1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Days' Peggy McCay Going to Miss Peter Reckell

By October 29, 2012

Peggy McCayDays of Our Lives fans aren't the only ones sorry to see longtime leading man Peter Reckell leaving his role of Bo, this week. (His last air date is October 30.) So is his TV mom, Peggy McCay (Caroline).

"I'm going to miss him," admits McCay. "We worked together a long time. There's a great bond with him. We have a very warm relationship, and it came out in our scenes."

Particularly, in the pair's final scenes together. "Peter was so sweet," recounts McCay. "He said, 'Peggy, I'm so glad my last scenes here are with you.' I was so touched by that."

As for Reckell's decision to leave Days, McCay says, "he's doing what he feels he needs to do. He wants to be with his family. As an actress I go, 'Wow! What a tricky decision.' But he's completely solid on it. He's courageous enough to do it, and I admire that."

McCay believes Reckell's exit was handled well. "He's not gone forever, the way they present it," she explains, noting that one of Bo's quests is to get rid of Stefano. "They said he's welcome back any time, and I hope that's true. Maybe at some point, he'll come back."

Photo Courtesy: NBC/Mitchell Haaseth

Comments

October 29, 2012 at 1:01 pm
(1) Judy says:

He’ll be back when he finds out there are not many phone calls for aging men. And the “time with family” is code for something else. If he is sick, why not tell us. If he had money issues, more pay, he should remember all those who work and live on a lot less. I won’t miss him at all, his acting was going downhill anyway. What a soppy way of him leaving and then leaving a door open.

October 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm
(2) Penny says:

Wow, rude much!? And He is DAYS best actor IMO! He will be very missed by DAYS true fans!!!!! I have been watching since 1980 and he has always been and will always be my fave!!! He is NOT sick either. Wow, why are you wanting to believe the worst in someone!? He has a wife and a child. Makes sense to me! AND he was to take his 2nd paycut in just a matter of a few years. Sure us non acting folk make a lot less money a year, but he has been doing this with DAYS for 3 decades and it was a slap in the face that they asked him to take yet another one when they are hiring in all of these new/old characters! He has also said his Wife wants to focus more on her singing career, so he will be Mr. Mom for a while. Nothing wrong with that, if anything it is respectable. Chill and have some respect for someone who brought so many great story lines and acting to Days of our Lives..I am so glad they are leaving the door open and hope he will come back ASAP! Also, the story with Caroline is very touching and something that families must deal with every single day! Kudos to DAYS!

October 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm
(3) Theresa says:

I’m going to miss him! I’ve been watching days for over 30 yrs now. It won’t be the same. No one can fill Bo’s shoes! Not even the one they brought in years ago!

October 29, 2012 at 2:38 pm
(4) Lanie says:

I am watching since the beginning and I feel like Bo is my own wonderful
son… I don’t know if I can handle his leaving tomorrow… :-(
My own sons live in different places many hrs away by plane and watching Bo on TV comforted me as I do not see my boys that often…

I do not want you to think I am loco but, I haved watched Bo grow up… :-)

October 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm
(5) Raindrop says:

I have been watching Days off and on for many years. They need more of the main Horton clan wrote back in. Adding another stable family line would help the Bradys keep some sanity in Salem. Bo and Hope was one of the reasons that I started back watching. I am so hurt that he needs to leave. I still miss Alex. Some core family members always need to stay unless medical issues or family obligation for the actor themselves is a need. I knew something was up when Bo tried to get Hope to go sailing again…I will miss him so much. I still haven’t gotten over the original Steve leaving. Bo and Steve were a pair of hot young men of the bad boy types. I found him on Y&R! What I don’t want to see is the actual constant kissing and sex act of Will and any other male actor. The gay storyline can be shown or covered. I just don’t care to have it clearly defined with public display of affection and bedroom scenes. I am not going to stop watching it if this continues. I have more issues with the new writers than this. Nicole is the only clear match for EJ. I guess she lost the baby because she is pregnant for real and needs to leave. I was hoping for Baby EJ! Sami needs to stay with Rafe, though Lucas and her was a nice change of pace. Jennifer needed to have left with Jack! Abby needs to be a dark haired cutie and let Maggie stay being a mother and grandmother! Brady and Mady great chemistry.

