1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Janet Di Lauro

Soap Opera Weekly Magazine Shut Down

By March 22, 2012

The soap opera world has lost one of its greatest champions. Inside sources report that Soap Opera Weekly, a magazine that premiered in 1989 and covered Days of Our Lives strongly for over two decades, has been shut down.

Insiders say that several staff members were let go, while others will be reassigned to new positions at its sister publication Soap Opera Digest.

Soap Opera Weekly's premiere issue, dated November 21, 1989, featured a Days of Our Lives cover with actors Stephen Nichols (ex-Steve) and Hunter Tylo (ex-Marina). The headline read: Bye, Bye Marina! Tylo Ditched by Days. The issue also included a news story on all the real-life pregnancies behind the scenes at the soap; among them, actress Mary Beth Evans (Kayla), producer Shelley Curtis, writers Dena Higley and Anne Shoettle, and Susan Fallender, the wife of actor Charles Shaughnessy (ex-Shane).

As a member of the magazine's original staff, today marks a sad day for the daytime television industry. The publication began as a strong editorial force and was the first weekly magazine devoted to soap operas.

Comments

March 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm
(1) Maggie says:

I’m really sorry to read this. It’s just one more reflection of the way the soap industry has gone.

March 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm
(2) Danielle says:

Thank the damn networks, primarily ABC, for canceling iconic, beloved, and wonderful soaps. We’re done with ABC and Disney in this house. 1,000s of jobs have been lost as a result of ABC canceling AMC & OLTL and this is the domino effect. Like Susan Lucci said, Frons made 1,000s of people lose their jobs just so he could keep his. He wrecked something so precious in American TV too.

March 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm
(3) Elena says:

I’m just praying that SOD isn’t the next to go. I’ve had a subscription for years and would really miss it. Thanks, networks, for not supporting the soaps. . . soon, no SoapNet either.

March 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(4) cottle says:

More jobs lost thanks to Brian Frons and Anne Sweeney. I have never heard of 2 more condescending in my life.

March 22, 2012 at 8:42 pm
(5) P says:

Very sad to hear this bit of news. I know the economy is in really bad shape right now with many jobs being lost all over the country/world, but I hope at some point that the magazine can be resurrected perhaps by a new owner. Soap viewers have enjoyed this magazine since day 1 as it has been one of the best magazines for the soap opera industry

March 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm
(6) Firstfall says:

Personally, I quit paying it any attention after a particularly rude article concerning one of my favorite Days characters a few years back. I do still pick up SOD occasionally, but never even read an online article by SOW since then because I was so deeply offended.

March 23, 2012 at 3:31 am
(7) Billy Vick says:

Here is something I find SCARILY SUSPICIOUS!! My SOAP OPERA DIGEST subscription ended with the MARCH 27, 2012 issue and unlikely all the years I have subscribed, I have NOT RECEIVED on reminder or offer to renew it. THIS CAN ONLY MEAN they are at the least not going to accept mailorder subscriptions any longer just like SOAP OPERA WEEKLY stopped doing. You see the result of that with only newstand sales was it’s disappearance 4 months later. I hope the employees at SOD have not put down any large deposits on Summer cruises or vacations. This all makes me SICK!

March 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm
(8) Shirley Broome says:

When Frons lead the charge to drop all the soaps, I said at that time that he would be causing a ripple effect that would cost people their jobs. Among those I listed was the Soap Magazines. Believe me, it is no consolation to be right.

I STRONGLY encourage people who can, to join the boycott. I read the other day that the sponcers are watching the ratings of ABC daytime and evening shows going down.

Evadently, Frons and other daytime VPs flunked thier Business 101 classes. Otherwise, they would know that the sponsers will follow where the viewers are.

CBS has already announced that they are not making any changes to their line up. Yes, they dropped some of their soaps, but they didn’t kill the goose that lays the golden viewer. Plus, I am sure they can enjoying owing their high ratings to ABC stupidity.

March 23, 2012 at 9:00 pm
(9) Kari says:

DAMN YOU BRIAN FRONS! I CAN’T STAND YOU! YOU’RE A DISGUSTING PIECE OF YOU KNOW WHAT! YOU CANCELLED GREAT SHOWS LIKE AMC & OLTL FOR MORE DUMB INFO SHOWS! I THINK WE SHOULD CALLED ABC AND DEMAND YOU BE FIRED! SORRY TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS BUT I’M MAD ABOUT THIS.

March 24, 2012 at 5:49 pm
(10) Joanne says:

I always thought Weekly was the best mag out there, back in the day. They had the best interviews, news and photo shoots. Great staff all the way around and they did a fantastic job.

March 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm
(11) Maurine says:

This is a shame. I subscribed until they recently stopped taking subscriptions, which I thought was strange and a precursor to the end. I had noticed that it contained more and more non-soap stuff. I realized this was a necessity in order for the mag to continue. It is sad as I did enjoy the magazine. I hope the other soap mags do not follow.

