1. Entertainment

Two Days of Our Lives Stars Leaving the Show

Jay Kenneth Johnson and Shelley HennigSoap Opera Digest is reporting that Jay Kenneth Johnson (Philip) and Shelley Hennig (Stephanie) have both made the decision to leave the show. This shocking news comes just a week after the announcement that Mark Hapka (Nathan) was let go. Hennig tells Digest "It just feels right. I have been preparing for this for awhile, so I have said my mental good-byes. I will miss the faces I see here every day, but everybody has been really encouraging and has embraced my decision." Her last tape date is Wednesday, February 2, which means her last airdate will be sometime in April.

As DAYS fans recall, Jay Kenneth Johnson joined the cast back in 1999 as the fourth actor to play Philip Kiriakis, Victor and Kate's son. He left in December 2002, and for the next three years Philip was played by Kyle Brandt. Many fans were delighted when Johnson reprised the role in January 2007, and in a bizarre twist, the character of Philip had a face transplant. No word yet as to how Philip will exit the show or when Johnson's final airdate will be.

Shelley Hennig joined the cast of DAYS as Stephanie Johnson, Steve and Kayla's daughter, in April 2007. She took over the role from Shayna Rose, who portrayed Stephanie from July 2006 until she was let go in January 2007. Last year, Hennig garnered a Daytime Emmy nomination for Outstanding Younger Actress in a Drama Series.

Good luck to the very talented Jay Kenneth Johnson and Shelley Hennig in their future endeavors. Their decision to leave DAYS is disappointing to many fans, but hopefully we will see them turn up in another series or even on the big screen.

Pictured: Jay Kenneth Johnson and Shelley Hennig (Philip and Stephanie)

Mitchell Haaseth / 2009 NBC Universal

Comments

January 20, 2011 at 4:44 pm
(1) Sandy says:

Is it just me, but I can’t stand Melanie. She acts like she is 16 years old and I can’t stand her mannerisms.

January 23, 2011 at 3:19 pm
(2) Cheryl says:

No,it’s not just you I can’t stand Melanie either

January 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm
(3) Babe says:

Yes, I agree also – that make three (3) not “feeling” Melanie. She definitely need to grow up!

January 24, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(4) kxiii says:

I cant stand Melonie…..would love to see her go, really crap actress. Im sad about Philip he was the only one that could cast that character right, as for Stephanie good riddens, another pointless actress!

January 26, 2011 at 10:53 am
(5) acejito says:

I don’t like Melanie either. Looks like we all have plenty of company. Can’t find anyone who does.

January 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm
(6) gloria pope says:

i like to be on days of our lives to be brady girlfriend on the show plasese call me soon i will wait on you . i am move and fed 1 .2011 plasese save my job to i get here i love days of our lives show you can call me at 602-635- 8673 i can wait on you can i play like brady girlfriend i dont smock or drugs or drink at all i am 38 years old i have to dauthers but i will wait on all call me .or i can be melanie best friend plasese get me a trouth to show you i can do the job brady i love you plasese you can count on me. i like to say thank you.

January 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm
(7) LISA says:

#6 HUH !!!!!

January 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm
(8) RICK MIOLINI says:

THIS IS FOR MELANIE AND LET YOU KNOW AND THAT IS YOU ARE DOWN BUT LOOK AT THIS BE HAPPY AND YOU NEED TO GROWUP AND LET YOU KNOW AND I KNOW THIS AND THAT IS YOU LOVE NATHAN AND LET YOU KNOW NATHAN TO THANK YOU

February 2, 2011 at 1:26 am
(9) BEtty says:

I love Melanie, she is a beauty and i think she is far better then Stephanie, not sorry to see her go. I will miss The actor that plays Phillip he has far been the Best one yet. Please don’t go! Keep Melanie, She is great.

February 2, 2011 at 11:29 am
(10) Toni says:

I like Melanie and she should get together with Nathan. Philip is great and we will miss him. Too bad he is being let go. Stephanie is shown as nosy, lying bitch and am glad she is leaving. Dr. Jonas should reconnect with Melanie’s mom. I do not like what Stefano is doing with Rafe. This storyline was made during John Blacks era. Get a new writer and get this series going the right direction. Let’s keep this soap. Sorry that Sami is leaving.

February 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm
(11) gino says:

steph sucks. she is a whining girl. so she didnt get the man she wanted. suck it up. phillip whew is like a typical modern guy. he has 2 kids by 2 different women. heck yeah he’s leaving. lol. mel is cool sure she whines abit but why not. her dad got dupped her husband cheated on her. i’m not sure who the writers are but you guys have got to come up with something that includes someone with color. ( no rafe dosent count) abe lexi and maxine. i guess you have your quota of color.

February 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm
(12) patsy says:

i dont like melanie either …shes too immature to play as someone being married and being a mommy

March 10, 2011 at 6:00 pm
(13) Barbarac D. says:

I disliked her from the start! Her little me-helpless- looks and grimaces and her hands–dear g-d her hands—-she barely touches people–and is in the way of herself and her so called ‘acting’ YICK!!!

