1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Spotlight on Days of Our Lives' Freddie Smith

By January 16, 2013

freddie smithFreddie Smith's climb to daytime popularity began as soon as he was cast as Sonny Kiriakis. The openly gay son of Days of Our Lives supercouple Justin and Adrienne, Sonny is not only comfortable with who he is, but proud of it.

Smith has made the character strong, confident and warmly appealing; a tribute to his fine acting.

Check out this feature to learn 25 facts about Smith. You can access it, here.

Photo Courtesy: Getty Images/Jason Merritt

Comments

January 16, 2013 at 9:47 am
(1) BLONDIE says:

I like the Wilson story line, but I think Will should buck up and be more in control of himself and his surroundings. Sonny is great he already know who he is I hope him and Will can get past this little bump in the road because Will is going to need sonny’s support to beat Gabi and Nick.

January 16, 2013 at 11:11 am
(2) Tom Thunder says:

I hate this gay story line especially when they kiss. Most people are turned off with this. We watch on tape so we can fast forward

January 16, 2013 at 11:16 am
(3) EA says:

Harold Wentworth? Can someone please help me out what the heck this character did back in 2001-2003? Thanks. May have been a short period I didn’t watch DAYS in my 25 year plus viewership but don’t remember Harold.

January 16, 2013 at 11:48 am
(4) Cryin4days says:

Unless you’ve polled Days viewers, you can’t make the claim that most viewers are turned off by the Will/Sonny storyline. Speaking soley for myself, I think Chandler and Freddie have done a fantastic job portraying these characters.

January 16, 2013 at 12:00 pm
(5) kay hansel says:

Freddie Smith is doing a wonderful job on Days of our Lives in his portrayal of Sonny. His scenes with Chandler Massey (Will) are so compelling and I feel that they bring this storyline to life in s realistic and natural way. Freddie can portray a broad range of emotions so naturally that it hardly seems like he is acting -he is so talented. I started watching the show because of this storyline and I am officially hooked. I hope Will and Sonny will become the next Super Couple and we get to see more of Freddie in future episodes.

January 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm
(6) Laurence H says:

@Tom Thunder, that sounds like a personal problem….

January 16, 2013 at 3:59 pm
(7) Dmitri says:

Actually, Tom, most people like or are neutral towards this storyline. I know that I enjoy it! If you don’t like it, don’t watch the show and stop spreading your homophobic filth everywhere.

January 16, 2013 at 4:34 pm
(8) Montira says:

I’ve read many negative comments on the WilSon storyline on seemingly every Facebook page that pertains to the show. It’s fine if people like Tom are not enjoying it and want to voice their displeasure. But if they really want the “gay storyline” to end, they all have to write to Ken Corday and ask/demand that Corday put a stop to it. If they put enough pressure on Corday, by threatening to boycott the show if he doesn’t heed, then maybe they might get their wish. Merely complaining on this site and the various Facebook pages will not effect any changes–especially if it turns out that Corday and his team don’t even read the comments,at all.

January 16, 2013 at 6:30 pm
(9) Dmitri says:

OK, and people on Facebook also post many positive comments about the storyline, and even Deidre, Freddie and Chandler talk about how they are flooded with fanmail about how great the storyline is. Besides, the writers never listen to what the fans want, so sending emails will not change anything, which is good in this case.

January 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm
(10) Michelle says:

I won’t waste time on the homophobic comments being posted here since they are unbased.

Freddie is a great actor. Kuods to him for being so devoted to playing Sonny. It’s too bad the show doesn’t utilize him more. Will and Sonny are the best couple to be on the show in such a long time. They at least depict real love. I guess some people are turned off be seeing real love play out. Too bad. Because I love to see it play out before my eyes.

January 16, 2013 at 11:15 pm
(11) loa says:

I have really enjoyed the Gay Story line, Freddie Smith is doing a wonderful job, amazing actor, Love watching him, just wish Dools would use him more, I think I like this Story line so well, is that This Story u can really see it in every day life, Love how WilSon, friendship grow, then went into love/relationship. He works very very well with Chandler, Which he to is amazing Actor, when something happens or when they are sad I feel for them. I am sure that is what they want from their fan!! I just hope Freddie/ Sonny and Chandler/Will are the next super couple, not because of the Gay Story line, but cause, they have such a strong Friendship and a strong love between them, U can totally see that, Just hope we see more Freddie/ Chandler Scenes Love it, Hands down on Freddie!!!