October 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm
(6) Brenda says:

His place on DOL will be missed, but he’s not a very good actor — even when he left and went on Dallas or Knots Landing. Couldn’t figure out why he was hired. It’s easy to see why EJ, Rafe, and Daniel are used more. Justin should now get more air time as well.

October 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm
(7) Brenda says:

Shame they let Madison die. Days is having a problem with getting and keeping talented actors. There used to be a time when I watched the soaps and asked why are these talented people on the big screen? Now it seems like they just want pretty faces that they run through like cattle. The audience isn’t dumb. Keep your talented folks and use them. Get rid of the non-actors.

October 29, 2012 at 7:34 pm
(8) unicorn1 says:

Judy, you are obviously a bitter/NEW Days fan. I have been watching since 1984 and Peter is one of the best actors on the show. Penny, thanks for pointing out a few things to her. I really hate it when these new fans of the show, who knows nothing about the show history, goes on a rampage about the older actors. If you want to watch a MODERN SOAP FILLED WITH INCEST (I SAY THIS BECAUSE EVERY MEMBER OF EVERY FAMILY IS SLEEPING WITH ANOTHER MEMBER) TUNE INTO THE Y&R, JUDY YOU MAY ACTUALLY LIKE IT. IT SEEMS TO GET ALL THE RATINGS WITH THE YOUNGER CROWD, SO I GUESS THATS WHAT THEY FIND ENTERTAINING.

October 29, 2012 at 7:39 pm
(9) UNICORN1 says:

Raindrop, I am a straight female who is married and have a son. Yet I don’t find the scenes between Will and Sonny any different than that of any of the show other couple. I applaud the PTB to show this, homosexuals are people too. Nobody is telling you to watch, last time I checked every tv system came with an “off” button. Here is some food for thought, if God made everyone, don’t you think he made Gays too and how do you think they are conceived, by STRAIGHT parents.

October 29, 2012 at 9:03 pm
(10) marie says:

whats hope going to do without bo? it won’t be the same. kristen alfonso will be leaving next. i hope peter will chance his mind and come back.

October 29, 2012 at 10:43 pm
(11) Sandi says:

I have to chime in on the comments about Will and Sonny. I understand that God made us all, and God made us all a little different. BUT I don’t have to watch any pda in any form. My remote came with a FF button and I am not afraid to use it when something comes on I don’t like. lol
In regard to Peter Reckell, he is absolutely one of the BEST male actors on the show. You can see the tears in his eyes when the scene calls for them, and the light in his eyes when he smiles. His anger is very well projected, as well. If there is any actor he doesn’t like working with, it never shows on the program. I know for a fact that I wouldn’t make it 30 years in one job. I just hope his replacement at least looks a little like Bo. I darn well don’t want him coming back a blue-eyed blond, skinny piece of work.

October 29, 2012 at 11:19 pm
(12) BLONDIE says:

i think the way bo is leaving there is plenty of room for him to come back or be replaced. replacing him will be hard because whoever replaces him will not be accepted no matter who it is. i do not see kristin leaving there is no reason for her to leave.

October 30, 2012 at 12:37 am
(13) LKRocks53 says:

Sorry Judy,but Peter will be missed a lot more than any of that under 40 trash would ever be,and at least he got in on Days when it was still at it’s peak in the 80′s and 90′s,unlike now where Corday and Tomlin are ruining the show with Chad,Gabi,Will,and Sonny.

October 30, 2012 at 2:32 am
(14) linda oliver says:

days is not going to be the same with out bo we as fans going to miss you and caroline we are going to miss u too

October 30, 2012 at 10:39 am
(15) joy says:

If peter rockell(Bo) goes off the show for good i will probably stop watching, the show is losing the ones that made the show, if they keep leaving it will be a new soap and i won’t watch. I have watched the show for about 40 years. I really think Peter was a very good actor.

October 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm
(16) teresa says:

why is my comment not posted

October 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm
(17) Rere says:

Bo’s character was an integral part of this show. I have watched this show off and on for years because I could return to it. It was comforting. I am disappointed that Bo was offered another pay cut. Hope without Bo is illogical. The new writers story line needs much work. Btw, homosexual scenes are not what I WANT TO WATCH. So I will be giving up this show. I didn’t mind loosing ol’ fickle Jack, but Lexie is gone, and now Bo! Thank you I will exercise my change channel button!