March 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(14) vanessa says:

I really hope that they arent going to put Melanie and Dario togther. Not cute………..

March 31, 2011 at 2:32 pm
(15) Terry Mowery says:

I think Melanie is an excellent actress. She shows a depth of emotion at the appropriate times and is so beautiful.

April 11, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(16) J'Marcus says:

Days of our Lives — I am disgusted with what happened to those girl’s mother today. Their mother should have been revived and lived. She needs to tell what she overhead.

It is taking too long for the real Rafe to be discovered. You, the writers are taking too long to catch those crooks who has stolen the identity of the real Rafe. I am sick of those crooks (the dad and sons). J’Marcus

April 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm
(17) Tami says:

I liked Stephanie. She was one of those characters you loved to hate.

April 22, 2011 at 9:34 pm
(18) Tiffani says:

You guys are the ones that are childish…how can u not like or hate someon u dont even know???and that is PLAYING someone else???? I love Melanie she is gorgeous and a very talented actress…since I dont know her personally I wont judge her and be cruel pointlessly….

April 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm
(19) tiffani says:

I LOVE MELANIe she is awesome and gorgeous and a very talented actress how can people judge her when they dont even know her and she is playing a character people not herself!!!!!

April 22, 2011 at 9:44 pm
(20) tiffani says:

ya true….stephanie is a bitchy, judgemental, hypocritical, selfish and nosy self-rightous spoiled brat….

April 28, 2011 at 2:33 pm
(21) loca says:

absolutely hate melanie. she looks like she’s about to pass out and needs to eat. Stephanie is cute, if only they’ll give her better roles to play, she would be a dominant force of the show. Melanie should go instead. Will miss Philip ahhhhhhhh to many faces are changing and my faves better not leave cuz if they go, I might go as well

April 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm
(22) Sue says:

I think a good actress is one who is hated. That means she really gets to you and pushes all the right/wrong buttons. I love Melanie. Shes very young and thats what she portrays on the show, a young, stubborn girl with no bedside manners. Shes every teen in America!

As for the new Taylor, I hate her. She played the roll of Ava well and I just dont feel the chemistry with her and EJ. They should of kept the old Taylor in the show. I felt the chemistry btwn her and Ej everytime they were together. Ej with a good girl! It was truly original!!!!!

June 17, 2011 at 9:36 pm
(23) Mana says:

If what I just read about Sami leaving is true, then I’m sorry but I have no reason to watch, I’m a sami, ejami, safe and dool fan in that order, I agree stefanie is someone you love to hate, these days!! Taylor wish she’d jump off the pier or under a bus regardless of who’s playing her, i’ve always loved hating Nicole. I hate what they’ve got Ej doing and saying, particularly to Taylor, quoting shakespeare to her, saying he’s never felt anything like it before, I wanna throw up!! I hate seeing ej with anyone but sami so if sami goes i won’t want to watch it, so i won’t watch it. I think its deliberate, I think they’re killing it off!! WHICH SUCKS!!! Why do this when so many people love it for what it is, the way it was!!!

August 10, 2011 at 3:53 pm
(24) Tamara says:

I would rather see Melanie 10 to 1 over Stephanie (Shelley Henning) she did not do that role justice. As for Melanie(Molly Burnett) I think her character is wonderful and she does a great job doing it. As far as her acting like a teenager, ” that is called ACTING”. She wants you to believe she is immature and from what I’ve read here, she’s done a great job.

October 27, 2011 at 8:05 pm
(25) sue from melbourne says:

I have just learnt that Sami is leaving the show. I am totally devestated. only watch the show because of her. She is a brilliant actress and love the EJ and Sami saga. It is definitely not going to be the same. Everyday I look forward to coming home and watching the show.

April 26, 2012 at 6:04 am
(26) Peachy says:

Melanie is such a brat, and had broken up so many good relationships. She would have had it made in the shade with Phillip, but she blew that, too, by her baby ways. (The only sympathetic factor toward her is that she did have a very difficult childhood, and then lost her adoptive parents in a terrible car accident).

June 4, 2012 at 6:09 pm
(27) Grammy J says:

I’m so glad to have John and Marlana back on the show. I think Melanie should continue to stay on the show, as she is a wonderful actress. I’m sorry to hear Lexie is leaving, but I understand why she wants to leave the show. Will miss Carrie, but not Austin. Will miss Madison, but not Ian. I do not like the new Will story line at all. I was glad to see that Stefano, EJ, and Sami FINALLY are getting a taste of their own medicine. I think Gabi should leave instead of Melanie. I’m glad John, Marlana, Lucas and Carrie are back on the show. When will more secrets from Alice (Mrs. H.)
be on the show? How old is EJ supposed to be exactly on the show since it doesn’t fit with his bio character? He should be closer to Will’s age!