1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Days of Our Lives Renewed Through September 2014

By January 9, 2013

It's official. Days of Our Lives, which celebrates its 12,000th episode on Friday, January 11, has been renewed for another year. The soap's extension through 2014 has been confirmed by Jennifer Salke, president of NBC Entertainment.

"We are thrilled to announce that Days of Our Lives is not going anywhere. It is NBC's longest-running drama series by far and is one of the most historic brands in television," said Salke. "We commend Ken Corday and the entire creative team on continuing to keep the stories and characters fresh, exciting and relevant year after year."

"Days of Our Lives has maintained a loyal and dedicated fan base for more than four decades and continues to reach a new generation of viewers," added Steve Mosko, president of Sony Pictures Television. "We appreciate NBC's support over the years and, as the show celebrates this significant milestone, we are thrilled that the show will continue to be a part of the NBC family."

Executive producer Ken Corday follows in the footsteps of his parents, Betty and Ted Corday, who co-created Days of Our Lives and helmed the series for many years.

"After so many years in the homes and hearts of our loyal fans, I'm both humbled and elated to say it's 2013 and we're still going strong," said Corday. "I am equally proud that the sense of family which my mom and dad established in our show 48 years ago, is still what drives it today. As we celebrate our 12,000th episode with an amazing cast and great support from our network, we look forward to what's yet to come!"

Days of Our Lives, which premiered in 1965, has garnered 215 Daytime Emmy nominations and 32 wins during its run on NBC. It is produced by Corday Productions in association with Sony Pictures Television.

Comments

January 9, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(1) RJ says:

CONGRATS!!!! I have been a faithful watcher since the beginning…thank you for the many laughs, tears, eye rolls, throwing things at the TV, and loving every second of it! While I may not always like some of the story lines, I will never give up on my “DAYS!” I wish another long run not just 1 more year, but many years to come! Thank you for everything!!!!

January 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm
(2) Michelle says:

I’m so glad we don’t have to worry about it. Did we find out sooner than usual. It seems like I worry about it longer than this. Congratulations Ken!! We appreciate your dedication to this Days family. I know you sacrificed a lot for this show. We love you!!

January 9, 2013 at 4:26 pm
(3) me says:

Lucas and Sami for ever and kids :)

January 9, 2013 at 4:59 pm
(4) Linda says:

Soooo Glad…Been watching forever from 16 to 65 years old I sure would miss Days…

January 10, 2013 at 7:53 am
(5) Eadie! says:

I’ve been watching DOOL since 1970, and hope to watch a lot more years!! . . . I love growing old together! Thanks for the RENEWAL!!

January 10, 2013 at 10:03 pm
(6) M hills says:

I too have watched “Days” since the beginning but I’m about to stop cold. I am completely disgusted by Will Horton in this”gay”role you have him playing and want to gag every time he and Sonny start their sickening displays! Seriously?

January 14, 2013 at 4:09 pm
(7) suzy rw says:

GREAT!!!
I have been watching DOOL since I was 13 and am now 52-53 this year!!

January 14, 2013 at 5:00 pm
(8) Helen H says:

Terrific!!! I have watched since its premiere all those years ago. Loved some of the changes, did not like others but have stuck it out and been satisfied. Miss all those who have left, like so many of the Hortons,such as Tom, Alice, Bill and Mickey and Tom Jr, Marie, Laura and so many more. I am so glad McDonald Carey’s voice is still used to keep with the history of the show.

January 14, 2013 at 5:13 pm
(9) Joey G. says:

Congratulations, Days, I love the show and the innovative new story lines. One of the most positive and true to life romances is the love story of Will and Sonny. I am even enjoying the storyline arc with Gabi because these are situations that occur in the real world; there are so many people that get involved and entangled in that web of deceit because of that fear of just being who they really are. I applaud the writers and actors on a job well done. I look forward to watching for another 40 plus years.

January 14, 2013 at 6:33 pm
(10) Sabrina says:

I am so proud they give DAYS other chance other year! I had been watching since 1984 and keep stronger no matter how bad or good I keep watching I love that stories and actor/actess keep up the good work!

January 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm
(11) Relizabeth says:

I to have watched from the shows beginning. When I worked, I would tape the show so I didn’t miss a episode. I will continue to watch and and love the return of old actors.
What I do not like is the gay story with Will & Sonny. Some scenes are embarrassing when my grandchildren are in the room. Please drop this story line.

