1. Entertainment
Janet Di Lauro

Drake Hogestyn Returning to Days of Our Lives

By October 21, 2013

drake hogestynBig news for Drake Hogestyn fans. The actor is returning to Days of Our Lives as John Black.

According to Soap Opera Digest, Hogestyn resumed taping on Monday, October 21, 2013, and will begin airing in early 2014.

Hogestyn began posting cryptic tweets in early October, hinting that something interesting was happening. Among them: "Whoa...just received an email that may have changed the spin of the ball! #lifeisaboxofchocolates"

He taped his last scenes on March 18, which aired in late June. When last seen, both Marlena and Brady were furious with John over the way he handled the Kristen situation. Then, the character left town on business and hadn't been heard from since.

You can read more, here.

Photo Courtesy: NBC/Mitchell Haaseth

Comments

October 21, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(1) frogless says:

Glad John is coming back!! I know it is too good to be true that he will finally take care of Stefano – either by prison or death, but, it will still be good to have him back!

October 21, 2013 at 6:31 pm
(2) ANNA MARIE says:

JJ TERSEA THEY BOTH NEED HELP. DANEIL BELONG WITH JENN

October 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm
(3) RaeAnn says:

I cant stand John. He used to be charming and smooth. But now he has lost that charm and is not cool or tactful anymore. He needs to get rid of the whisper talk that USED to work for him. It does not Work for him anymore. He could stay gone and I wouldnt miss him.

October 22, 2013 at 12:23 am
(4) Kiltwell says:

I am SO SO SO glad to have Drake is returning as John Black!! I am 73 years old, and have been watching Days since day 1 !! For quite awhile now, I’ve been recording it on my DVR, and fast-forwarding it through the scenes I don’t want to see. Finally, we’ll maybe et a decent storyline!
Drake is the actor who can do it!! Welcome Back!

October 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm
(5) Susan says:

So glad John is coming back..It is long overdue..He is such a great part of Days..Hurray for you John..

October 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm
(6) DaOnenOnlyDeb says:

Hip Hip Hooray!! I know the storylines have left a lot to be desired for the ADULTS who still watch DOOL and the longterm SUPER LOVE COUPLE of Marlena and John is a mainstay for me. I wish “Carrie” would come back and without Austin and give Jordan and Kate a run for it to get RAFE. :D Besides that, I hope Kristen gets out soon so Nicole can have her Brady OR give SAMI a run for EJ again. Sami has ruined it for yet another time. EJ and Nicole looked better together. EJ and Sami…Ejami is no longer a LOVE story. Yes, a man will Love his woman to the point he’d give anything, however, Sami can’t be proud of EJs accomplishments if it has to do with Stephano so that isn’t going to work. Geesh, let JJ, Theresa, Chad, Gabi, Cameron, Nick and Kristen get the heck out of Salem. ENOUGH ALREADY. Send the younger generation back to school and forget about it. Put some HOT storylines in for the ADULTS who AREN’T DEAD YET!!!!

October 22, 2013 at 4:56 pm
(7) Jolena Lover says:

YES YES YES John & Marlena need to mend fences after he picks Brady off the floor after Kristen. I was SO happy when they came back to Salem and I think Salem needs him to do some fantastic undercover work to thwart the Stephano “reign” again. :) For goodness sake, connect the dots as to why Jj is such a mess…Marlena needs to TALK to Jj and help him get his head on straight and straighten up and fly right. At this point, it’s either that or send him to jail. I’d rather see him stay in the storyline but get straightened out so Dannifer can get it on and Abigail can get BUSY with COLLEGE work, find a MAN in college and GET MARRIED and start her own ADULT LIFE without Chad or Cameron. Both of them are leaving the show so what’s Abigail gonna get into then?! For goodness sake, she’s FOOLED AROUND long enough. Theresa should get caught with the drug junk and GO TO JAIL WITH JJ. They should not be released unless MARLENA has talked with them and tried to get them past the past and teach them the tools an adult needs to GET ON WITH IT and stop the junk!