October 30, 2012 at 7:31 pm
(18) Grammy says:

Goodbye Peter how I hate to see you leave. Have watched since the beginning but now I guess will have to say goodbye also. What use to be a show that kept up with current matters now has gone way to far. I use my FF button alot but it takes away from watching the show. Please back writeres like the ones that made Days a Emmy award winning show, with the trash that is on it now they counld’t win anything. It is just not the showing of two gay guys in bed it is all of the bed scenes that have become a bit to much. There are children awake at the time this show comes on and they don’t see all the sex. I don’t think Mr. and Mrs Horton ever a had bedroom scene the whole time they were on the show, and darn if the show didn’t win emmy awards. Makes me sick

October 30, 2012 at 7:54 pm
(19) lucy says:

Sami is clearly the best match for Ej, end of story.
As for the gay storyline it is time Daytime and Days write it !
And finally for Bo..well he will be missed and this exit storyline although quite sweet is quite anticlimatic for a core character like that..

October 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm
(20) SMH at YOU says:

I’ll miss Bo. He’s a good guy, and Peter’s a good guy, too. For those people dissing the Will and Sonny storyline…get over yourselves. The ONE sexy scene that’s been shown was no worse than any other straight scene between a woman and a man. In fact, go back several years with Bo and Carly. If you don’t want to watch it then don’t. No one is twisting your arm. The fact you brought it up here on a thread for a TOTALLY different topic, well, your homophobic tendencies are showing. Since soaps started gay people have watched and supported the storylines even though not one of them was about a couple they could truly identify with. Now there’s one sweet gay storyline, and you people have to poop on it because of YOUR fears. Grow up.

October 30, 2012 at 9:47 pm
(21) wilma says:

I have been watching Days when it first aired. I am really disappointed to see Bo leave. As for Will & Sonny—-God did not make gays and this scene is so sicking. I tape the show now so I can cut out these sick scenes.

October 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm
(22) Michelle says:

I will miss Bo. I do FF during Sonny and Will’s scenes, but I also FF through most sex scenes. I saw Peter on the roster of Mary Beth’s internet soap, The Bay, the series. It probably requires less time commitment. Kristen Alfanso was excited about her new storylines, maybe it won’t be as bad as we think.

October 31, 2012 at 1:58 pm
(23) Esther says:

I started watching Days the first year it aired. I quit for a few years because of bizarre story lines. It was Bo and Hope that brought me back to the show. Bring Peter Reckell back at all cost! I agree the homosexual public displays of affection and bed scenes are inappropriate for daytime shows.

November 1, 2012 at 12:19 am
(24) Nicole says:

Peter will be missed but he will come back at some point, it might take a while. The last time he left the show it was for a long time but he came back and he will come back again. As for what Raindrop said about Nicole, she isn’t pregnant for real and she and Daniel aren’t leaving the show either. If you read the “Comings and Goings” you will see that Billie (Lisa Rinna) will be leaving the show and Eric Brady is coming back on the show as a priest this time. It will be interesting what will happend now.

November 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm
(25) Candace says:

I love. Bo ..I am sad he is leaving. BO. IS. DAYS OF OUR LIVES. BO AND HOPE. WHAT’S HAPPENING TO NO ONE SOAP???

November 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm
(26) Brick says:

I love Sonny & Will, and I’m straight! They’re sweet. I also LOVE the fact that Kristen is back. And, I’m sure Peter Reckell will be back.

November 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm
(27) tadas1 says:

Peggy did a fantastic job as Caroline in a crisis. She surely should be utilized more in the show. Too much emphasis on same old Setphano DiMeara etc.
Old story lines for a new generation.

November 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm
(28) Vicki in Monterey says:

…to all the haters – keep it to yourself! Peter Reckell is one of a handful of DOOL icons – I hope he’ll come back some day. But if not, yes, he’ll be missed – but after three decades, how blessed he is to be able to do this … ? Good for him. I’m looking forward to “Caroline” coming back, too. It’ll be interesting to see how they’ll cure this devastating disease. Maybe Altzheimers will turn out to be a wrong initial diagnosis. and she has a curable condition. Who knows – I’ve watched DOOL since day ! – and will watch until the curtain falls for the last time.