January 15, 2013 at 4:01 am
(12) Joyce S says:

i’ve just started watching days right after ABC cancelled their 2 soaps, so i’m a new viewer. i love it. i had no idea what i was missing. so i will watch as long as i’m breathing. glad they are staying on the air. thanks to all who makes this show awesome…

January 15, 2013 at 4:26 am
(13) TAMMI says:

CONGRAT’S! I HAVE BEEN WATCHING DAY’S FOR OVER 40 YRS AND,I’M PLEASED TO LEARN THAT THE SHOW WILL STILL GO ON.IT’S THE BEST SOAP EVER AND WILL ALWAY’S BE!!!

January 15, 2013 at 10:28 am
(14) Memom says:

very good news. I started watcing DOOL in 1965 with my mom. She is almost 90 now and still watches it.
We love every bit of it EXCEPT the homosexual scenes. Yes, we are
old-fashioned; but more so biblical.
Hope Days lasts til I’m 90!!

January 15, 2013 at 1:12 pm
(15) JAM says:

Happy to hear DOOL is staying on. They are my extended family since 1967. While I have lost a generation of members of my family; they have been a constant.

January 15, 2013 at 3:27 pm
(16) groundhoggirl says:

So happy DOOL has been renewed! The story lines are well divided between the characters and are very well written. I have to laugh everytime there are “private” conversations right smack in the middle of the Brady Pub or Sonny’s coffee house about the paternity of Gabi’s baby! Are you kidding me? Let’s talk about the big secret where everyone can hear! I’m on the fence about Sonny & Will’s love story. I thought I was a pretty open-minded person, but I have to admit the love scenes are a bit too much for me. Of late, I have fast-forwarded thru them. And BTW, this is not DOOL’s first gay story line. Many, many years ago, they tried, ever so briefly, to have a woman falling in love with Julie. I don’t quite remember all the details, but it was short-lived and not well accepted by the viewers. At that time, (the early 70′s) there was no openess about being gay and it was quite a shocking subject. I’m glad those restraints have eased up and gays are free to be who they are.

January 16, 2013 at 10:07 pm
(17) GreatDane813 says:

Please understand, M hills, Relizabeth, and memom, the Holy Bible also states to “Do not covet thy neighbor’s wife”, do not commit adultry, do not lie, and sooooo many more that the one and only thing that you find offensive. I, as a Christian gay man, find the cheating, adultry, changing of DNA more than once, MURDER, and so many much more demoralizing characteristics that you seem to enjoy and keep you coming back for more, is what seems to be the most hypocryritical. You should be ashamed. It is a soap opera for heaven’s sake, get over the fact that it is not real. However, souls made by God Almighty, who by the way, does not make mistakes (if you feel differently, YOU tell him that in your prayers tonight), has everyone of His followers carved on the palm of His palm, may disagree. You see, He is the ultimate judge; NOT YOU. If you don’t like it, or don’t want kids, grandkids to see it, but you have no problems with the cheating, lying, murdering and so on, I suggest you DVR to watch in the privacy and at your me-time. So tune in, enjoy and praise one of the only serials left on the main networks the courage it deserves for telling a real-life storyline. Yest, they ALL be gone. Who will you judge then?

January 16, 2013 at 10:26 pm
(18) GreatDane813 says:

Please understand, M hills, Relizabeth, and memom, the Holy Bible also states to “Do not covet thy neighbor’s wife”, do not commit adultry, do not lie, and sooooo many more than the one and only thing that you find offensive, ia not one of the Commandments. I, as a Christian gay man, find the cheating, adultry, changing of DNA more than once, MURDER, and so many much more demoralizing characteristics that you seem to enjoy and keep you coming back for more, is what seems to be the most hypocryritical. You should be ashamed. It is a soap opera for heaven’s sake, get over the fact that it is not real. However, souls made by God Almighty, who by the way, does not make mistakes (if you feel differently, YOU tell him that in your prayers tonight), has everyone of His followers carved on the palm of His palm, may disagree. You see, He is the ultimate judge; NOT YOU. If you don’t like it, or don’t want kids, grandkids to see it, but you have no problems with the cheating, lying, murdering and so on, I suggest you DVR to watch in the privacy and at your me-time. So tune in, enjoy and praise one of the only serials left on the main networks the courage it deserves for telling a real-life storyline. Yest, they ALL be gone. Who will you judge then?

January 17, 2013 at 2:56 pm
(19) Joanne says:

Congradulations DOOL, I have been a viewer since day one, just when I was going to quit watching you came up with a good storyline.