October 22, 2013 at 6:13 pm
(8) Jolena says:

But you know, that would require some INTELLIGENCE on the writers’ part to do something INTELLIGENT to solve JJs’ and Theresas’ problems. I’m just sayin’ Enough of the escapades of the Young & Stupid. Keep them in character and let something on a “Professional” level happen. Marlena is a fantastic PSYCHIATRIST, don’t forget she is a wonderful actress/professional and she and John could do something in Salem to STOP THE INSANITY of YOUTH. She should talk to Nick also….he’s a loose cannon who’s about to go off on Gabi isn’t he? He needs some professional direction in his life also. Hey…why not John & Marlena do some really fantastic PROFESSIONAL storylines to “upgrade” the Salem residents? Are we as a nation so bad off we don’t know how to do something LOGICAL perpetuating the human race? Think about it….without professionals we wouldn’t have businesses nor the hope of tomorrow. The younger generation doesn’t realize EVERY DECISION AFFECTS THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Sometimes you just have to get a PROFESSIONAL to help, there’s no shame in that. Gee, could we have some PROFESSIONAL WRITING?

October 23, 2013 at 12:53 pm
(9) Sharon says:

Welcome back John….Glad he is coming back. He and Marlena need together again….

October 23, 2013 at 1:37 pm
(10) renea says:

Can’t wait for John/Drake to come back to Salem. A million yays.

October 23, 2013 at 4:17 pm
(11) Mary Lou says:

why does Drake always talk like he has a sore throat? It is also a whisper sometimes. His character needs to “shape up”. Happy that Lucas is going to have a bigger plot line. I like him a lot!!!!!

October 23, 2013 at 4:37 pm
(12) Snook says:

Glad John is coming back. Past due.
I haven’t seen today’s episode but I can’t believe Father Eric could think Nicole did anything to him after her loyalty towards him all this time. He over heard an arguement between Nicole and Brady and just jumped to the conclusion that Nicole did something to him because the clerk said the women at the hotel could be one in the same though she wasn’t sure. Nicole has done some bad things in her life but the love and respect she has shown for Eric since his return can’t be denied.
Still can’t stand Teresa, JJ and Kirsten. They need to go!

October 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm
(13) Dbjmac says:

I’m happy to see John returning and that Lucas will be given more air time!!

October 23, 2013 at 8:22 pm
(14) Dee says:

I used to like John but not anymore. I hate how he whispers when he speaks and I dislike the smirk he always has on his face. I also think that he is a poor actor.

October 23, 2013 at 10:03 pm
(15) DaOnenOnlyDeb says:

Too little, too late. THE RANT Nicole threw on the screen today was IT for me. Ken Corday let that get ON THE AIR??!! GOODBYE DAYS

October 23, 2013 at 10:19 pm
(16) Karen says:

Can’t Days just leave well enough alone? I have never liked John and he really put the last nail in the coffin this last go round. He is cocky, demeaning, and holier than thou attitude. I was hoping for a Marlena and Roman reunion, or bring in a new man for her. I feel the same way about Bo. Keep him gone too, either recast with a new attitude or get Hope a new man. These two women are being abused mentally by these two characters. No man in real life would sleep with a woman to keep her away from his son. Not in this day and age of electronics and spyware and other gadgets. Give me a break! Sleep with Kristen and break up with the love of his life Marlena? Come on now, do the writers think we are really that stupid? Please keep him gone.

October 23, 2013 at 10:30 pm
(17) Beentheredidthat says:

Too bad, so sad, too little too late. The powers that be DO still exist. Whatever storylines they come up with now don’t matter. Original characters have been mostly chopped to pieces and traded for low life. Yes, this is a soap opera….but todays monologue by Nicole to Eric ON SCREEN….Days … GOODBYE

October 23, 2013 at 10:59 pm
(18) padrake says:

I’m so HAPPY that the talented Drake Hogestyn is back in Salem & we will seem him soon on our TV screens. I hope & pray Drake/John gets a wonderful,long storyline this time around. Drake has been on the bench WAY to long!!

I haven’t watched DAYS in several weeks because of the terrible writing & storylines as well as Drake being benched for SO long! I’m looking forward to seeing Drake once again!!

I’m also glad Bryan Dattillo is going to have more air time as well. The writers need to put more romance & humor back in their storylines. More like the storylines of the 80′s & 90′s. Also more family storylines like the Horton’s,Brady’s & Black’s. The storylines used to be so much more enjoyable!

October 23, 2013 at 11:59 pm
(19) S.J. says:

Thank you Padrake! Your comment was like a” light bulb moment” for me. I have been searching for an explanation for what I feel in regard to Days. It is DEPRESSING!! Nothing good ever happens on this show that isn’t completely destroyed by something terrible that happens right afterwards! I am so, so sick of spoiled brat criminals and crazy adult criminals that act even worse.Please, Please stop rewarding bad behavior and showing good people as failures! The storylines are a dead end before they even start.The writers have trashed every decent character on the show!
I have been a Days fan since it’s premiere episode but this last year has ruined my favorite daytime show to the point that I don’t even recognize it anymore. If the writing continues as is it will not survive! Please writers, go back and see what made DOOL an emmy winning success in years past and try that formula again! Romance, mystery, comedy relief,strong characters and good interesting story lines!!