November 5, 2012 at 10:22 pm
(29) Ellenberry says:

I, too, liked Bo from the beginning. I also liked the actor that replaced for a few years – once I got used to him. I would even like him to come back, until Peter does. As for Will and Sonny, I think they are sweet and fun and I love seeing them be happy together. I don’t think daytime will be doing graphic sex, so relax and enjoy them!

November 6, 2012 at 8:55 am
(30) Nyla says:

With the daytime soaps on the demise the writers and producers should give us what we want. We like our leading ladies and leading men. Keep them. Pay them what they deserve. And quit gearing the story-lines toward a minority of the audience (Will’s gay story) when right now soaps need to hook the majority or us, not just a few. Later when the ratings go up due to good back to its roots story telling you can throw in a few “artistic” stories like Will’s. Now is not the time. Why on earth would Days risk viewership when soaps are being cancelled right and left. It makes me sad.

November 11, 2012 at 11:23 pm
(31) Sharon says:

No, I want Bo back! They could’ve done without some other new male actor if money was the issue. How they portray Bo leaving his young daughter and life with his wife Hope up in the air wasn’t the greatest storyline. I know they left the door open, which I am glad for that little offer they left him with in the future should he change his mind, But, I do know this show pretty well as I’ve watched for over 30 years myself , that
Bo wouldn’t have left his little girl and wife just for his mother’s sake. He would’ve got her help yes, but to go off from them like that and Hope accepting his leaving got me. They were inseparable and have a strong connection to one another. I remember when Bo and Hope both left the show before. I do hope Christian stays on. But there is no replacement for Peter, as they tried this before and it just wasn’t the connection that Peter and Christian had on the show between them as actors. If it was money, they should have given Peter a raise. What ever happened to employee loyalty with a company anyways? Doesn’t that count for anything any more?

December 29, 2012 at 1:21 am
(32) Dee says:

I have been watching days since the 60′s on and off (when Doug and Julie became an item and then so in real life – I remember them falling in love to “The Look of Love”!). But I am Peter’s age, and he is the only BO for me. Yes, they tried with Robert Kelker Kelly and it worked because he was with Billy NOT Hope. I was so glad when Bo and Hope reunited. The show is getting stale in so many ways. I think Doug and Julie should be regular staples on the show and Doug’s Place would be fun to have back. Why they never used Nadja’s (Chloe) Opera talents along with Joe Mascolo (Stefano), I will never understand. The new kids are annoying. I do NOT like Chad at all. I can’t watch him, it’s that bad. I love Will. He reminds me of a young James Dean in his acting. He is amazing. Sonny is ok, and although I am pro gay rights have a gay brother, I don’t like looking at the make-out scenes myself. I can only imagine what middle america thinks! Kayla I see no use for at all. She has no husband or kids on the show, and she just annoys the heck out of me as does, sadly, Jennifer. She’s a busy body and more than anything, I am so mad Days did NOT do a tribute to Matt Ashford (Jack). They bring him in, then let him go. He is so much fun when they put him in comedic roles. They better exit Billie soon, because it’s a waste of money having her on the show (that money could have gone to keep Bo). Her lips are so overbearing, and hopefully she’ll be gone for the new year. Abe is nice and I think they are unfortunately trying to pair him with kayla. Roman – poor poor Roman – there is never any work for him, and they only bring him on when there’s a case. It’s now the Sami show. She gets every cute guy in Salem. Why??? Her head is so big being on the show and having the Biggest Loser to host as well. Love Kristen and Nicole. They make the show. The new Cameron? Please! The old one was a lot better looking and I liked him. I don’t like this guy at all…that’s just my two cents.

January 22, 2013 at 2:22 pm
(33) Jill says:

Days was the first soap I ever watched and it was only because of Bo. I have loved him since 1983 and even named my first precious cat “Bo” (His full name was Bo Brady Kiriakis Kitty!) I think Peter Reckell will be greatly missed but I agree that the story lines in the past which included more of the Brady’s and Hortons made sense.