March 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm
(12) Mo says:

I’ve also noticed that for quite a while their Web site is not regularly updated in terms of showing the most recent magazine cover. This doesn’t bode well. The site also stopped allowing user to comment on stories, which I find odd.

March 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm
(13) Carole says:

I hope TPTB at ABC are happy. I have not & NEVER will watch The Spew or anything other show that replace a soap!

March 26, 2012 at 8:29 pm
(14) KAREN says:

i am so sad to hear about this i was wondering why it wasnt in stores anymore. i will very much miss the magazine. ive been reading it since it came out

March 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm
(15) Eileen says:

Change is inevitable. Soap operas have become a drip. Its time to throw in the towel.

March 26, 2012 at 11:24 pm
(16) Michael says:

I am so sad to hear that Soap Opera Weekly is closing down. I purchased the very first issue, and I haven’t missed an issue in all these years. I love Days reading the latest news in SOW. The mag was never the same since Mimi Torchin left the fold, but this really does suck.

March 27, 2012 at 5:42 pm
(17) Carla says:

I knew when they cancelled my subscription that it was near the end, and yes I opted to sub it with sub to Digest for the remainderof my term which ends in April, I have not received a renewal notice either. I wish they would just be honest and tell us what’s going on, I had to read this on Twitter.

March 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm
(18) Kevin says:

Why can’t it be ABC Soaps in Depth going out of business instead?

That magazine has been completely obsessed with “General Hospital” for the past five years and perhaps had they been a little bit more generous with “All My Children” and “One Life to Live,” when making cover selections, perhaps the best ABC soaps wouldn’t be dead.

I’ll seriously be making cupcakes and celebrating the day ABC Soaps in Depth calls it quits … which should be very shortly!!!!!

March 30, 2012 at 6:11 pm
(19) Helen says:

Wow so sorry, they were a great support for DOOL! I will miss it, so many interesting articles, but soaps just do not seem important to the TV Industry anymore.
The Soap Opera awards have lost me, hardly anyone from Days was nominated, as usual. They have some of the best actors in daytime but alway come up empty. Do not understand?

March 31, 2012 at 12:06 am
(20) Brenda says:

YES, this sucks…. the other soap magazines do not even compare to soap opera weekly, and what they couldn’t even bother to let us loyal magazine readers know that they were stopping it, that’s sad!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm
(21) Mike says:

Yeh, they didn’t renew my subscription late last year. I had a feeling it was being shut down. I think it is being replaced now by some Reality magazine. I looked this week for the new Soap Opera Weekly, and it is not in any stores anywhere. The last issue I found was the April 10, 2012 issue. I think some of the other Soap magazines will close up next, which is sad because I have enjoyed these over the years.

May 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm
(22) Donna Helms says:

I am so sorry that they are gone. I’ve bought every issue until they stopped. I really miss it. I hope it comes back sometime.

May 12, 2012 at 10:31 am
(23) rosemarie says:

I have been looking for magazine for 3 weeks in Publix, now I know why I couldn’t find. Sorry to see it go. We can thank ABC.

May 17, 2012 at 6:49 pm
(24) Barb smith says:

I will extremely miss Soap Opera Weekly. Loved looking forward to it every week. I am a devoted CBS fan but now watch Days and pray no more cancellations.

May 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm
(25) Danita says:

I am really shocked to find out that there will be no more publications of Soap Opera Weekly Magazine. I love this magazine and I always looked forward to purchasing and reading it. I don’t understand what happened and I am going to really miss this magazine. I hope you can find some way to bring it back,

May 31, 2012 at 2:49 pm
(26) Cynthia Daly says:

I;m really sorry to hear this – no wonder I haven’t seen it in the stores for the past three weeks. I always looked forward to the magazine and will miss it very much.

June 13, 2012 at 7:14 am
(27) heidi says:

It was a sad day when I came to the realization tbat SOW would be no more. I have bought it faithfully since day 1 up until I couldn’t find it in mid-April. It was the only soap mag for me…and there will be no other to replace it. It saddens me that the staff was most likely given little to hardly any notice from the power heads upstairs of this flat out backstab to their years of service or loyal fanbase of customers…shame shame on y’all for doing this to your staff and your cobsumers. I hope the staff realizes how much we appreciated all the hard work and creativity they gave us week after week….thank you…and to the shameful way the powers that rule the kingdom upstairs….shame on how y’all sneaked away like snakes slittering without giving your loyal subjects closure….tragic……

July 16, 2012 at 6:30 pm
(28) sheila says:

i thought so when i couldnt find the magazines anywhere.I love the soap magazines like i love my soaps. its too bad all this has to end. i hope we dont lose anymore mags and soap operas.

June 17, 2013 at 8:06 pm
(29) linda says:

A sad day for soap fans. Since i couldn’t watch soaps on the job Soap Opera Weekly was my connection. Sometimes change has some flaws.