October 24, 2013 at 12:09 am
(20) dianajo says:

Yea!! Drake is back as John….

October 24, 2013 at 6:49 am
(21) Linda Williams says:

Great to hear John is coming back…should cause some very, very interesting story lines…

October 24, 2013 at 7:01 am
(22) Linda Williams says:

For those complaining about the drama and etc. on Days…. Certainly nothing new…It’s what soaps do best. I”ve also been watching a long, long time (since I was 16 years old)…I’m now 66… Lots of “drama” happened in all these years. I too sometimes go oh my… goodness..hear we go again… But Days keeps hanging in there when so many other soaps are long gone. I still love it..

October 24, 2013 at 8:08 am
(23) David says:

It’s been strange seeing Marlena and Hope as single women all these months! The one I’m worried about is Jennifer. She just can’t get a break! And her mother has the mental illness problem—I’m afraid all of this is going to drive Jennifer crazy, too–and I hope not! JJ is such a one-dimensional character, and now I’m afraid Jennifer’s daughter will turn up pregnant with a bad seed Dimera’s child, of all people! How much more can Jennifer take? UGH

October 24, 2013 at 2:47 pm
(24) SHIRLEY PARSONS says:

Glad to see Drake is coming back.I used to have poster of him on my wall for 20yrs. till it fell apart
. SHIRLEY

October 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm
(25) JB says:

WELCOME BACK, John !
The show is never the same without you.
I have been watching for eons and well, you don’t discard
family…

October 24, 2013 at 10:34 pm
(26) fanny says:

YES, YES, YES! Welcome back John! I just couln’t bear seeing Marlena so miserable and hooking up with that cowboy Roman. No chemistry between those two…
Now, it’s time for John to man up and explain himself to his soulmate, Marlena.
But, with these writers, I’m skeptical…

October 25, 2013 at 8:39 am
(27) Tiffany says:

For crying out loud i could care less about this man coming back personally Marlena is doing a hella lot better without John in the mix! Her bond with Sami had gotten stronger she interacts with her grandkids & other characters for that matter!! Dont even see the point of bringing him or his weird whispering back..if anything give PETER RECKELL A CONTRACT! Miss Bo waaay more than this dude! Im pretty sure when he comes back their gonna make it the John Black show ;(

October 25, 2013 at 6:26 pm
(28) Karen says:

Welcome back . Marlena is doing better because of the writers DAHH

October 26, 2013 at 9:42 am
(29) babiesnbrides says:

I met him once at NBC Studios during a tour and he is absolutely the sweetest guy! So glad to hear Drake is coming back! Love John Black & Marlena! Love this show!

October 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm
(30) Joanne says:

SORRY TO HEAR DAYS HIRED HIM BACK, NEVER LIKED HIM, HOPE HIS ROLE ISN’T AS BAD THIS TIME AS IT WAS, FOUND HIM TO BE VERY BORING, DON’T FEEL HE BRINGS ANY THING TO DOOL. MARLENA AND JOHN HAD NO CHEMISTRY TOGETHER.

October 28, 2013 at 7:50 pm
(31) Bettina Braun says:

I’m thrilled John is coming back. I just hope they don’t have john and Marlena do those gushy love scenes. They are too old.
That’s why they need to develop new and young actors…or they’ll be shooting all the scenes in a nursing home! Give the young ones a chance. There are some really good actors, especially JJ and Theresa!
Am still trying to figure out why people are upset with Eric and Nicole’s scene? Her acting is superior!

October 28, 2013 at 8:21 pm
(32) Barb says:

Sorry to say that as a long time fan, I haven’t missed John at all. And, I certainly haven’t missed the wishy washy scenes with Marlena.
Wherever he was …I kind of wished she’d have joined him.
Marlena and John haven’t changed experssions in years. Boring to me.

October 29, 2013 at 5:51 pm
(33) Anne says:

I’m with Barb-Marlena and John together are a total snooze. I just don’t see why she should get back w/him after the treatment she endured. Maybe he will throw Kristen off a bridge or something, and then Brady won’t be speaking to him….

October 29, 2013 at 10:10 pm
(34) Jenny says:

Darn it! Was so glad to see the John Black character gone. Oh well the character doesn’t seem to last a long time anymore anyway.
I wish Daniel would expose Kristen on the flash drive already! And Daniel having JJ’s back, hurting Jennifer-bad move.
I did like the storyline of Teresa’s drug overdose. Drugs are not a game.

