’t try to replace her with another actress because it just won’t work.

September 30, 2012 at 11:59 pm
(81) Michael says:

I have been watching DOOL for a very long time going back to when Bo & Hope were very young and I am very saddened about Melody (Molly Burnett) leaving the show. She makes her role seem very real and that is what really makes a soap opera special. You think maybe they will have her come back on the show in years to come like they do with Carly and Billie. I had to look Molly up on the internet as I could not believe it. Everyone that I know loves her bubbly character and blunt ways. She says it like it is. We will miss you Molly.
Good luck in your career.

October 1, 2012 at 12:43 am
(82) Christy says:

I think you mean Melanie* not Melody. I thought you said you’ve been watching this show for a very long time? lol

October 1, 2012 at 12:57 pm
(83) Babs says:

We will miss Melonie. I have been watching days since I was born in 79 with my mom who has watched it since it first came on. I think Nathan and Melonie would have made a great love story power couple too.

October 2, 2012 at 2:24 pm
(84) Kathy T says:

I love the character Melony on the show. Please bring her back!!! I love Days and I’ve been watching it for ever and I always will as long as they keep it on the air. Please, please bring Melony back!!!!!

October 2, 2012 at 7:44 pm
(85) Denise says:

Please don’t leave!!!!!

October 2, 2012 at 8:44 pm
(86) Shelly says:

What are they thinking taking Melanie off she was my favorite, I don’t even like the show anymore so boring!

October 3, 2012 at 3:01 pm
(87) kelley says:

Melanie is my favorite character … i really hope she will come back.. she is the besttt ever!

October 3, 2012 at 11:48 pm
(88) Alishia says:

I’m so sad Molly left she was my favorite!!!! Don’t really see the point in watching now!!!!!! UGH!!!!!

October 5, 2012 at 1:57 pm
(89) ej says:

Sorry to see you leave molly you were awesome

October 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm
(90) diappointed says:

Days is CRAZY for letting Molly go! She is a great talant. One of the best actresses Days has ever had. I am hoping Days will bring her back soon.

October 20, 2012 at 12:54 am
(91) Lisa says:

Going to miss Melanie, she was a great actress, and enjoyed her wonderful character.

November 3, 2012 at 8:15 pm
(92) nan says:

come back Melanie!! been
watching d00l from the begining,but don’t like gay love scenes,am ready to stop watching.

November 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(93) Derilynn says:

Sadden by the news. You’ll be missed, your loving nature and bubbly infectious ways. Good luck on your future endeavors and hope to see you on something else soon!

November 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm
(94) Dasie says:

I miss Melanie too. I actually cried when she left.

December 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm
(95) isabelskelton@aol.com says:

we want her back

December 31, 2012 at 3:18 pm
(96) suzi says:

COME BACK TO DOOL WE MISS YOU SO MUCH

December 18, 2013 at 7:43 am
(97) Stella says:

Sorry that you are leaving. Always so bubbly and fresh. Would rather see the back of Carly and Maggie!!!!