1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Joseph Mascolo Dishes His Return to Days of Our Lives

By August 20, 2012

Joseph MascoloJoseph Mascolo dishes his return to Days of Our Lives in the new issue of Soap Opera Digest. The actor resurfaces as Stefano DiMera on the show's Tuesday, August 21 episode.

Mascolo explains that the plan had always been to have Stefano rise from the dead and candidly discusses his disappointment with Days' previous head writing team, Marlene McPherson and Darrell Ray Thomas, Jr.

"They came to me with these ideas that I didn't think were so incredible," he notes.

As for his take on the show's current head writing regime, former co-executive producer Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell, Mascolo is clearly more intrigued.

"I really like Tomlin," shares Mascolo. "I like his insights... I think there are some things that we talked about before he left last year that we're kind of aiming for. We'll see where it goes."

One of the things Mascolo is most looking forward to is the chance to work with Eileen Davison, who is returning as his foster daughter, Kristen.

"That should be very interesting. We did a lot of weird things in the story, when she was on before," he notes.

To read Mascolo's full interview pick up the current issue of Soap Opera Digest.

Photo Courtesy: NBC/Mitchell Haaseth

Comments

August 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm
(1) Dimerafan says:

Salud…it’s good to have you back old friend!

August 20, 2012 at 4:33 pm
(2) Dimerafan says:

Salud! It’s good to have you back where you belong old friend!

August 20, 2012 at 7:18 pm
(3) CynthiaLilith says:

YES! I knew that the Phoenix would rise again! Just hope Billie leaves Salem permanently now. And get EJ and Sami back together for good. In fact, make EJ the son of Stefano again! Glad to have you back. You are a great actor!

August 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm
(4) anni says:

EJ is Stefano’s son,that comes out Tuesday,
EJ and Nicole will be back together befor their baby is born :)
Lucas is not done with Sami and she is not over him,we will have lots of LUMILY coming up in August and Set: and lots in Oct…. :) )
so happy for LUMILY happy new year too

August 22, 2012 at 12:51 pm
(5) BLONDIE says:

i’s just a happy week of new in dool ville this week. keep up the good work. i’m sure that ian’s demise won’t stand up to anything i woud like to see done to him, but i don’t think what i would like is able to be shown on daytime tv.

August 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm
(6) LouisianaDaysFan says:

Happy and glad to have a true veteran actor back on the set. Not demeaning all the others, but you can just see the professionalism when he is on the set especially in scenes with EJ.

August 27, 2012 at 5:15 pm
(7) JB says:

Welcome back, Steffie !
You are way cool…

August 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm
(8) RS says:

He’s on Twitter here — @stefanodimera — follow him!!

August 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm
(9) Pam says:

I like Stephano bein back cuz he gives the show a different dimension…..Welcome back Joseph

August 27, 2012 at 8:55 pm
(10) Vanessa says:

Mi familia! Stefano I have missed you!!! Welcome back :)

August 27, 2012 at 11:25 pm
(11) Susan says:

We were all holding our breath just waiting to see how Stephano was
going to come back. It just isn’t Days without Stephano…it just isn’t.
WELCOME BACK JOSEPH MASCOLO…YOU ARE WONDERFUL…
And, I think you should take Kate back….she reallly does love you…and you need someone to love you. Although at times I COULD JUST CHOKE HER I get SOOOOOOO MAD AT HER…You are the best thing in her life and maybe you taking her back will soften her up. We can only hope.

August 28, 2012 at 12:47 am
(12) John says:

It’s great to see Joseph (aka: Stephano) back on Days. Joseph is 83 years old so it is good to see him finish out his acting days on Days. An internet story had Joseph going to The B & B during August 2012. Apparently, Mascolo was not getting something from Days that he thought he deserved. I’m glad things could be worked out so Mascolo could remain with Days. Here is the website:

September 3, 2012 at 6:10 am
(13) Katefano1 says:

comment #12

Hi John: you have your info wrong that story about Joe Mascolo leaving was back in 2001 .and yes he did go to B&B till 2006 ..lol your info was right wrong year
As for Joe I was wishing for a birthday wish for U 2 come back and I got it however brief before U return late fall.. Days is not the same with out you in Salem..trying to schedule my surgery when you return..can’t get a return date..anyone know?

September 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm
(14) rose says:

Stephano it is good to have you back. You made watching days worth watching.

September 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm
(15) cyndi says:

We are all avid days fans my family, friends, relatives and our neighbors we all love stefano, EJ and glad that Ej is his real son, Bravo!!!! We need to keep and respect our favs who made days last !!! Stefano & EJ and Sammi BO & Hope also John & marlena, Kate Lucas, i understand that new actors have to be added but please keep our favorites Brady also and Abe and many of our old returns. We are glad Eileen Davidson is coming back soory to see Lexie leave but that was her choice also Sorry Jack got killed as we all liked him and would like him to return!!! We also did not want to forget Will is doing a great job and we hope Bo will not leave please keep him and give him his regular roles not small parts he also made days with Hope!!! We love the steamy and the chemistry between EJ & Sammi too hot hope they make more steamy scenes together!!! Bravo for Stefano’s return maybe he will straighten out lying sneaky Nicole she deserve it!!!!

September 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm
(16) cyndi says:

October 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm
(17) BW says:

I would like to see more of Will and Sonny on the coming shows

October 5, 2012 at 10:31 pm
(18) Shirley Wildes says:

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Ken Corday for not letting our great Stefano go again. I just love this distinguished dedicated actor Joe Mascolo and hope he never wants to give up acting as he is like our great Frances Reid.Very dedicated and he is what makes the show carry on forward.Just love it when he gives Kate hell.So sad if you can’t keep Bo on the show but I won’t give up hope of Days having him hang around so we can see Siara grow up like her Mom and get into good kinds of trouble like Bo & Hope’s characters have always done through the years.Like I say Days is a Jewel of the Nile and a Diamond in the Rough that is very valuable.No more newbys just better parts for all the actors & actresses at Days unless they bring back all our original cast of Days like Steven Nichols(Patch), also work Jack’s part so he can pop up out of nowhere. I missed some of the Days since I was gone and so I done know if they had a burial with Jack’s body so like the Great Stefano (Phoenix) rising from the ashes so let it be for Jack and Patch return. Hope Granny Brady doesn’t have to get Alzheimer’s as it seems the show is heading that way?Ken Corday keep the family Jewels shining on and on.