January 17, 2013 at 1:32 am
(12) Ladybug says:

I do not like the gay storyline with Will and Sonny in bed and kissing. I have nothing against those who choose that lifestyle but I do not want it flaunted in my face because it is not normal. Also, children are at home and see this which is not healthy and will lead to (possibly) them role playing what they see. Things like this on tv are known to mix up minds of young children. Stop the gay sexual hints. There is too much sex on Days anyway. They son’t seem to be able to stand on their feet over three minutes at a time before they hop into bed with someone. It is sick.

January 17, 2013 at 9:53 am
(13) BLONDIE says:

EA Harold Wentworth aka Ryan Scott played a role with Jack and Greta in vegas where Oliver Wentworth owneda club. The dressed a show girls to escape the mob and Jack was pretending to be gay.

January 17, 2013 at 12:42 pm
(14) Samantha says:

I’m straight woman. I am 27 year old. I love Wilson storyline. It’s the only storyline I watch on this show.

If Wilson make people sick why you even waste your time and write a comment? Ignore them. Wilson has their fans who will support them always. ALWAYS! Gay storyline is the best thing that happened on this show for ages. Love Wilson so much. Thanks DAYS for this wonderful storyline.

These homophobic comments make me sick. DAYS FB page full of these homophobic comments, I’m not going there anymore, because of that. Sad.

January 21, 2013 at 4:39 pm
(15) mec says:

Love Freddie and Chandler…..Freddie has the most calm, not-nervous demeanor that is amazing!

January 21, 2013 at 4:50 pm
(16) robert says:

ok i thank days is going down
now put 2gay guys on tht is so sick
it ok be gay butt dont show it on tv put
in bed now just way to shick thank god for fast f
the 2guys are on the show i just fast f

January 21, 2013 at 5:42 pm
(17) Jellen says:

I have been watching Days since day one. There have been stories I liked better than others, and some I disliked. Lately I don’t watch very often because, although I am NOT homophobic, the intimate scenes between Will and Sonny make me extremely uncomfortable.

January 21, 2013 at 6:46 pm
(18) CAROLE says:

I have no problem with the “gay” story line. I have a problem with “love” scenes. We all know about “sex”. Do we really need to be in the bedroom????????

January 21, 2013 at 7:06 pm
(19) Charles says:

Freddie Smith says in real life he is straight. But if he kisses a man and performs as gay, he has committed a homo-sexual act. He is also getting paid to do these things. And that makes him a prostitute. No other way to see it!

January 21, 2013 at 8:01 pm
(20) David says:

“TomThunder”? Can you come up with a more gay name? lol. For not being gay Freddie sure seems at ease with the kissing scenes. Now that’s real acting.

January 21, 2013 at 8:04 pm
(21) David says:

Charlie, why are you watching this sinful show? Stick Leviticus up your arse and stop being a bible thumping hypocrite.

January 22, 2013 at 12:03 pm
(22) Lorraine says:

So ladybug, you think that being gay is a choice? Gee, you must be brainwashed somehow. Do you have no thought process in this issue? Your kids should not be watching soaps, so watch in private. Or, do you think that pre marital, extra marital, divorce are alright, but gay love is not?
Open your mind, no matter how difficult that may be. It is there and not going away. Even our President spoke of inclusion. If you don’t like the story line, shut the tv and do what you know best.

January 22, 2013 at 2:46 pm
(23) Joanne says:

If your as straight as you say you are, how can you ever play a role ithat you play, I find it discusting and revolting, as far as I’m concerned you can leave the show and take your gay friend Will with you!!!

January 25, 2013 at 9:24 am
(24) Cee says:

wow! I really lovee Sonny/Freddie. He and Will make gay looks so good and exiting, if I were a guy I would definately want to be with Sonny/Freddie. I want to see Will and Sonny get married and beat Nick at his game. Please Days let them get married, I just enjoy seeing them together, don’t let them be apart for long. LOVE them BADDD!!!!

February 14, 2013 at 10:11 am
(25) Mary says:

I am really appalled by the Sonny Will storyline also. I believe this is making an impression on young people watching and they will think this is normal. I am sorry but I also do not watch when these scenes areon and am really disappointed in Das for putting tis in. This should not be flaunted on national tv if you want that lifestyle keep it personal not on tv. I don’t want my grandkids to think this is normal in any way. My own children have expressed how this makes them cringe so disappointed in this

April 9, 2013 at 11:12 pm
(26) flex belt coupon codes says:

Thiгԁ, distrіbutors are so confident in its skills that theу
provide money bаck guаrantees for pеople today who attempt it out.