1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Days of Our Lives Wins 2013 Daytime Emmy Awards

By June 17, 2013

chandler masseyDays of Our Lives scored two big wins at the 40th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards on June 16, 2013.

Chandler Massey (Will) won the Younger Actor in a Drama Series trophy for the second year in a row and was clearly taken by the honor. He thanked NBC, Corday Productions, the show's cast, crew, writers and producers.

"All the credit goes to you guys," said Massey. "Also, this  this isn't fair, because I have the best actor to work alongside and that's Freddie Smith (Sonny, who was also nominated in the category). Freddie, you are phenomenal. You are absolutely incredible, and it's my privilege to work with you."

Days of Our Lives also won the coveted Outstanding Drama Series trophy. Executive Producer Ken Corday accepted the award, noting that it was "worth the wait -- 38 years ladies and gentlemen" and thanking all the appropriate parties from NBC to Sony to the show's "unbelievably beautiful" cast.

Then, he told a short story about his parents. "Ted and Betty Corday started this  show in 1965," recounted Corday. "It received its only Emmy award for best daytime  show in 1975, 38 years ago. Today is breaking the ice, again. Today is thank you to all the other nominees. Today is Father's Day. Today is my birthday. Today is a great day to celebrate."

Peggy McCay (Caroline), who was nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series, lost to Heather Tom (Katie, The Bold and the Beautiful).

Arianne Zucker (Nicole), who was nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, was unsuccessful in his her bid. General Hospital's Julie Marie Berman (ex-Lulu) took home the award.

Photo Courtesy: Getty Images/Mark Davis

Comments

June 17, 2013 at 6:50 am
(1) Joe says:

Great for Days although it’s been another bumpy year there have been others yeras were there were more deserving but didn’t win or even get nominated so I’m glad for them. None of the shows have outstanding years so this year was up for grabs just glad GH,Y&R,B&B and DAYS are still on TV.

June 17, 2013 at 8:58 am
(2) BLONDIE says:

CONGRATS!! To the Days producers and an amazing cast. It’s been a long time coming and a special congrats to Chandler well deserved, to bad they don’t give out an award for best couples because you and Freddie are great. I’m glad for Mr. Anistan and I hope Jennifer was watching to see what an amazing dad she has. To all you nay sayers who say lowest rating, show going to be canceled, worst soap on tv….BOOYAH!!!!!!!

June 17, 2013 at 10:18 am
(3) LukeNoahFan says:

Incredible that he’d win an Emmy and Van Hansis, a much better actor in a much less heterosexist gay storyline, wouldn’t. What a shame!!

Obviously, only actors portraying gay men who knock up girls after their coming out when they’re “having a bad week” on the show, win Emmys…

June 17, 2013 at 10:53 am
(4) DOOLforever says:

@LukeNoahFan…you speak of the actual storyline, and not of the actor. Last I checked, it is the actor’s ability and what he can do *inside* of the storyline provided to them. Don’t down a wonderful young actor due to the fact the storyline is less than desireable. Give credit where credit is due and some people will look a lot less bitter.

June 17, 2013 at 11:42 am
(5) EJK says:

CONGRATULATIONS to Chandler Massey and Days, but especially Chandler who bravely develops a controversial storyline with apparent ease and skill and makes his character true and likable.Freddie Smith is also terrific and has perfected a nuanced performance that compliments Chandlers’
.Days deserves their award alone for successfully creating this storyline .

June 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm
(6) Laurence H says:

I love DOOL, but really? Outstanding Drama Series? At least it was a writing Emmy otherwise I’d really think something was foul. But NOOOOO!!!! Arianne Zucker should have won!! She has been phenomenal this year with Nicole and constantly having to pine over emotionally unattached, unavailable men…like she really couldn’t walk down the street and not have 10 dudes lining up for her. Chandler Massey, I don’t think deserved to win, but it was predictable so whatever.

June 17, 2013 at 12:49 pm
(7) EA says:

I’m happy and congratulate DAYS for sure. But the overall award show had to be the cheesiest thing ever, haha. That CNNHN gal hosting was basically just plugging her own music album and the earlier couch interviews were so clunky. And what’s this bias with all the Talk gals? Seems like they were more featured to a degree. There was tons of material for Joel McHale on THE SOUP to talk about so can’t wait to see them laugh it up over the whole award show, haha.

June 17, 2013 at 1:48 pm
(8) Lucas Case says:

My partner Adam and I are so proud of you, Chandler! We watch for your storyline everyday and appreciate your great acting! Bravo!

Lucas and Adam

June 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm
(9) Elena says:

The show was TERRIBLE. The hosts were awful–what was that singing about? And the couch “interviews” ? I would have rather given the extra time to the actors who were cut off.

June 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm
(10) Connie says:

Arianne Zuker should have won award last night she had my vote, all these actors/actresses work hard, Love Days been watching for years. They won emmy at end of the night it was Awesome!!! Love all the cast but my favs are Chad, Brady, Rafe, E.J., Daniel, John, Stefano, Eric, Sonnie, Will, favorite actress is by far Arianne Zuker she’s great and so good at what she does not to mention beautiful. Love u all, Love Days, Keep Rocking!!!! Connie

June 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm
(11) Sandra M says:

Love and would not miss a moment . Love all actors, glad for Will and sonny, Sammy makes the show and love EJ, so cool. Eric is so handsom and I know it is just a show, but John is such a snob right now.

June 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm
(12) DeDe says:

I hated all the self promotion for HLN and didn’t like the singing, does CBS own HLN because there seemed to be a lot of promotion for them also. They had a lot of Young and the Restless and Bold and the Beautiful stars on but not many Days of our Lives. I was happy about the wins that Days had but felt that Ariane Zucker was robbed of her award. Parts of the show were silly like the interviews right after the wins, not needed. People left soaps or are leaving in the past year of their own accord, it’s sad but I think they have dealt with it better than Days. One other point I felt the show would have been better with different hosts.

June 18, 2013 at 6:00 pm
(13) Laney Baltazar says:

I have been an avid faithful fan of DOOL since 1967 and it is about time they won something.

June 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm
(14) Helen says:

If there was ever a soap that didn’t deserve to win, that was DAYS. They have the worst writing on DTTV and sorry Chandler fans but he is a horrible actor and shouldn’t have won either. Pretty sad the academy now picks the winners based on the gay role they play.

June 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm
(15) Jim says:

Ari was robbed and Chandler didn’t deserve to win, sorry but he isn’t a good actor at all. Maybe if Ari was in a gay role she would’ve won too, how sad.

June 21, 2013 at 9:43 am
(16) Barbara Jacobson says:

I really enjoy watching the Days’ stories develop. Characters bring a reality to the show, and they are interesting as well as glamorous. The show should be credited for introducing new talent as well as highlighting their classy long-time cast. Congratulations for a job well done!

June 28, 2013 at 10:04 am