Chandler Massey effortlessly slipped into the role of Lucas and Sami's son, Will Horton, when he joined the Days of Our Lives cast in 2010. He quickly mastered the insecurities and subtleties of the complicated character, and in 2012, won a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series for his efforts. As Massey's popularity has risen, so has viewers' interest in him. Here are 25 facts about the talented actor.1. Massey stands 5 feet 11 inches tall; he has blonde hair and blue eyes.
2. His nickname is “Chan,” which dates back to his father calling him “Chan Man” as a kid.
3. During his teen years, Massey wore glasses and describes himself as “nerdy.” These days, he’s more of “a geek.”
4. And a quiet geek, at that. “I’m a little introverted” and “a man of few words,” confides Massey. “I’m the kind of guy who likes to read a book.”
5. Speaking of books, Massey prefers “old school hardbacks. I don’t do the Kindle,” he notes. “I keep the books that I buy and read. I have a variety of literature, fantasy, cookbooks and self help books.”
6. His favorite actors are Jack Nicholson and Marlon Brando.
7. Days co-star Camila Banus (Gabi) calls him “a health freak,” and Massey agrees. “My mom is a tri athlete. She always stressed to eat healthy and exercise growing up,” he says.
8. He’s the proud owner of a Vitamix blender, which he keeps in his dressing room. “I named it Johanna, after the character in Sweeney Todd,” shares Massey. “I love my Vitamix and use her daily. For Mother’s Day I made Alison Sweeney (Sami) blueberry oatmeal muffins from [a recipe in] Jillian Michaels' Cookbook.”
9. The native Georgian misses one main thing about life back home. “People in Georgia, like strangers, are much nicer,” says Massey. “You’ll go to a gas station and strike up a conversation with somebody you don’t know. Everyone’s really friendly. It’s that Southern hospitality thing. In LA I feel like everyone is too busy to be bothered.”
10. Massey does prefer one thing about LA. “People are more tolerant,” he notes.
11. He’s made peace with the LA traffic. “At first I’d get so frustrated, when I was stuck in it,” admits Massey. “Now I’ve gotten used to it. It’s like quiet reflection time. I listen to music and just accept it as a part of living here.”
12. When it comes to workouts, Massey likes to hike in the Santa Monica Mountains and “do anything CrossFit or Xfit,” strength and conditioning programs that include everything from running to weight lifting.
13. Massey is a huge fan of classic board games like Risk, his favorite. “I actually brought Monopoly, The Game of Life and Hungry Hungry Hippos to the studio,” he says.
14. As far as hobbies go, “I love playing the piano,” says Massey, who has a keyboard in his dressing room and often tinkers on the piano on the DiMera mansion set. “I like to play classical music.”
15. Meeting Alison Sweeney was a memorable moment for Massey. “I was really afraid of her at first, because she’s kind of intimidating,” he says. “I love The Biggest Loser for one thing, and she’s one of the main characters on Days. Her story is huge... So I was nervous and intimidated.”
16. Upon first being told his Days character, Will, was going to be be gay, Massey embraced the idea. “I was excited, selfishly, because I knew it would mean more screen time,” he admits candidly.
17. Massey’s family and friends’ reaction to the story twist “has all been very positive,” he notes, “although one of my ex-girlfriend’s moms sent me a bible.”
18. The walls of Massey’s dressing room are covered with old, low budget, B movie posters with pictures of his face taped over the main characters. “One day we had this big conversation about B movies on set,” he recounts. “We were talking about The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. The crew put up the posters as a joke.”
19. Massey has an annual pass to Disneyland, but prefers walking down Main Street to going on the rides.
20. He majors in Mandarin Chinese at UCLA. “I’m still learning it. I’m not fluent by any means,” he concedes.
21. His favorite sport is Ultimate Frisbee. “I used to be on the UCLA team,” notes Massey.
22. Massey wouldn’t classify himself as an OCD neat freak. “My place can get messy. I don’t mind messy so much,” he insists. “But I can’t deal with dirt. So I’ll vacuum and Swiffer.”
23. His apartment complex is owned by Dick Van Patten, who just happens to be co-star Eileen Davidson’s (Kristen) father-in-law.
24. Massey proudly calls himself “a perfectionist,” noting that the quality drives him to do his absolute best at everything.
25. Anxious to give back, Massey has begun volunteering for Habitat for Humanity, “building houses and stuff like that,” he says.