October 29, 2013 at 10:27 pm
(35) peggy ruegemer says:

i’m so glad john is coming back to days of our lives. john & marlena belong together. please reunit these two love birds together.

October 29, 2013 at 10:32 pm
(36) peggy ruegemer says:

SO GLAD DRAKE IS COMING BACK TO DAYS. PLEASE BRING JOHN & mARLENA BACK TOETHER. wE NEED SOME MORE LOVING SCENES. SO GLAD YOUR COMING BAVK JOHN.

October 30, 2013 at 8:29 am
(37) Maryann says:

Welcome back Drake about time John returns to Salem. You were so missed. Days of our Lives is lacking romance and passion without you. They need a strong romantic couple. Let John mend things with the true love of his life Marlena and bring on the romance. These two have so much chemistry together. Miss their love, playfulness and friendship(By the way you are never too old for this and that is a fact.)

October 30, 2013 at 10:20 am
(38) Debra says:

I guess I don’t mind if Drake comes back — so many others are leaving they have to have someone come back! I’ll bet he’s glad. It amazes me that characters supposedly leave their loved ones (Marlena, Hope) that they have been with for years and you’re supposed to just believe that they’re gone for months and months and they don’t even say anything about it! This is especially true with Hope — Bo has been gone a LONG time, and we are supposed to believe he’s out there in never never land doing his thing while his wife and child and his beloved Mother all just don’t even hardly ever mention his name! I guess it’s a little more believable (in Soap make-believe land) about John because he’s supposed to be on “secret” undercover business.

October 30, 2013 at 10:45 am
(39) carol says:

i hate the way he squints his eyes when he talks. i cant watch him . i want to say just open those eyes up

October 30, 2013 at 7:34 pm
(40) codysmemaw says:

I don’t care about John one way or the other but I think it is time someone see that flash drive. Tired of people always getting interrupted when they start to look at it. Enough already.

October 30, 2013 at 10:02 pm
(41) Jacki C. George says:

I glad he is coming back I like him with Doc.

October 30, 2013 at 10:09 pm
(42) Debra says:

;I agree with Carol on the eye squinting thing. Have you noticed how he kind of leans back and raises one eyebrow? A lot of viewers have commented on how he “whispers”. Of all the long-timers on the show I think more people comment on his gestures more than any other actor ever on days. I think he tends to “overact” at times. Linda, I can relate as I have been watching Days for around 34 years. I started watching after I had my son and didn’t return to work. Before that we didn’t have VCR’s or DVR’s and I worked full-time so I couldn’t watch. I’ve seen everything and there are a lot of characters I haven’t liked — these days, though, I just fast forward through them. Like Linda, I still love it though — some days more than others.

November 1, 2013 at 7:37 pm
(43) Sapihia says:

Thank the heavens, I am so in Love with John/Drake! Deidra/Marlena needs him back, too!!! Let him stay and bring back Matt Ashford….his boy needs him!!!!

November 1, 2013 at 7:40 pm
(44) meri says:

Rae anne, you are a dope!

November 2, 2013 at 4:02 am
(45) Cindy says:

For some reason, I find that MANY of you that post here must take an ugly pill before you post. LEAVE DRAKE ALONE, how would you like it if someone picked apart YOUR real life mannerisms? Stop being so mean. I for one am overjoyed Drake is coming back. He is an incredible actor, the one actor on this show that make every scene a joy to watch. Some of you need to learn MANNERS!

November 2, 2013 at 4:15 am
(46) Linda says:

All I have to say about the news about the FABULOUS Drake coming back to DAYS is HURRAHHHHHH! YAHOOOOOO! YIPPEEEEEE! THANK YOU SOAP OPERA GODS! SCREAMSSSSSS! I have waited for this day since July 19th when he left our screens! This man is an incredible actor – I don’t know another actor that has played 13 characters back to back and had NONE of them even close to who John is. Looks like I’m going to start watching DAYS again in January! Janet, please post a return date when you have this information okay? Thank you! WELCOME BACK DRAKE!

November 2, 2013 at 4:19 am
(47) Peter says:

Some of you are IDIOTS, my God! Do you not READ what you’re going to post before you post it? Yep, just sit there you little cowards and post these attacks on Drake behind your screen names, PATHETIC!

As a male viewer of DAYS I’m very excited to not only see this terrific actor back in Salem, but a character us guys can relate to. Drake can do it all, I’m looking forward to seeing him back on my screen finally!

November 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm
(48) Missy says:

No actually the people here calling others names because their FREE opinion on drake are the ones whom need to learn manners.

November 2, 2013 at 4:39 pm
(49) Missy says:

I haven’t missed the character John either,. I forgot he existed.

November 4, 2013 at 8:08 pm
(50) Louise says:

When is there going to be a story about why Bo isn’t in the show anymore. It is poor writing to just take a very long time actor of the show with a lot of fans and just have him go on a trip and never come home again without an explanation. This sucks !!!! I really love the character of Bo and this needs to be resolved.

November 9, 2013 at 7:31 am
(51) Gwen Morett says:

Thank you for posting this wonderful news!! Not only is Drake a wonderful actor who can portray various personalities in his character, but he is truly one of the nicest people on the planet!!! No other actor loves or appreciates his fans more than Drake does, and it shows! So not only have I loved this character since 1986, but when you have an actor who treats his fans with the upmost love and respect, you can’t help but want to see him back on this show! I have met plenty of actors from DAYS and nobody holds a candle to Drake. He sets a wonderful example not only to celebrities on how to treat fans, but sets an example of how to be a kind and caring human being! Anyone who has met him cannot disagree with me! If you don’t like his character you are entitled to your opinion but those of you who are bashing the ACTOR should be ashamed of yourselves. Apparently you are very jealous people or have never met this awesome man!

November 9, 2013 at 11:58 am
(52) Mar says:

I cannot help but smile each time I think of Drake returning (he should never have left, so out of character for John). IMO he is the BEST daytime actor around. I just hope and pray TPTB are prepared to give him an over the top s/l. He deserves it after all!!! He has always stood behind “Days” which I so admire about him. He loves and appreciates his fans. Am I biased, YOU BET I AM!! WELCOME HOME DRAKE.

November 9, 2013 at 2:18 pm
(53) Annie says:

Hi my name is Annie and I have watched Days since I was a kid and I’m 36 yrs old. I just wanted to say WELCOME HOME Drake you have been missed! So can you tell us what your storyline will be!

November 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm
(54) LeeLee says:

I too, Linda, have watched DOOL since day one! It’s sad that “contracts” have to get in the way of our entertainment! I’m happy to have Marlena back and it will be good to see you again too, John, WELCOME, wish you could bring Bo with you.

November 19, 2013 at 7:15 am
(55) Sally says:

John is the worst actor on the show. He always has the same, stupid expersions with a raised eyebrow, etc. He is too busy posing.

December 15, 2013 at 1:48 am
(56) angela says:

Love IT! I could not be happier that john will return to days he and marlena are so gorgeous together what chemistry the best I have ever seen on any soap!!!

December 15, 2013 at 1:52 am
(57) ava says:

john and marlena are so good looking so good chemistry !!! he nees to be with her!!

January 22, 2014 at 12:58 am
(58) Shirley says:

I am so happy they are bringing Drake Hogestyn back to days. I have watched this show since day one and love all the main characters that made it a number one soap back in the day. The show wasn’t the same without Marlena and John and was never the same without Stefano and Victor. Keep the oldies but goodies and maybe Days will become an Emmy winner again. Also, hate to see Chandler Massey (Will) go. He is a very talented young actor and will go far. The new Will character is okay but is not suited for Sonny. This part needs to be recast, there is no magic there.

February 5, 2014 at 3:03 am
(59) Courtney says:

will drake hogestyn still be on the show or his he done with the show??? Same Question for deidre

February 5, 2014 at 10:29 pm
(60) Judy Brown says:

GREAT NEWS … WELCOME BACK JOHN/DRAKE HOGESTYN you are Days of our Lives. I recorded the show of John finding Marlena on the water front what a great scene…..The best one was where you held Marlena in your arms and danced with her while Smokie Robinson played the piano for you all to dance …… you are the greatest actor on the show ………. please come back your DOC needs you If Days is to be #1 in daytime it must give us what we want … JOHN & MARLENA BO&HOPE THE STARS OF DAYS OF OUR LIVES…………………………

February 17, 2014 at 10:15 pm
(61) cod oil long island says:

Raise thе thermostat Ьy five degrees іf ոecessary tο jumpstart the
system. Other tҺe LPG ɑnd natural
gases ɑге highly flsmmable fuel. Εach member receives heating oill at a much
cheaper rate.

Lօοk іnto my web рage :
: <a href=”http://homeheatingoillongisland.blogspot.com/”>cod oil long island</a>